GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ATP DV kit

Mike@Forge

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
07 BMP GTI Pkg 0
We'll be testing the prototype of our "kit" tomorrow. (with a fully VTA mechanical valve AND with a mechanical recirc. valve)

I'll let you know how it goes. :cool:

BDP

Passed Driver's Ed
We'll be testing the prototype of our "kit" tomorrow. (with a fully VTA mechanical valve AND with a mechanical recirc. valve)

I'll let you know how it goes. :cool:

If you need testers let me know:biggrin: My B valve just took a dump on me:mad:
Also any idea on pricing?

AutoXinMK5

Touring Car Champion
well im down for waiting its definatly better to see some competiton not to mention with atp you have to buy alot of things to make this work, and i dont want to put a dv on there a bov would be better like a HKS SSQv

I like that valve, it's awesome sounding.

Really partial to the Forge 007 valve too. I put a few in a few friends 1.8T's. I like the sound and I like the quality.

Would there be any package deals through Forge? The mechanical BOV kit + Forge valve for a discount?

Nikerey

Darkness
Hey Mike, if you need a guinniea pig (a local one), you know any of us from CFLMKV would be more than happy to help out.

06gtimkv

Autocross Newbie
def let us know how it goes. my dv took a hike too. im gonna need something asap!

Mike@Forge

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
07 BMP GTI Pkg 0
I'm not even going to begin to guesstimate on pricing nor availability at this point.

I'll start another thread later tonight with some more preliminary info.

Oscar

Touring Car Newbie
perfect will we be also able to mount a atmopheric BOV instead of a DV ?? im guessing yes but just making sure.

Stasis

E-Thug
Car(s)
MKV GTI
Someone explain to me how exactly this works...

I understand the general concept of blow off valves and diverter valves. From what I understand, people were unsure of whether the forge spacer would be ok to use as it vents 100% to atmosphere instead of recirculating. A standard mechanical blow off valve, such as the HKS SSQ also vents 100% correct? What confuses me here, is that on ATP's site, they mention that best results are obtained when using the kit with an intake that has a recirc inlet. What exactly is recirculating, if the point of the bov (or spacer) is to vent?

I guess I don't fully understand the path that air takes in a turbo engine. I guess I also don't fully grasp the difference between VW turbo engines and others, such as Subaru and Mitsubishi. It seems we're the only people who need to go through all of this to get a normal mechanical bov.

I've seen 1.8T's with bov's like the HKS, and even write-ups online of how they accomplished it. Is the 2.0T similar to this?

Also, from what I gather... if we are now venting 100% vs. what VW originally intended, we are making the turbo work harder as it now has to take in more air from the outside to compensate for what's being vented. Either this, or we're suffering a performance loss.

Anyway, I'd like to fully grasp all this, so if anyone is willing... shoot!

Thanks!

You know what... while I'm at it with the questions: Is the EvoMs intake a way better purchase than the ATP one? I ask only because I'm debating whether I wanna go for the whole ATP kit with an HKS (depending on answers here) or getting the EvoMs with a Forge spacer for now...

Time to start modding, plus it's my bday in 2 weeks so... little gifts to myself. Need to know! =)

Oscar

Touring Car Newbie
i dont think there actually is a difference correct me if im wrong here but if you recirc it the turbo is just gonn have to pull the air in anyways so your not making it work harder, another thing is the fact that your just puttting hot air back into your intake this is a no no because we all know colder air is better so by venting the air into the atmosphere were making the air goin into the engine cooler so in fact there should be a proformance gain but then again the gain is prolly extremely Small.

One reason i could see the vw engineers making it so that the car recircs is to cut down on the noise or the whoosh that the bov makes, thats just because not everyone likes this noise.

and if you listen to a stock 2.0T when its up in the 4-5000 rpm if you roll the windows down you can actually hear the car atmospherically venting the air.

Cheers and correct me if im wrong.
Oscar

Stasis

E-Thug
Car(s)
MKV GTI
I actually can hear a bit of "whoosh" sound on quiet nights on small streets when I get the revs up and let go of the gas.

AutoXinMK5

Touring Car Champion
Recircs help with spool up and throttle respons.

Recirc the vented air and it adds better throttle reespons as well as keeping the motor from running extra rich.

100% atm blow off vents every bit of air that the motor (MAF) thinks it's going to get. It vents out 20psi, the motor dumps 20psi of fuel in the car, but there's onlt regular pressure air getting in, so it runs rich. On this car it's not as dramatic because we also have a MAP sensor that does a good job of montering the motor and the MAF.

AutoXinMK5

Touring Car Champion
The other reason is that, technically for emissions because the PCV blows a bit of oil into the intake system, 100% atm. venting is illegal.

Nobody really enforces it though.

Mike@Forge

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
07 BMP GTI Pkg 0
I would just like to politely correct you on one point:

Whether the air is vented or recirculated makes NO difference to the amount of “lag” created nor does it change spool.

"Lag" or an increase in spool time would only be created if there was no bypass valve in place at all, and the residual charge pressure inside the intercooler piping "backed up" into the compressor wheel at throttle lift slowing it down. Whether an atmospheric or a recirculating valve is used, the valve is still able to bypass the residual charge pressure at throttle lift allowing the compressor wheel to maintain it's rate of speed, thus reducing “lag” and allowing for quick spool.

AutoXinMK5

Touring Car Champion
I would just like to politely correct you on one point:

Whether the air is vented or recirculated makes NO difference to the amount of “lag” created nor does it change spool.

"Lag" or an increase in spool time would only be created if there was no bypass valve in place at all, and the residual charge pressure inside the intercooler piping "backed up" into the compressor wheel at throttle lift slowing it down. Whether an atmospheric or a recirculating valve is used, the valve is still able to bypass the residual charge pressure at throttle lift allowing the compressor wheel to maintain it's rate of speed, thus reducing “lag” and allowing for quick spool.

'eh, it's not like it's going to be a difference between big turbo and factory as far as lag goes, and maybe it's in everyones head but, I've known a few people that have purposly kept recirc systems on their car because of that "feel"

But personally, as long as the car doesn't bog/buck/stall like my old GSX did (before the MAFT) there wouldn't be a signifigant enough change for it to bother me, I know I like atm. vent.