GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Brake cooling ducts: Any interest?

Would you be interested in APR Brake Cooling Ducts?

• Yes

Votes: 64 85.3%
  • No

Votes: 11 14.7%

• Total voters

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
I think a full kit with the backing plates, hoses and front fog light bezel to mount the hose to would be awesome, but it would be too specific (e.g. GTI vs. R, MK7 vs 7.5 etc).

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I think a full kit with the backing plates, hoses and front fog light bezel to mount the hose to would be awesome, but it would be too specific (e.g. GTI vs. R, MK7 vs 7.5 etc).

There is already an inverted duct in the underside of the front bumper to wheel arch section which directs air to/over the lower arm. This air flow is then directed at the brakes using the before mentioned Audi "guides". You could join into this existing "duct/scoop" but again as the calipers are leading edge & not trailing edge it makes matters more difficult to engineer an effective solution without increasing the cost -vs- the gains over the existing Audi RS3 (MQB) parts.

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
There is already an inverted duct in the underside of the front bumper to wheel arch section which directs air to/over the lower arm. This air flow is then directed at the brakes using the before mentioned Audi "guides". You could join into this existing "duct/scoop" but again as the calipers are leading edge & not trailing edge it makes matters more difficult to engineer an effective solution without increasing the cost -vs- the gains over the existing Audi RS3 (MQB) parts.

I'm talking about something like this:

I had that on my Miata and it made a huge difference. I also think having two giant air duct holes in the bumper looks awesome but that's just me.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Depends, if they're a track only duct with hoses and real backing plates I'd have some interest but if they're those fins that attach to the control arms then I'd pass.

This.

No point if you're just going to replicate RS3 ducts.

Last edited:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I'm talking about something like this:

I had that on my Miata and it made a huge difference. I also think having two giant air duct holes in the bumper looks awesome but that's just me.

I know full well what is possible throwing enough money at it.

There are GTI & R bumpers & Mk7 & Mk7.5 versions, then the CS/CCS version...so that's five total different front bumpers to make front scoops for, whilst totally ignoring any lower spec Golfs which might be outcrossed/tracked as highly tuned 1.8lts.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5

There are GTI & R bumpers & Mk7 & Mk7.5 versions, then the CS/CCS version...so that's five total different front bumpers to make front scoops for, whilst totally ignoring any lower spec Golfs which might be outcrossed/tracked as highly tuned 1.8lts.
Dave is gonna buy all the bumpers. Chop them up. And accidentally create KARR, KITT’s brother

he’s also gonna add that red stripe that goes from left to right

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Dave is gonna buy all the bumpers. Chop them up. And accidentally create KARR, KITT’s brother

he’s also gonna add that red stripe that goes from left to right

Shhhhhhh!!.....Its a KITT wagon with a mini-me drone which unloads from the rear on ramps at speed.... :cool:

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
What about Engine mounts???

APR doesn’t offer upgraded upper engine/transmission mounts, only the steel insert and pendulum arm. I have both on my APR Plus tuned Alltrack and my drivetrain movement is still unacceptable.

i am stuck between a rock and a hard place here, since being APR Plus means I cannot use non-APR parts for anything besides brakes and suspension. But APR doesn’t offer upper engine/transmission mounts, so I have two options:

1) leave it as-is, which is less than preferable since I am not sufficiently pleased with the driveline stiffness from the insert and pendulum arm alone.
2) upgrade to unapproved mounts that will void my APR Plus warranty.

engine/transmission mounts are a big ticket item, commonly upgraded on these cars. I’m surprised APR hasn’t prioritized them for development. You have the resources to produce OEM-quality uprated rubber mounts that maintain OEM comfort while improving performance. Please do it - I will buy them lol

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
What about Engine mounts???

APR doesn’t offer upgraded upper engine/transmission mounts, only the steel insert and pendulum arm. I have both on my APR Plus tuned Alltrack and my drivetrain movement is still unacceptable.

i am stuck between a rock and a hard place here, since being APR Plus means I cannot use non-APR parts for anything besides brakes and suspension. But APR doesn’t offer upper engine/transmission mounts, so I have two options:

1) leave it as-is, which is less than preferable since I am not sufficiently pleased with the driveline stiffness from the insert and pendulum arm alone.
2) upgrade to unapproved mounts that will void my APR Plus warranty.

engine/transmission mounts are a big ticket item, commonly upgraded on these cars. I’m surprised APR hasn’t prioritized them for development. You have the resources to produce OEM-quality uprated rubber mounts that maintain OEM comfort while improving performance. Please do it - I will buy them lol
Will upgrading the mounts absolutely void the apr plus warranty?

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT

Yes... I already acknowledged the different bumpers in my first post as well.