GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

AWE mk5 GTI turbo back exhaust installed!

GTT

Touring Car Champion
The stock tubes look surprisingly large for stock.
I wonder if freer flowing cat and a simpler muffler would do wonders for the GTI?
I'm guessing it would.

T

A41.8QTM

That's what she said
Car(s)
2008 GTI
I remember reading somewhere that the stock exhaust (2.5 or 2.75) was plenty sufficient and going larger isn't actaully any help. So the pipe size isn't the flow limiter. That leaves the down pipe/cat and muff to improve.

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
I wonder if he throws a CEL?

GTT

Touring Car Champion
A41.8QTM said:
I remember reading somewhere that the stock exhaust (2.5 or 2.75) was plenty sufficient and going larger isn't actaully any help. So the pipe size isn't the flow limiter. That leaves the down pipe/cat and muff to improve.

That's what I'm thinking.
DP's are ALWAYS a good improvement for turbo's, though they involve more work.
Seem the GTI could get a nice benefit from a simple freer cat and nice sounding muff and leave the rest as is. That could be the bargain setup with a decent chip tune.

T

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
The cabin clip while cruzin' would be great too!

Wild Hare

Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
Friend has this on his car and really likes it.

From their site:
Quite but sporty sound. 10hp and more with chiped engines. Two Borla Mufflers and Dual Exit tip. T-304 Stainless. 2.5"

frank2287

Touring Car Newbie
do you have a cat,res,and muffler ?

I was planning on having it straight but i wanted to see what you had so i can actually determine how much louder it will probably be.

in regards to components...

it seems like the AWE system is just minus 1 muffler (correct?)

could you just run turbo down pipe, cat, then one muffler?

Kurupt

low
Car(s)
Jeep
GTi Fanatic said:
in regards to components...

it seems like the AWE system is just minus 1 muffler (correct?)

could you just run turbo down pipe, cat, then one muffler?

yea its just minus 1 muffler but all new parts as you can see. you could even run turbo downpipe then straight pipes straight to the tips if you really wanted to. it all depends on what you like

Shifty

Pull it shave it paint it
Car(s)
2002 TDI New Beetle
That sounds tremendous! Much better than the raspy GHL. But I must say, the stock system doesn't look bad at all. It'd seem to me that removing the stock muffler and adding a DP as someone mentioned above might be the easiest and cheapest alternative, while still getting some nice gains.

trick000

FIA World Rally Car Champion
I know that this may be a silly question on a performance thread like this but will the new catalyctic converter affect emissions testing? Thanks.

4GSixty3

Drag Racing Champion
wow!! sounded just exactly what i want on my GTI. Will wait for interior sound clips.

Wild Hare

Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
Most High-Flow cats will pass emissions.

I would not do a straight pipe and no muffler (sound,resonance, loss of bottom-end power).

Some can do 1 muffler and work very well and others might be too loud. Depends on the pipe Diameter, Muffler construction and so on.
It's best to HEAR before buying and if possible to get a ride or drive someone elses car that's already done.

I have a '98.5 Audi 1.8t. My twin Borla 2.5" diam Techtonics System was great before the high-flow cat and downpipe... but afterward it got a lot louder!