GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

BFI Stage 1 vs. Autotech Insert Results

This baffles the shit out of me.

How is it a piece of solid metal has LESS NVH than a 70a Durometer Poly insert?

Well, I may not be able to answer the question but I sure as shit know that it's a fact. The vibes in reverse are still there and noticeable but LESS than the BFI and definitely more livable. Idle, nearly nothing. AC on, nearly nothing. Driving, shifting is smooth and precise, (although I just had the DSG RVU done and that definitely improved up and down manual shifting) and wheel hop is LESS with this insert than the BFI Stage 1.

I was done with inserts, even after giving the BFI 1000 miles to break in. I had the ECS mount on my MKV and thought it would be the same this time around, and even went with the softest durometer I could find to keep NVH to a minimum. I don't know what changed but the MKV handled inserts better than the MKVI does. There simply wasn't this problem with NVH using any of the main stream inserts and certainly not much of a debate on which durometer to use. Don't get me wrong, you felt it, but it was more like what the Autotech is now to the MKVI. Hell I was even adding polyflex inserts to the dog bone to make it STIFFER. Wouldn't even think of it here though. It may just be that I'm getting more picky about how my cars feel and after being disappointed with the BFI I thought that was it for me, that I was just going to tear through stock mounts all the way to the K04. Autotech has made me a believer once again. I cannot get over how such a subtle difference between the two changed my mind. I was ready to rip it out as soon as I put it in, but I think it's going to stick around for a while. :D I am absolutely thrilled with the results!

Now, someone else may come along and say they feel no difference and that is fine, but I cannot agree with anyone who says the Autotech is worse in any regard. Removing the BFI was a sure fire pain and yes it came out in pieces but it didn't take as long as I thought it would. Lubing the Autotech up with dish detergent did the trick, went right in no problem. Nothing popped out the top and the bolt threaded without issue. Performed the removal/install on ramps, if that makes any difference.

Bottom line, if you're worried about NVH, Autotech>BFI Stage 1.

Isj

Go Kart Champion
nice review, been thinking about which insert to get and was looking at the BFI stage 1 to keep NVH at a minimum, but looks like I'll get the autotech one instead.

Yeah? Everyone and their brother posted pics of these inserts and installs so I figured I wouldnt take any.

The autotech is blue btw.

gregsju29

Go Kart Champion
interesting, I have No Regrets about the BFI mount. I haven't compared it to anything else, but I wouldn't ever consider going through the hassle of trying anything different. To each their own, but the bottom line is that the mounts are worth the cash, and I think one of the best bang for the buck mods out there

interesting, I have No Regrets about the BFI mount. I haven't compared it to anything else, but I wouldn't ever consider going through the hassle of trying anything different. To each their own, but the bottom line is that the mounts are worth the cash, and I think one of the best bang for the buck mods out there

Agreed.

I don't regret the BFI mount though. Had I not had one I wouldnt have been able to write the comparison review or gain the knowledge of both :D

daschrier1

Passed Driver's Ed
Is anyone else confused by this post?

You start with saying that you're suprised a solid mount has less NVH, then go on to say that for the least NVH go with the insert?

Is anyone else confused by this post?

You start with saying that you're suprised a solid mount has less NVH, then go on to say that for the least NVH go with the insert?

Your question confuses me. I thought I said the autotech insert has the least between the two.

fatty@golfmk6.com

Go Kart Champion
Ah, my apologies.

Here are the inserts for comparison.

BFI Stage 1

http://store.blackforestindustries.com/bfitoarmin091.html

Autotech

http://www.autotech.com/product/engine-mounts/10-199-500K.html?fromcat=golf-gti-rabbit-mkvi-gti-2t

My autotech is blue and I ordered from futurell.

the autotech really is a metal piece :laugh:
bfi

autotech

stevenchkim

Go Kart Champion

Attachments

• IMG_0358.jpg
    IMG_0358.jpg
    400.4 KB · Views: 181