GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR No Longer Providing Stage 2 Tunes After Labour Day. Other Tuners to Follow

gti330ex

Go Kart Newbie
The power gains from stage 1 to stage 2 are lame and not worth the cost, nor the hassle involved with the downpipe. That's from an APR stage 2 customer.
However, how do the slight gains from going to stage 2 equate with "the incredible wear and tear on the clutch" ?

This is what i'm thinking too .. been stage1 for 5 yrs and about 50k miles. Never thought i'd go stage 2 until this crap came out .. Decisions ... decisions. aghh.

skdmrklcy

Car(s)
2020 GTI
IMO the smartest choice is Cobb and have EQT for the tuner. Flash at home or anywhere for that matter. No going to a dealer and if you end up getting another car someday you can sell the Cobb AP.
Well my Accessport came today and battery charger will be here tomorrow. Downpipe from IE ordered as well as ordered the "OTS" EQT tune for Stage 1 to try... given the open platform and how reasonable the "OTS" options are for Sneeky / Stratified trying to avoid wanting to try them all... Waiting for an IE Intercooler to be in stock then I will do it and the downpipe at the same time.. till then Stage 1 will keep me busy.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Well my Accessport came today and battery charger will be here tomorrow. Downpipe from IE ordered as well as ordered the "OTS" EQT tune for Stage 1 to try... given the open platform and how reasonable the "OTS" options are for Sneeky / Stratified trying to avoid wanting to try them all... Waiting for an IE Intercooler to be in stock then I will do it and the downpipe at the same time.. till then Stage 1 will keep me busy.

Smart man.

jetplaness

Passed Driver's Ed
I don't know if this has been stated before but I just got stage 1 and my shop said as long as you purchase the stage 2 tune and flash it on the car (you can flash it back a few days or a week later to stage 1) then you're grandfathered in and can always add it on later when you find or get a downpipe or when you're ready for stage 2. Just thought i'd add.

cr_sti

Go Kart Newbie
Thought about a new thread, but since this one foreshadowed other tuners following APR's lead..

Cobb announces "Project Green Speed" to eliminate the sale of downpipes for model year 2014 and newer vehicles. Details here:

https://www.cobbtuning.com/project-green-speed-update/

Not sure it matters if third parties continue to provide Stage 2 tunes, and international companies supply downpipes, but interesting either way.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Thought about a new thread, but since this one foreshadowed other tuners following APR's lead..

Cobb announces "Project Green Speed" to eliminate the sale of downpipes for model year 2014 and newer vehicles. Details here:

https://www.cobbtuning.com/project-green-speed-update/

Not sure it matters if third parties continue to provide Stage 2 tunes, and international companies supply downpipes, but interesting either way.
Doesn't sound like they're "eliminating the sales of downpipes", instead they're replacing them with new ones in the future- "We have developed and are in the CARB EO approval process for a new NexGen upgrade path for impacted platforms. Please be on the lookout for that announcement in the very near future."

morricus

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI
Doesn't sound like they're "eliminating the sales of downpipes", instead they're replacing them with new ones in the future- "We have developed and are in the CARB EO approval process for a new NexGen upgrade path for impacted platforms. Please be on the lookout for that announcement in the very near future."
I disagree, they specifically are saying that they will no longer offer downpipes or their associated OTS flashes. I could be wrong, but thats how I interpret it.
Interestingly, this initiative from Cobb coincides with my own. As of today, I'm launching Project I Don't Care About Cobbs Project Green And Don't Plan To Buy Cobb Parts Anyway.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
I honestly don't think there will be any CARB compliant high flow cats. Magnaflow and Walker have some CARB approved cats...but the range is really narrow. They are all factory replacements.

I don't know how true this is...but I read that the cats that are away from the turbo...aren't that effective at all on a Mk7.

It looks like Cobb is developing "greener" power mods.

cr_sti

Go Kart Newbie

Friendly wager - If their NexGen rollout includes downpipes, I'll send you a 6'r of Iowa local craft beer (it's better than you'd expect, and shockingly not corn based). If it doesn't, you'll owe me the same. 😁 Thoughts?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Friendly wager - If their NexGen rollout includes downpipes, I'll send you a 6'r of Iowa local craft beer (it's better than you'd expect, and shockingly not corn based). If it doesn't, you'll owe me the same. 😁 Thoughts?
Pretty sure DP development is done with the advent of electric cars on the way. No point in investing money in products that won't exist.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
I don't think you can ship alcohol unless you're a licensed reseller, and the liquor store I go to doesn't deliver to Iowa... So I have no idea how I would go about doing that lol

cr_sti

Go Kart Newbie
I don't think you can ship alcohol unless you're a licensed reseller, and the liquor store I go to doesn't deliver to Iowa... So I have no idea how I would go about doing that lol
BadHombre indeed. . . Jokes aside, I think they'll struggle to get CARB on board with any aftermarket cats. "NexGen" seems to be tailored towards CARB, so my admittedly uninformed guess is Cobb will be stage 1 OTS only going forward (stage 2 if they continue to split out intercoolers).

We'll see...

If you decide UPS/Fedex is a gamble you're willing to take - offer stands.