GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Are VW Steel Rims Better Than Others

Fyodor Dostoevsky

Ready to race!
I'm shopping around for a set of steel rims to put winter tires on.

Is there any reason to buy VAG branded steel rims? For example are they lighter or less likely to rust?

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
make sure they are light in weight. I seen a post where someone mounted heavy rims and it pouched the wheel bearings due to the weight.

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
I'm shopping around for a set of steel rims to put winter tires on.

Is there any reason to buy VAG branded steel rims? For example are they lighter or less likely to rust?
if you maintain the rims, they will not rust. I would trust VAG branded rims, still shop around. You are more likely to find a better price.

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
many ways, here are some, check this video out

Fyodor Dostoevsky

Ready to race!
many ways, here are some, check this video out

Thanks. Basically maintain the paint like you should on the car body, and wax them.

I suppose when shopping around a key thing to look for is a good paint job, primed, hard paint like powder coated epoxy, and good film thicknesses.

I'll bet the paint specifications are known by the rim manufacturer, but unlikely to be stated on the product in the store. Maybe I'll try to find out the paint specs for VW steel rims just to see if it is available.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
I think you're overthinking this.
Steel wheels are the cheapest wheels you can buy. (you get what you pay for)
If exposed to salt/winter stuff....they're gonna rust eventually unless you keep them super clean everyday & they never got damaged. It won't happen immediately, but will happen eventually. (look at your rear lower control arms for example, if exposed to winters)

If you want nicer wheels, and don't want to deal with that, just get some alloys. They'll hold up better for a little more money.

Fyodor Dostoevsky

Ready to race!
I think you're overthinking this.
Steel wheels are the cheapest wheels you can buy. (you get what you pay for)
If exposed to salt/winter stuff....they're gonna rust eventually unless you keep them super clean everyday & they never got damaged. It won't happen immediately, but will happen eventually. (look at your rear lower control arms for example, if exposed to winters)

If you want nicer wheels, and don't want to deal with that, just get some alloys. They'll hold up better for a little more money.

Ya, it probably isn't worth the effort to try and get the paint specs. I'm thinking I'll just get the VW steel rims since they should be good quality, and leave it at that. Good point about alloy rims though, no rust concerns.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Ya, it probably isn't worth the effort to try and get the paint specs. I'm thinking I'll just get the VW steel rims since they should be good quality, and leave it at that. Good point about alloy rims though, no rust concerns.
How much are the VW steel wheels btw?