GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Computer build help

AlfaMikeF0xtr0t

Ready to race!
Standard fan connections would fit yes. I mean the connection for the fans coming from the front panel. It's part of the case itself.

Do Work Son

Go Kart Champion
I'll look when I get home. You're sure that's coming out of a fan, right?

blankwavercade

Ready to race!
I'm not a Hotmail or Live user other than my Xbox so most of Win8's features are lost on me. The Metro interface isn't suited for a mouse and there's still plenty of software compatibility issues. My Samsung SSD software doesn't support Win8 yet for example. I bought another OEM Win7 but I'll keep my 8 around for a couple of years down the road when support improves.

I agree with your reasoning for giving up on win8. My co worker brought me a copy from his school software distribution office. I tried it on my laptop used it for a few hours. I hadn't touched that laptop for a few weeks then needed to bring a laptop for some training at work. I ended up installing arch on it for two reasons. One win 8 is embarrassing in a software company of *nix and mac users. and two node.js and git run so much better on nix.

AlfaMikeF0xtr0t

Ready to race!
I'll look when I get home. You're sure that's coming out of a fan, right?

No, it's a fan connection, coming from the front panel. I figured it out. I assumed the side panel fan would connect to the mobo headers. But the side fan connects to the connection I was asking about.

I'm still unsure how the fan speed control on the front panel works. I switch the positions but none of the fans change speed. I'm guessing my mobo doesn't have that option.:iono:

Do Work Son

Go Kart Champion
Yeah, I just got home and looked, the fans are daisy chained to that switch. The switch on the front of the case that goes up and down controls their speed, the fans are so quiet that you don't really notice the change. Just leave the switch up and know your stuff's staying cool.

This really is a great case.

AlfaMikeF0xtr0t

Ready to race!
They are quiet I'll give you that. I just didn't feel any difference in how much air they were actually blowing when I moved the switch is all. Wasn't sure if it was hooked up right or if the fans weren't able to have their speeds changed or what.

But whatever, it's all put together and working. Working on installing all the drivers and anti-virus software and all that jazz. It is nice having a SSD now though. No more waiting 8 minutes during restarts when installing all this crap.:D

Do Work Son

Go Kart Champion
Actually I just realized this fact because I'm finally connecting the side fan and had trouble finding a header for it LOL.

AlfaMikeF0xtr0t

Ready to race!
That's what confused me at frist about that fan connection coming from the front panel. I was scratching my head for quite a while about it.

Do Work Son

Go Kart Champion
Ah, Win7 back up and running.

AlfaMikeF0xtr0t

Ready to race!
I'm trying to learn Win7 still at this point. I've seen what it looks like but had never used it before this. I think I spent a good 30 minutes looking for "Add/Remove Programs" that I'm used to from XP.

Do Work Son

Go Kart Champion
It's better, do make sure you download Microsoft Security Essentials ASAP, it's a free and actually quite good virus checker.

AlfaMikeF0xtr0t

Ready to race!
I may try it, but I've used Zonealarm firewall and antivirus. Having more than 1 anitvirus can cause issues when they clash.

Thanks again to everyone to chimed in with suggestions. I am loving this build right now. So clean and fast. Even loving the new Logitech 710 keyboard/mouse setup. Their Unifying receiver is really awesome, I don't need 2 sets, I just swap the receiver over to switch builds.:D

Do Work Son

Go Kart Champion
I didn't like ZoneAlarm's false positives blaring.

AlfaMikeF0xtr0t

Ready to race!
Anyone know of any good free games to try out? I've never been a PC gamer and don't feel like spending $60+ on a game just to find out I can't adjust to keyboard/mouse gaming.