GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Canon Rebel XTi users--

JhnR

Banned
I just bought one and i wanted to know whats everyone's settings.

Im not to familiar with it yet. but getting there.

JhnR

Banned
honestly dont know, i dont know much yet.

i wanna take a couple of nice pics of the car, and all around,

i like taking picture of something in the back, while the front in blurry, and vice versa.

JhnR

Banned
i been using the landscape settings, idk im willing to learn.

online i could find much.

Lucidity

Marx
i been using the landscape settings, idk im willing to learn.

online i could find much.

The Users manual is very good, as well as Canons online photo guide. It will help you in getting to know your sweet new camera. Once you've got the basics, then you can start looking elsewhere.

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/c...PageAct&key=Learning_Station&fcategoryid=2533

Also some of the newer cameras come with a basic getting started DVD, you might want to check for that.

JhnR

Banned
The Users manual is very good, as well as Canons online photo guide. It will help you in getting to know your sweet new camera. Once you've got the basics, then you can start looking elsewhere.

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/c...PageAct&key=Learning_Station&fcategoryid=2533

Also some of the newer cameras come with a basic getting started DVD, you might want to check for that.

thats great stuff, didn't see that one before.

that will help, i just don't have the time at work to look right now.

how does everyone use it, in Manual mode ?

Lucidity

Marx
thats great stuff, didn't see that one before.

that will help, i just don't have the time at work to look right now.

how does everyone use it, in Manual mode ?

All depends what you are going for. The XTi is a great camera, it shoots well in auto, but you can get even better quality once you get to know the modes more. I myself am learning too, so hopefully someone with more experience can comment on what's best for what. I don't think there is one mode that is perfect for everything. Read through the online resources that Canon has available, it will help you to know which mode is right for which kind of shot. They also explain what everything does quite well.

heftylefty

golfmkv elitist -_-
never use auto mode or similar modes. the best way to figure everything out is to mess with the camera in Av(i think thats the adjustable aperture mode for canons). you will be able to adjust the aperture manually and the camera will figure out what shutter speed to use for a proper exposure.

for "blurriness", you wanna use the widest aperture possible...this means setting the aperture to the lowest number possible. this will also give you a fast shutter speed. most photog's use this mode.

also, you wanna always shoot at the lowest possible ISO. this will give you the most clarity in your picture and will be the least grainy. once you raise it, the shutter speed will go up, but you will lose image quality.

learn what buttons do what and just start messing with it.

there are loads of info i could give so lemme know if there are any other questions you have.

Raddicted

Perfectly insane
I have the XTi and it's a great camera. Actually too much camera for this hack as I still have no idea what to do with it to get the best out of it. I usually point and shoot in "auto" mode, I think.

JhnR

Banned
Thanks for that heftylefty.

Whats the best software to do use with this camera. I know it came with one i forgot which one it was.

And also, whats the best way to take rolling shoots, or moving objects. (settings)

what about the P mode, automatically sets the shutter speed and aperture value to match the brightness of the subject?

whats the best settings for an all around mode?

Auto or A, or P.

i understand that i have to play with the settings a little, which i will, but until then i wanna be able to use it the right way.

heftylefty

golfmkv elitist -_-
there is no program that is good just for that camera...it depends on what you wanna do with the picture. i will always say photoshop for intensive editing, photomatix for HDR's, and lightroom for workflow/light editing. adobe lightroom and apple's aperture is essentially the same program and i highly recommend them. its easy to organize your files, it doesnt edit your original picture(huge plus), has all the adjustments you need for basic touch up's.

as for rolling shots, you want to shoot in shutter priority mode(gotta check the manual on what it is for canon). the basic rule of thumb is to set your shutter speed at the mph your car is traveling at(ie. 1/50 shutter speed at 50mph). for extra blur, use a shutter speed thats half the mph youre traveling. i tend to shoot around that, but its hard to get many good photos..i usually only get 1 good one out of 10ish. if its really sunny out then you may need to adjust your exposure value to get a proper exposure. it might be too sunny outside to use a shutter speed low enough to get a decent background blur while not over exposing he image. thats just something to keep in the back of your mind if you come across that situation.