GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR Stage 1 vs Unitronic Stage 1+

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Ready to race!
How about uni vs eurodyne lol

Hard to compare, but I was between Eurodyne and Unitronic. This was for the flash at home features.

Eurodyne seemed more aggressive, especially with boost. Test a bit, release, revise based on user feedback.

Unitronic appears less aggressive, and they don't release until they feel it's done.

If it was my track/second car, I'd be more comfortable with Eurodyne. But this is my only car and means to work, so I wanted something that was developed with safety in mind.

I prefer the slow, exacting development pipeline of a Unitronic.

Vlad146

Ready to race!
Hard to compare, but I was between Eurodyne and Unitronic. This was for the flash at home features.

Eurodyne seemed more aggressive, especially with boost. Test a bit, release, revise based on user feedback.

Unitronic appears less aggressive, and they don't release until they feel it's done.

If it was my track/second car, I'd be more comfortable with Eurodyne. But this is my only car and means to work, so I wanted something that was developed with safety in mind.

I prefer the slow, exacting development pipeline of a Unitronic.

Is your car DSG or Manual? Im curious to see if you got a better clutch or not.

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Ready to race!
DSG, wanted the manual but sit in too much traffic daily.

DSG is great, don't get me wrong.

Unitronic torque figures are less aggressive than the other tunes I've seen, so you would probably have fewer clutch issues with a manual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
Assume with any tune, or piggyback, with an manual transmission car, that you will most likely have to replace the clutch. It is a massive increase in torque, and the stock clutches can not handle it.

The owner base with tunes that do not have clutch issues are the minority. If you tune, prepare to fork out for a new clutch, and possibly a new DMF if you try to think you are a magical unicorn.

This warning is independent of APR, JB1, Unitronic, or Eurodyne, Giac, and whatever that other piggyback is.

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Ready to race!
Like you said, it's caused by the torque. Tunes with less torque have fewer issues, hence why APR came out with the low torque tune.

It's far from a guarantee, though one should absolutely be prepared for it, just in case. As George as said, 90% or users are not on any forums, and as far as I know, no one has polled them. I doubt the the forums are an accurate sample of the larger population.

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
Agree, but they are the most vocal of that population :) We've just seen slippage as low as 325 to the crank, which is even below the APR low output tunes. Less power = less chance, but all should be forewarned. Better to know it is a possibility and prep for it!

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Ready to race!
Oh by far [emoji23]

The last tech who rode in my car with me when I was complaining about vibrations probably thinks I'm completely insane. And he had neck tats!

We all definitely need to have a "shit I broke my car!" fund.

Agray

Go Kart Champion
Those of you who have been running Unitronic stage 1 or 1+ for a while now... Any issues? I have 5k miles and I want to do it, im just concerned about reliability/ blowing turbo or worse.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Those of you who have been running Unitronic stage 1 or 1+ for a while now... Any issues? I have 5k miles and I want to do it, im just concerned about reliability/ blowing turbo or worse.

3k at S1 and 15K at S2. No sign of trouble, just keep fresh plugs (every 15k) and fresh oil (every 5-7k) in it and you should be fine...unless you're that one unlucky guy, but that happens stock too.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT

Unitronic is probably the least likely, besides Cobb’s OTS Stage 1, to be the cause of any engine damage due to increased stress from the operating parameters of the tune. Just type in a google search “site:golfmk7.com unitronic review” and read the many anecdotal reviews there are. Almost all of them will say they chose Uni for its conservative boost, and almost all are happy about its daily driveability etc. the only ones who arent are those who didnt do their homework and want more power lol

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Unitronic is probably the least likely, besides Cobb’s OTS Stage 1, to be the cause of any engine damage due to increased stress from the operating parameters of the tune. Just type in a google search “site:golfmk7.com unitronic review” and read the many anecdotal reviews there are. Almost all of them will say they chose Uni for its conservative boost, and almost all are happy about its daily driveability etc. the only ones who arent are those who didnt do their homework and want more power lol

This ^

Hoon

Autocross Champion
My APR stage 1 car has beat several Unitronic stage 2 cars...no comparison stage 1 to stage 1

You must find the slowest Uni S2 cars around :)

I do agree S1 vs S1, APR cars will throw Uni cars a beating. Uni keeps the boost lower, especially on tunes designed for stock cats. They're more concerned with keeping the cat safe than APR is.

APR would be my second choice, but i like the option to flash at home at any time, and i like the peak boost kept lower for turbo life. I also like the lower boost because without the big mid-range TQ hit, the car doesn't feel flat up top. I hate the nose dive you get with stock turbos at high boost levels.

The car drives smoother than stock, has been reliable so far, and makes over 100whp more than stock. Until the IS20 pukes its guts, this will do just fine.