GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Computer build help

Do Work Son

Go Kart Champion
Install Steam, make an account, and surf for demos.

Do Work Son

Go Kart Champion
Negative. It happens to be the best digital distribution site on the Internet and has tons of sales. Depending on what you're into there's lots of free to play and very cheap games to waste time with. A couple of us are DotA2 fans, I'm actually making it my mission to play much, much, much less of it.

AlfaMikeF0xtr0t

Ready to race!
I knew what it was, just didn't know it was free. Just made an account. Now debating if I want to spend $60 to re-buy Borderlands 2 for PC (I have it for Xbox 360)

nouse4aname

Go Kart Champion
Wait for sales, I got my borderlands 2 on steam for around 25 during a holiday sale.

Also check humble bundle.
http://www.humblebundle.com/weekly
4 games(steam codes) including Red Faction which is a bit like borderlands and the excellent Darksiders1&2 all for $7 this week.

And there's always the the option of plugging an Xbox controller into your PC if you just prefer those control layouts.

AlfaMikeF0xtr0t

Ready to race!
Wait for sales, I got my borderlands 2 on steam for around 25 during a holiday sale.

Also check humble bundle.
http://www.humblebundle.com/weekly
4 games(steam codes) including Red Faction which is a bit like borderlands and the excellent Darksiders1&2 all for $7 this week.

And there's always the the option of plugging an Xbox controller into your PC if you just prefer those control layouts.

I just might check out those games for that cheap. I know I can use an xbox controller with PC, just not sure how well it will work. I tried with Minecraft, but since the controls aren't native to a controller, I had to use a secondary program to map the keys, didn't work very well. Hoping a FPS type game will have native controls for a handheld controller and is just plug-n-play.

aneskee

Ready to race!
if ur looking to customize your comp you should check out my bf's page evolution computers ... :thumbup:

AlfaMikeF0xtr0t

Ready to race!
Since everyone seems to be much more knowledgeable than me about his kind of stuff, I want to double check what I've found and done. For reference my 120gb SSD is OS, and 1tb mechanical has no OS, just storage space.

I couldn't account for 15gb of space being used on the SSD. It was being used by pagefile.sys and hiberfil.sys. Now I've found out pagefile is the virtual memory used when you run out of RAM (which with 8gb shouldn't have happened) and hiberfil was for hibernation mode (which I never use)

I found out how to disable hiberfil.sys by running CMD as admin > powercfg -h off. It worked, cleaned up 8gb of space on the SSD. Done. <gives self pat on back for doing computer stuff when I obviously don't know what I'm doing>

Found some info on moving the paging file to another hard disk to free up space on an SSD. This is what I'm wondering if it's a good idea or not. I'll just copy the instructions here to save time explaining.

I do not think there are any risk associated with this, however you will need to reboot your server afterwards.

1. Right Click Computer | Choose Properties
2. Click Advanced System Settings
3. Performance Tab | Click Settings
4. Advanced Settings Tab | Virtual Memory | Click Change
5. Uncheck Automaticaly manage page file
6. Clicking on disk will allow you to set paging file where you want

I would recommend you to have a page file on c drive in size at least 500MB this should be sufficient for having dumps. Than you can have bigger paging file on different drive which should help in respect to performance

I changed the SSD from system managed size to custom > minimum 500mb maximum 2000mb. And on my 1tb mechanical HDD, I changed it from no paging file to system managed. Currently it says I have 8652mb total paging file size.

Just curious if these changes are ok to make or if it will hurt performance or stability in any way. I just didn't like my SSD getting filled up so much on a 2 day old system. Even started moving any Steam games from the SSD to my 1tb for storage and move them back to the Steam folder when I'm going to use them.

Also, thank you Do Work Son. In task manger > resource monitor, at one point it showed approx. 6gb of memory in standby and only 304mb free. vsmon.exe (Zonealarm) must have a huge memory leak in it as it was always at the top of the list for usage. I got rid of it in exchange for the MSE you suggested.

GTINAPLES

Ready to race!
Do a raid with two SSD and the make a dummy folder on the SSD that forward what ever you save to it to the regular hard drive but uses SSD speed.

I have i7 3770k Overclocked to 4.8ghz
GTX 670 4GB Overclocked
V8 heat sync
1000 watt PSU
A LOT OF RED FANS
a bunch of USB 3.0
2 x 256gb SSD
3 x 4tb 7200rpm drives

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1364882428.633678.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1364882428.633678.jpg