GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Absolute Best Oil

PureDrive

Go Kart Champion
Oh dang, I have two cars I had better go drain. Interestingly Mobil 1 is the factory fill in the Vettes.

Maybe that is why the current Z06 engine goes into limp mode every 5 seconds........

AR11

Ready to race!
Liquimoly is the best IMO. Motul is pretty good but i would suggest the motul xclean over the xcess. Also, Liquimoly 0w40 has been very good in my car and currently have it in now. Typically my car would burn about 1/2 quart of oil but with the 0w40 LM it hasn't burned a drop

I had thought that the rate at which an engine burns oil is mainly a reflection of the condition of the engine, not of the oil (i.e. rings, bearings surfaces). Can you or someone else fill me in on how this works? Does it have to due with weak oils quickly shearing to a lower viscosity?

capitan828

Ready to race!
We will see when its time for the UOA's. This thread is about which oil is BEST, not which oil will work. If you like mobile 1, motul, castrol, exc, exc then its your car and you can put whatever you want in it. I wont settle with watever works, Im gonna find out which is the best.

euroadb

Go Kart Champion
Does anyone know what oil is in a brand new car? Is there a certain break-in oil that they use? And if so, should I do an oil change or two on a new car before deciding to get the oil analyzed?

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
M1 0w-40 euro
5w-40 or 0w-40 German castrol Edge (made in germany label).

I think M1 gets a bad rap because you can get it for 23 or less (shipped online 5qt jug) or even less in the store. It can't be good if its half the price of something like motul or lubimoly. (which you can also get via amazon now!)

One of the biggest debatesa and arguments you will find on BITOG forums, is that you can't compare the effectiveness of an oil by UOA's. All a UOA does is give you snapshot of your oils condition in the engine, and what wear metals are present. Though you can look at two sets of oil wear metals on your engine (between two oils), that doesn't tell the entire story.

The actual wear on the engine components can only be verified by a complete teardown, and basically comparing two engines who were run in similar conditions for hundreds of thousands of miles.

That has been done, but not on the VW platform. (a fellow did some tear downs on fleet engines that had millions of miles).

m3incorp

Ready to race!
lol that is for the automatics, and is clearly a cooling problem and not because of using Mobile 1. Notice how I didn't deny what you said, however, I know at least 10 people that have the automatics and have no problems at all on the street....track is totally different. The reason for the super upgraded cooling system that will be on the 2017 Camaro ZL1 that will be using the same engine as the Z06 and new 10 speed automatic.

I'd venture to say that the vast majority of car owners are not tracking them, to include VW owners.

I do respect your statement "Motul 8100 X-cess 5w40......best oil I have ever used in a VW".

Maybe that is why the current Z06 engine goes into limp mode every 5 seconds........[/QUOTEl]

Last edited:

m3incorp

Ready to race!
I'm sure VW is putting in what they "consider" to be the best. No I don't necessarily agree. The point is, everyone has a different best. Buy what you think is reasonable for how you operate your vehicle and within the manufacturer's specification after doing some "real" research. People (all of us) tend to believe in what we personally use and that is what you hear each person say they recommend.

Last edited:

wave

Ready to race!
I don't think there is an ultimate BEST oil. For your temperatures, however, it's a good idea to stick to lighter weight oil (0w-40). Just make sure the oil you pick up is approved by VW (I believe the code on the back of the bottle should be VW 502 or VW 504).

I myself run with the Castrol Edge Synthetic 0w-40 European Formula even though it doesn't get very cold down here in CA, but I do a lot of cold starts so the lighter weight suited my needs.

I also run the Castrol Edge Euro Formula, and it has been a good oil for my DD. However, I have in the past invested more in the more exotic oils, without anything to show for it. VW tells me my Castrol is more than sufficient, so that's what I will continue to use.

capitan828

Ready to race!
We need to remember that VW will use whatever oil they find suitable for our cars. "Suitable" meaning it is cost effective and will provide ENOUGH engine protection for what they consider the cars service life, which is probably around 150k-200k miles. Do you really think they want these engines to last 200k+ miles? If it was up to them it would be unlawful to keep a car past its warranty period and we would have to buy a new one every 8 years or less. Thats why im not gonna settle for watever will suffice. I plan on someday seeing my newborn son driving to school in my golf. If you dont plan on keeping your car very long then put the cheapest oil you can find that meets vw specs, if not then stay tuned for when I start taking oil samples.

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
The only way you're going tell if the more expensive oil is actually doing a much better job than the cheaper oil is by doing an oil analysis on your specific car under your driving conditions. Until then, M1 and Castrol are both great quality oils and I've never had issues running either. I had a Honda that lasted till 213k running Castrol or M1, depending what was on sale, and it purred like a kitten.

All oils still have to pass certain standards before they go out onto the shelf, whether or not they will meet those standards in X amount of miles is a different story. At that point, it comes down to maintenance based on your climate and how you drive.

euroadb

Go Kart Champion
So is there any real tangible benefit to using a "better" or more "exotic" oil vs. Castrol or Mobil 1? I used the Euro formulas of those two for years and thought I was doing great for my engines BC they were vw502 oils. Can I do better? Or is it really just placebo and intangible benefits?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
I researched this for a month since the GTI was my first new car. I compared all the full synthetics/exotics/etc and honestly, based on specs provided, M1 0-40 was the best all round oil and what I went with. 0 weight is almost a must for me but I didn't want breakdown with high temps and although it's not a true full syn, it is a great oil. If you're at the track, that's one thing.. I'd get a high shear oil and something designed for that. 99% of my driving is not at the track so that's why I decided on M1.

In reality you probably won't notice a difference with any of them. They are all great.. It's splitting hairs and tailoring it to your driving. Get something with low ash to help with the carbon buildup on the valves tho :)

euroadb

Go Kart Champion
M1 isn't full synthetic? How about castrol? Can I trust anything in life anymore??

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

slemay08

Just follow your manual and change it at the recommended interval. Do not waste your money because they SAY it is the best on the market.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk