GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bad things about owning a house.

rx4brdm

Ready to race!
The water heater has been leaking a bit... It got worse, my garage floor is covered in crappy CA water. The moronic people that put in the water heater put regular drywall on the structure underneath it. In my nice warm garage mold/mildew whatever it is growing like mad on the soaked drywall.

I would assume the structure underneath is probably 2x4's and really hope plywood or something like that supporting the base. Hmm, drywall would have been destroyed by now if it was supporting the weight.

Sometimes being in an apartment just seems so much easier. $669 plus install to replace it due to CA's lovely environmental/earthquake codes. :mad0259:

/rantover

KYGTIGuy

Go Kart Champion
How olds the house? CA has pretty strict codes. How could the original install be up to code?

rx4brdm

Ready to race!
17 yrs when I bought it and have been here for 2 more. I had a pretty good idea things would start happening within the first couple years. Original, HVAC system, water heater, etc.

It just sucks I can't just talk to landlord/property management and then it's their problem.:lol:

Tried to haggle new HVAC and water heater with the purchase but the owners were getting reamed anyways. They probably bought this place for twice what we paid for it.

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
I have a 10 year policy on water heaters. Regardless of their condition, I always change them. I'd move to a tankless but don't have the amperage in my condo to support one :(

While I understand the frustrations from time to time, being a homeowner is well worth it in the end.

KYGTIGuy

Go Kart Champion
That sucks. Mold is hard as balls to get rid of and it wont pass inspection if you want to sell. At least in KY. Im sure CA is more strict.

rx4brdm

Ready to race!
I have a 10 year policy on water heaters. Regardless of their condition, I always change them. I'd move to a tankless but don't have the amperage in my condo to support one :(

While I understand the frustrations from time to time, being a homeowner is well worth it in the end.

There is a 12 year warranty on the new one and Sears is pretty good with their warranties (at least in my personal experience). I had originally thought of tankless but can't use them in Sacramento County?!?

rx4brdm

Ready to race!
Our fridge is dead and GE are being pricks about it (an $1800 Profile and they are being pricks about warranty service). I can tell you ALL my appliances in our next place will be made in the USA.

That said, I love owning.

Sorry to hear that. 1.8k for a fridge and I would be f'ing irate. Hell, only paid like $800 for the new one in the house and I'd still be pissed.

Make sure you do research on those appliances. I had thought Kenmore appliances were still made in the U.S., some are, some aren't.

Yeah I still love most of the benefits of owning. All the HVAC will probably get replaced this year, so that'll take care of most issues for quite a while.

Bender1

Banned
Yeah this one was made in mexico which is where all high end GE appliances were made until about 8 months ago when US production started back up (just on dishwashers for now). I have no issue with made in mexico, I have an issue with GE jerking me around on the warranty.