GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

And here comes C7 Corvette....tests...

Thunderfunk

Ready to race!
I really don't care for the styling of the new Corvette at all but everything else is impressive.

artur1292

Go Kart Champion
Honestly, I don't know yet how I feel about all this electronically controlling your car type of deal. I am pretty young and don't know what driving a raw car with nothing assisting is like but still I almost feel like it takes away from the car. It is pretty cool and makes driving the car easier and everything I get that much but in a way it still makes me feel like it would be hard to REALLY enjoy the car to its full potential without something kicking in and ruining your lap or whatever. I guess if I got to test drive a car with all that stuff I might understand but that will probably never happen :(.

iGTI1

Go Kart Champion
I love everything about it... But Chevy design is bit over the top as far as Corvette and Camaros are concern IMO

Last edited:

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
So I've read a few more reviews.

I think the design is great sans the front lower fascia. Seems too...relaxed for the rest of the car. Needs more aggression.

I think Chevys done a great job capturing the corvette essence, but they're almost straying away from the raw nature that it used to be. Much like is mentioned in the articles, there's just too much going on and a lot of gimmicky technology that really takes away from the connection. I like the drive modes, but different screens per mode? A little much.

The rev match feature is neat and definitely not new, but it seems out of place on this car. Oh well. It'll help the older crowd cheat a little :)

For the price it's a nice vehicle. Very nice. Its packed with a lot of power. Certainly enough for the streets. And that exhaust is sexy.

Good stuff here. Might have to consider it :)

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
I think Chevys done a great job capturing the corvette essence, but they're almost straying away from the raw nature that it used to be. Much like is mentioned in the articles, there's just too much going on and a lot of gimmicky technology that really takes away from the connection. I like the drive modes, but different screens per mode? A little much.

I never considered Vette as raw. Unlike Viper, which was created with a premise of a modern day Cobra, with Cobra's character to match. Vette has always been sort of an advanced sportscar made in USA. It featured independent suspension since C2. Fuel injected engine when carbs are the norm. Fiberglass bodywork, disc brakes. C4 had electronically adjustable dampers, ABS, traction control...etc. IMO it was always supposed to be as good as what the competition offers.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Subjective in my eyes.

I never thought the Vette was "leading the way" in technology, until this C7 where its, to me, being perceived as a Technology Increase to human interface. Less raw, more refined.

I never had a single bit of curiosity for the Vette until now.

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
Yep... and it continues... The new gen vettes always puts current gen Porsches to shame in most aspects. But... you will always have badge (VAG) humpers.

The new Cayman S and Boxter S are fantastic cars, they give up some performance to the Vette but they're also 400 lbs lighter and much better looking. They'll probably hold more value too but that remains to be seen. There's no shame there IMO. I'd have a tough time deciding between the Porsche and the C7, very different cars.

I never considered Vette as raw. Unlike Viper, which was created with a premise of a modern day Cobra, with Cobra's character to match. Vette has always been sort of an advanced sportscar made in USA. It featured independent suspension since C2. Fuel injected engine when carbs are the norm. Fiberglass bodywork, disc brakes. C4 had electronically adjustable dampers, ABS, traction control...etc. IMO it was always supposed to be as good as what the competition offers.

:word: I've generally considered the Corvette to be the affordable supercar. Camaro and Mustang are the raw cars.

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
Some thought on the whole tire temp compensating thing. This means if you run something other than the stock tires, the system probably won't work as it should....I am guessing they have ways of measuring internal temp from the TPMS thing, but they probably have a model that correlates that to the actual carcass temp. Going to a different tire will change that correlation...

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Subjective in my eyes.

I never thought the Vette was "leading the way" in technology, until this C7 where its, to me, being perceived as a Technology Increase to human interface. Less raw, more refined.

I never had a single bit of curiosity for the Vette until now.

Electronic Throttle Control (ETC)
The 1997 LS1 is GM’s first passenger car engine with ETC. ETC allows engineers to tailor throttle progression to meet a vehicle’s character. For Corvette, engineers tuned the throttle to match the sporty character of the car providing responsive acceleration through all rpm ranges. ETC also integrates cruise control, brake torque management and traction control to a single controller. Gone is a bushel of hardware, improving Corvette’s underhood appearance and reducing mass.

Selective Ride Control
Introduced on the 1989 Corvette, Selective Ride Control represented a first for any American-built car. The system, available on the 1997 Corvette as Selective Real Time Damping (RPO F45), allows the driver to adjust shock absorber damping between Tour (smooth ride), Sport and Performance (ultimate handling) modes. The automatic damping system reads the road surface and performs instantaneous changes to suspension damping. Corvette is still the only Chevrolet to offer Selective Real Time Damping, although some European cars and race cars offer similar technology.

Traction Control
Designed to work with anti-lock brakes, Traction Control provides improved acceleration and enhanced vehicle stability in all weather conditions. Traction Control was introduced as standard equipment on the 1992 Corvette, and has since been offered as an option on Camaro Z28.

Four-Wheel Disc Brakes
Two major events marked Corvette history during model year 1965. First, sales of 23,562 set a new Corvette record. Second, Corvette featured four-wheel disc brakes for the first time in any domestic American car. Today, many performance cars requiring added stopping power feature either standard or optional four-wheel disc brakes. Corvette’s braking system for 1997 includes not only four-wheel discs, but incorporates four-wheel ABS and Traction Control as well.

Anti-Lock Brakes
Before they debuted on the 1986 Corvette, anti-lock brakes were previously unavailable on Chevrolet vehicles. Today, all Chevrolet Passenger Cars and Light-Duty Trucks offer anti-lock brakes as either standard or optional equipment.

PASS-Key Theft-Deterrent System
Corvette pioneered the use of PASS-Key, originally known as VATS (Vehicle Anti-Theft System) on Chevrolet passenger cars. The system, introduced in 1986, relied on a pellet embedded in the ignition key. If an improper key was used, the system cut off the starter and the fuel injectors, immobilizing the Corvette. The VATS system is credited with reducing Corvette thefts by 45 percent in the first year alone. Theft-deterrent systems are common among many Chevrolet passenger cars today, including a new system called PASSLock on some Chevrolets that offers similar protection without the need for a key-mounted resistor pellet.

Hydroformed Frame Rails
Corvette features a perimeter frame with side rails manufactured out of seamless tubular steel. These side rails are “hydroformed” – pressed into shape by a high-pressure hydraulic press developed by GM. Corvette’s rails represent the largest single hydroformed parts being used in an automotive application. Today’s rails are an improvement over traditional designs because they are seamless. (Former Corvette rails were constructed of 14 individual pieces per side which were welded together.) Corvette’s underbody structure technology employs MIG (Metal Inert Gas) laser welding, performed by skilled craftspeople, instead of robotic spot welding.

It's a long list. The corvette was always GM's technology showcase.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Some thought on the whole tire temp compensating thing. This means if you run something other than the stock tires, the system probably won't work as it should....I am guessing they have ways of measuring internal temp from the TPMS thing, but they probably have a model that correlates that to the actual carcass temp. Going to a different tire will change that correlation...

I think with the way things are going, most performance vehicles will end up being that way. Too many systems to account for, and like oyu said, even a wheel change is affecting the sensors.....

oh......the times.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer

colslaw87

Ready to race!
Like grambles423 said, I've never been interested in Corvettes until now.

The different UI displays are interesting. It seems like it would be helpful if you forgot what mode you were in. If you were running in Track mode prior to a long highway drive where you'd normally use Eco mode, the Track UI tachometer could remind you ... if the exhaust sound doesn't ;)

Exterior design will always be subjective. In general I think people that were Corvette fans prior to the C7 will not like the design. New fans of Corvette because of the C7 will respond well to the design.

Technology additions? I look at all these as refinements. While "raw" can be a good and bad thing, I have a feeling a smaller margin of customers will actually DRIVE the car where the electronic features would ruin their experience. Most of these additions are things that competitor cars have had for years; rev match, wet, track, eco, driving conditions and assists.

Soon enough we'll start seeing the true potential of the C7 when we get more hands on reviews and consumers start to modify. I can't wait for a Top Gear or Fifth Gear review!

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Top gear tends to hate on corvettes... always have.

And to be honest I don't expect this corvette to be all that faster than the last gen. It gained almost 200lbs over the last gen, and doesn't have extra power to back it up.

I do hope they brought the refinement levels up, if they made the car a nicer ride it would justify the additional weight over the last gen.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Top gear tends to hate on corvettes... always have.

And to be honest I don't expect this corvette to be all that faster than the last gen. It gained almost 200lbs over the last gen, and doesn't have extra power to back it up.

I do hope they brought the refinement levels up, if they made the car a nicer ride it would justify the additional weight over the last gen.

JC liked the performance, he just didn't like the cheapness and plastic bits, etc.

I expect it to be faster around a track.. esp with the better braking and more functional design. 200lbs? wow, did not know that tho, that's interesting.