GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Changing back to the Golf R's from the Type R

gti330ex

Go Kart Newbie
The R is beats the Type R at everything except for a few tenths at the race track. That's it. They're around the same price, have most of the same tech, and the aftermarket for both cars is pretty amazing. The R just steps it up quite a few notches with better infotainment & more refinements throughout the entire vehicle, namely in the interior space, an excellent AWD system, and just flat out better looks.

Unless you are taking the Type R to the track, there is no reason to buy one. And most track junkies will tell you that even the Type R isn't a "real" track car. It's a production car that's decent around a racetrack but will still need upgrades if you want it to be a real circuit burner. People who compete have dedicated track cars that are heavily modified and aren't afraid to break them. No one wants to spend 40k just to rip off a bumper or bust some suspension components during an event. Also, there's always the risk of actually crashing your car or hitting someone around a turn.

The Type R is aimed at Honda fanboys that have been waiting on a turbo charger from the factory or someone who wants a car that does decently well at auto x events. Most people just drive them on the street 99.9% of the time which kinda doesn't make sense if you ask me. The Type R has been a mystery to me since it debuted. Not quite a real track car, but too ugly for the streets. Not sure why the are so loved. At least we can drive our Golf Rs in the snow ;)

hahah @ few tenths on the track, try seconds on top of seconds.

A 275HP Leon cupra (basically GTI) beats an R on the track. CTR obliterates it on the track.

Last edited:

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
100 inches is a fucking ton of snow for any low lying area that isn't subject to lake effect snow.

The heaviest average snow total for NJ is in Sussex county, just over 60 inches annually.

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
I was just pointing out that other areas at elevation get well over 200in of snow regularly. They aren't cities and the whole point of asking was to see if he just meant cities. (100k+ population)

scrapin240

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf
hahah @ few tenths on the track, try seconds on top of seconds.

A 275HP Leon cupra (basically GTI) beats an R on the track. CTR obliterates it on the track.
The MQB GLI beat the Golf R at the annual lightning lap by Car and Driver, and the CTR was about 10 seconds faster, and these are almost 3 minute laps.

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
And Buffalo also.

I lived in Buffalo for 4 years.

I also lived at Lake Tahoe for 8. 200+ inches of wet snow in a typical year and as much as twice that some years. Do I win?

I'm only here instead of the gti board because I'm starting to consider moving to the R.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I lived in Buffalo for 4 years.

I also lived at Lake Tahoe for 8. 200+ inches of wet snow in a typical year and as much as twice that some years. Do I win?

I'm only here instead of the gti board because I'm starting to consider moving to the R.

Yes you win.

Mk_GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
The R is beats the Type R at everything except for a few tenths at the race track. That's it.

Unless you are taking the Type R to the track, there is no reason to buy one. And most track junkies will tell you that even the Type R isn't a "real" track car. It's a production car that's decent around a racetrack but will still need upgrades if you want it to be a real circuit burner. People who compete have dedicated track cars that are heavily modified and aren't afraid to break them. No one wants to spend 40k just to rip off a bumper or bust some suspension components during an event. Also, there's always the risk of actually crashing your car or hitting someone around a turn.

The Type R is known for having airflow and cooling issues on road courses, the Golf R doesn't.