GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Civic Spy Shots (4DR)

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
That looks interesting... kind of like an Audi A7 back... Are we sure that's a civic... that car looks BIG

BillyBob

is afraid of the dyno...
that does look almost accord sized...

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
That looks interesting... kind of like an Audi A7 back... Are we sure that's a civic... that car looks BIG

There's a LOT of padding in that rear area, but the swept back look is definitely there. Accord has this, but you can see it better on the TLX. Especially with the Duck Butt fin. I like it.

Its on the newer Accord Platform (Modular) so it will have roughly the same overall stance, but the upper sheet metal will give it the Civic Looks.

That being said, I hope the suspension geometry yields better camber gain than the current Accord. We're having issues with it on our race car.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
I willing to bet people will care about this one.

Merkle

Banned
I'm interested, but until I see one at a dealership, I am curbing my enthusiasm.

So many cool cars "coming to America soon" ... I can't be disappointed again.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
I just noticed something...

Are we sure that isn't an TLX?

grambles423

Automotive Engineer

mk6medic

Go Kart Champion
Jesus. Looks like they put a fat suit on it.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Like Merk, I'll care when I see a type R on a dealer lot... until then, the Civic has sucked since 2000 with a brief respite in the '06-11 Si.

Would you buy one if they did?

This is where I'm hung up. Enthusiasts are often the most wishy washy buyers to sell to. From M3s to GTIs to Corvettes to BRZs, there's such a wide range to appeal to. Honda often hits niche vehicles and plans around that. There's a very specific market for Hot Hatch FWD. Which is different from Hot Hatch AWD. Which is different from RWD Coupe. Which is different from AWD Coupe. Etc.

With the shift to turbo engines, lots of commonality is being shared among engines and platforms. Taking a page from the VW booklet, they now have the ability to fit a wide range of offerings with a common block.

Honda needs a Halo Car. Big time. It needs an S2000 for appeal. A baby NSX with a 2.0T + EAWD would suffice. Seeing as though most of the development is done, making common parts and platforms would make it cheaper to sell.

Jesus. Looks like they put a fat suit on it.

Yeah. I wasn't too keen on the bigger Civic. Honda wants to move more up market with this one.

With the styling they want, they based it off the Accord platform for wider track and longer wheelbase. In return, the the rest of the sheet metal had to be styled to accommodate so it didn't look as bulbous as the 9th gen.

C Segment cars are not what they used to be anymore. Even the Sentra, Corolla, Mazda 3 all have gotten bigger. A Civic of yore is more of a B-Segment car no and days....its upsetting to say the least.

Government wants MPG+Crash+Safety. More weight+More power to offset+bigger cars.

MURICA

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
It's true about the segment shifts… I'd rather buy a Fit than a Civic these days. The Fit (at least the first ten, only one I've driven) does what the old Civics like the one I had did. It's cheap, has a good shifter, handles decently well, feels fun and gets good mileage.

Would I buy a Type R? Hard to say… I really don't know what my life will be like in two or three years. Right now with traveling the amount I do, I would not. If I had more of a standard commuting lifestyle and needed a practical car, I would look into it. Honda gets "FWD performance" (or at least used to) better than anyone. FWD is practical for a daily. I think if you put that EAWD on a new S2000 you pretty much alienate all the buyers, who the hell wants an AWD roadster?

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
I think the once again revamped Si would make a terrific daily. I really like the new civics in terms of size and interior quality.

Honda really stepped up their game in terms of that. But then you start looking around and you'll quickly find that a golf is around the price/perfomance as a civic SI... and things are going to get muddy.

I have no idea why they are making the civic bigger. The current civic is the perfect size for a compact car. There is room for 4 and some trunk space, if you wanted more room you'd get the giant accord or humongous camry. Making the civic bigger cuts out a lot of ppl that actually WANT a smaller car for city environments etc.