GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Brake cooling ducts: Any interest?

Would you be interested in APR Brake Cooling Ducts?

• Yes

Votes: 64 85.3%
  • No

Votes: 11 14.7%

• Total voters

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
What about Engine mounts???

APR doesn’t offer upgraded upper engine/transmission mounts, only the steel insert and pendulum arm. I have both on my APR Plus tuned Alltrack and my drivetrain movement is still unacceptable.

i am stuck between a rock and a hard place here, since being APR Plus means I cannot use non-APR parts for anything besides brakes and suspension. But APR doesn’t offer upper engine/transmission mounts, so I have two options:

1) leave it as-is, which is less than preferable since I am not sufficiently pleased with the driveline stiffness from the insert and pendulum arm alone.
2) upgrade to unapproved mounts that will void my APR Plus warranty.

engine/transmission mounts are a big ticket item, commonly upgraded on these cars. I’m surprised APR hasn’t prioritized them for development. You have the resources to produce OEM-quality uprated rubber mounts that maintain OEM comfort while improving performance. Please do it - I will buy them lol

I have CTS rubber engine and transmission mounts, and the PowerFlex Hybrid dog bone mount which I installed during winter. It's fine when the AC is OFF, but there is definitely additional vibration with the AC on. I would strongly considered removing some or all the mounts if I weren't able to change my tune to raise the idle to 900 rpm when the AC is on. It still vibrates at 900! It's just not at the embarrassing level it was at when the idle was 800. I'd advise guys not looking to build a race car to think twice about upgraded mounts.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
I have CTS rubber engine and transmission mounts, and the PowerFlex Hybrid dog bone mount which I installed during winter. It's fine when the AC is OFF, but there is definitely additional vibration with the AC on. I would strongly considered removing some or all the mounts if I weren't able to change my tune to raise the idle to 900 rpm when the AC is on. It still vibrates at 900! It's just not at the embarrassing level it was at when the idle was 800. I'd advise guys not looking to build a race car to think twice about upgraded mounts.

Ive upgraded my mounts on both my previous MK7 GTIs, I know exactly what I want and know that it’s achievable. Your vibrations were from the powerflex hybrid not the uppers, and I’m talking about the uppers. You’re 6MT right? I’m a bit surprised it was that bad on a 6MT car, people usually report way less vibes in a manual than DSG.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Ive upgraded my mounts on both my previous MK7 GTIs, I know exactly what I want and know that it’s achievable. Your vibrations were from the powerflex hybrid not the uppers, and I’m talking about the uppers. You’re 6MT right? I’m a bit surprised it was that bad on a 6MT car, people usually report way less vibes in a manual than DSG.

Yea manual. I changed all three at the same time so I can't comment which ones did it. I had the 034 uppper and lower before and didn't have these vibrations. I do believe it could be the case since the powerflex fills the void and it will likely never "break in".

nono0044

Drag Racing Champion
And another thread is de-railed. Nicely done.
I mean honestly, unless they actually did plan to do the whole proper race car ducting with the hosing, this is DOA. What could they do that the RS3 ones can't at the price point those are at.

They can't really make it that much bigger without clearance issues. And what, are they going to do the aftermarket part special and make it out of C A R B O N F I B R E?

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
I mean honestly, unless they actually did plan to do the whole proper race car ducting with the hosing, this is DOA. What could they do that the RS3 ones can't at the price point those are at.

They can't really make it that much bigger without clearance issues. And what, are they going to do the aftermarket part special and make it out of C A R B O N F I B R E?

I could possibly pay for one (not more than the RS3 version) that fit better. My RS3 ducts were both destroyed when the wheels were turned when the car was on a lift. I feel it was no fault of the mechanics.

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
I thought Vitour Tempesta Enzos were the best tire ever?
Considering how much it costs, I’d say it is one of the best. A lot of us run it if we don’t want to spend a lot. Last year it was about $650CAD for 225/45R17.

The Dude

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI S
I track my GTI with Ferodo DS2500 front pads and while I'm not the fastest driver, I get placed in the intermediate class when we go to DDT. I think stock calipers with DS2500 and RS3 brake ducts are a very good combo for someone of my skill. If you were more advanced than me, then maybe you want BBK with at least 4 or 6 piston front calipers. I ran consistent 1:50 and have no doubts I can run 1:49 if my girlfriend wasn't sitting as a passenger. Sshould be breaking into high 1:40s this season even with her with me now that I have stage 1 and plan to get myself a set of Falken RT660.

<-- Not my video but this is the track.
"Hey Babe, you need to lose some weight, you're costing me like, a whole second."

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
I always have a good chuckle when I see someone doing ridiculous weight reduction on their car. Titanium this, carbon fiber that, no interior... but they weigh over 400lbs and don't fit in their super cool light weight racing seat.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
I always have a good chuckle when I see someone doing ridiculous weight reduction on their car. Titanium this, carbon fiber that, no interior... but they weigh over 400lbs and don't fit in their super cool light weight racing seat.
I guess there logic is if they can get their car under 3000 lbs, then they can keep on stuffing their fat faces with cheeseburgers.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
I used some hellmans to clean my brake rotors. A couple of hard stops and the pedal feel is super high.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
I used some hellmans to clean my brake rotors. A couple of hard stops and the pedal feel is super high.
Did you lube the pins with it though?