GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR Stage 1 vs Unitronic Stage 1+

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Ready to race!
Since it is timing based, fuel octane has a much higher impact on the tune. It probably took quite a few more man hours to perfect it over the 91 tune.

Also, the 93 tune includes the 91 tune, so if you don't need it, you can save a $100 bucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bluekid99

Drag Race Newbie
really want to get unitronic stage 1+ for now until i can swing a downpipe and exhaust and other goodies...gonna try to do this soon if the crazy weather would hold off

baczuse

Passed Driver's Ed
So just wondering from a tune perspective sound like Unitronic is easier to set up and gives a pretty good power range compared to APR?

bluekid99

Drag Race Newbie
So just wondering from a tune perspective sound like Unitronic is easier to set up and gives a pretty good power range compared to APR?

unitronic allows you to swap tunes from home with uniconnect which is nice for alot of people and from what i heard yes it is more conservative but also great for a daily driver

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Ready to race!
APR puts down 25ft-lbs more which is nothing to sneeze at. However, it does this by using considerably more boost. This honestly wasn't a factor in my decision, as I was referred by a friend more experienced in turbo voodoo who prefers timing based tunes.

The Uniconnect was the second deciding factor.

My experience with John from Unitronic and (Sean?) from ModdedEuros during shipment and install are why I would recommend this path.

Now I'll get off the soapbox before you all think I work for them!

Dave10781

Go Kart Champion
APR puts down 25ft-lbs more which is nothing to sneeze at. However, it does this by using considerably more boost. This honestly wasn't a factor in my decision, as I was referred by a friend more experienced in turbo voodoo who prefers timing based tunes.

My experience with John from Unitronic and (Sean?) from ModdedEuros during shipment and install are why I would recommend this path.

That's 25ft lbs I won't miss. Looking at the Uni numbers, I'd like more up top and less of an explosive midrange for the street. Fwd and all.

ModdedEuros

Go Kart Champion

Thanks for the feedback :D

Ital

Go Kart Newbie
I have Apr stage 1 and although the power is awesome the initial delivery leaves a lot to be desired IMO. I am new to tuning on the gti but not new to tuning. I had a BMW 335i tuned with giac and power delivery was very linear. I have to say the Apr stage 1 feels perfect as long as you drive from 3k rpm on. Anything below that feels very odd and not smooth.. Power kicks in all at once around 2600 rpm... Maybe a dp would fix that but not sure...

gn4rwhals

Go Kart Champion
That's how APR's tunes are, lots of punch around mid RPM but kinda "meh" out of that band.

bluekid99

Drag Race Newbie
i just did unitronic stage 1+ yesterday and i love it...driving normal feels oem like theres no tune but get on it and it carries all the way til redline...its a great tune imo....havent raced anything yet with it but its fun to mess with...happy i went with them

Greg241

Everything Euro just called me and said the Unitronic stage 1 for 2016 GTI's should be released any day now - at least by next week. I've been waiting since Nov 27th for it.
Already have air intake and VWR springs with flush tire kit. Just waiting!!