GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Building Otto

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
Rest of the goodies arrived over the weekend.

This manifold from StorableComa / SC Skunkwerks looks really nice. Not only did I not have to drill into my stock manifold (keep as a spare?) but the threaded inserts and holes for the extra injectors are really clean and it comes with new sensors / vac lines / gaskets pre-installed. Hard to beat at his price.

Also noticed my SimosTools dongle doesn't have a USB port or anywhere else obvious that I'd use to update the firmware so I guess that's done already. Will confirm with my tuner before getting carried away. Still need to get everything installed and naturally my clutch has started slipping like a MF so we need to decide to either deal with that now or yolo.

View attachment 301858 View attachment 301860 View attachment 301859 View attachment 301862 View attachment 301861
What clutch are you running? nvm am dumb
Ringer Racing Stage 4 Self Adjusting Clutch Kit -- Installed 3/9/23
So the Ringer only held on for a little over a year? That's disappointing. Do you think power output had anything to do with it, or just a failure of the clutch? I know some people like them, and others hate them. I went SB3D thinking it would hold as much power as I could want from this platform, but that was before E was a thought on my mind

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI

This manifold from StorableComa / SC Skunkwerks looks really nice. Not only did I not have to drill into my stock manifold (keep as a spare?) but the threaded inserts and holes for the extra injectors are really clean and it comes with new sensors / vac lines / gaskets pre-installed. Hard to beat at his price.

Also noticed my SimosTools dongle doesn't have a USB port or anywhere else obvious that I'd use to update the firmware so I guess that's done already. Will confirm with my tuner before getting carried away. Still need to get everything installed and naturally my clutch has started slipping like a MF so we need to decide to either deal with that now or yolo.

View attachment 301858 View attachment 301860 View attachment 301859 View attachment 301862 View attachment 301861
yeah he PM'd me after I'd picked up the hpfp internals about this.....banghead.....I might as well call it here that I'll be picking up his kit down the road, dang it

19birel

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 - MK4 - B8.5

What clutch are you running? Did you delete that pesky delay valve?

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP

That shit is bluetooth. #voodoo.

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
What clutch are you running? nvm am dumb

So the Ringer only held on for a little over a year? That's disappointing. Do you think power output had anything to do with it, or just a failure of the clutch? I know some people like them, and others hate them. I went SB3D thinking it would hold as much power as I could want from this platform, but that was before E was a thought on my mind

From May of 2023 to March of 2024 I was making 0psi of boost, and didn't drive the car a ton, so don't think it had anything to do with the power.

I don't seem to have some of the problems others have complained about but this clutch has always periodically slipped and now the slips are no more frequent but they are more dramatic. They also seem random, it might slip during normal driving while I'm pulling away from a stop sign or going from 2nd to 3rd but then not slip during a long 4th gear pull. It might slip twice tomorrow and then not slip for another 3 weeks. It's weird.

That shit is bluetooth. #voodoo.

I was still expecting a USB for a data cable to do updates since most of the write ups outline it working that way. Bluetooth from OBD port to phone of course. I guess this is all the way bluetooth.

19birel

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 - MK4 - B8.5
You and me both. Went with it because it seemed like plenty of torque capacity to spare and I guess these may be pretty generously overrated.

Won't replace it until I really have to but in the meantime I guess we should be game planning which kit to go with now.
Clutch shopping is such a pain, I'll be curious to see what you go with as I'm in the market too. My clutch hasn't slipped yet, but it's stock so it's likely on borrowed time haha

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
Clutch shopping is such a pain, I'll be curious to see what you go with as I'm in the market too. My clutch hasn't slipped yet, but it's stock so it's likely on borrowed time haha

I was originally pretty set on an ACT before I decided to give Ringer a shot so anticipate I'll go that route unless some new information comes my way.

My stock clutch was working great, even at stage 2. Only upgraded because I was about to go Vortex. Maybe I got lucky but it had a lot of life still in it.

19birel

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 - MK4 - B8.5
I was originally pretty set on an ACT before I decided to give Ringer a shot so anticipate I'll go that route unless some new information comes my way.

My stock clutch was working great, even at stage 2. Only upgraded because I was about to go Vortex. Maybe I got lucky but it had a lot of life still in it.
Mine is still hanging on with the DTR, but I'm playing it safe on torque which has helped.

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
Walnut blasting is scheduled for Thursday 4/25 so won't have MPI set up until after that. Will get all the info over to Russell Road and Racing so I have my initial tune with SimosTool ready to go when that time comes. Guess I'll also do my spark plugs in the meantime.

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
Never a dull moment...

(I think I've started several posts this way)

Clutch is going. I always had the intermittent slip at the beginning of a pull (low RPM in high gear, so high load scenario and not how I typically drive so I was never that worried). Well now it's not holding when I try to put the power down regardless of gear or RPM. 3rd gear at 4k rpm? Spins up top. 4th gear at any RPM? Spins right away. It also feels like it shudders when taking off from a stop during normal driving and occasionally it won't take off it'll just spin. Otherwise driving is fine, rowing through the gears is still normal. In speaking to Mike @ Ringer he thinks something got on the disc. He said the self-adjusting pressure plate may no longer be self-adjusting which would cause more drivetrain noise but it wouldn't cause the other symptoms and since the engagement point is further down and not higher end up the thought is either everything was not clean enough when it was assembled, the rear main seal has been leaking and oil got on the disc, or it was in some other way contaminated. Wouldn't know for sure unless we pulled everything so we're just going to put a new clutch in if that's the case.

Leaning towards a stage 5 from Ringer or an ACT 6-puck. Something with a SMF. A lot of clutch conversation going on in a different thread, Spec twin-disks were thrown out there but I'm concerns about daily drive ability. Advantage to a 6-puck is it breaks in much quicker and it won't really hold up tuning much.

Which, p.s. sent my Simos details over to Russell Road and Race and am awaiting a base file for when MPI is set up. Then they'll be waiting on me until we can give her the beans again.

Yay cars!

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
Reasonably exciting day today.

Walnut blasting, MPI, new fuel lines from the LPFP, ethanol sensor all happening today. Shop is als chasing down another oil leak. The oil pan gasket was part of the problem (fixed previously) so now we're hunting down the rest. Should have the car back tomorrow.

For my part, I gapped the Ruth's so that we can drop those in when the car is back. Played around in SimosTools getting the gauge layout and units of measure the way I like. Got the base file from Russell Road and Racing to flash with SimosTools for the first time once the car is back. Then we're tuning!

Still on the old clutch. Going to hope it can survive tuning and then we'll go from there