GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Continental ExtremeContact Sport 02 Tires

MADPWR

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
I too am interested to see any feedback on the Continental Extremecontact Sport 02 tires. I have the OEM 19" wheels, so the 235/35/19 tire size. I just completed my third summer of using the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires, and they are about half a millimeter away from hitting the treadwear indicator bars. I love those tires in the dry. The wet traction is fine enough up to about 75 mph, but they aren't the most confident at that speed, especially after the first summer. They never were good if you hit standing water, but such is the nature of moving up in dry performance. The Michelins sit very square on my wheels, which I like. Tire Rack says the tread width on my Michelins is 8.5" and 8.1" on the Continental. So, I am thinking the Continental's won't sit as square. There are different versions for the Michelin in the same size that all have different tread widths. I looked up the tire size that Tire Rack used for testing (225/40/18), and it shows the Michelin has a 7.7" tread width, and the Continental had 7.6" tread width. This means their tire tread width for the tested Continental was about 1.3% less than the Michelin, but at my tire size the Continental is about 4.7% less. I wonder how that difference factors into things. From a study I saw years ago about tires, the wider the contact patch the shorter it is, so I'm not sure how that translates into terms of area.

The Continentals have greater tread depth, so I would be hopeful to get four summers out of them instead of the three I did on the Michelins. If the Continentals even perform just as good as the Michelins, it would be a big savings to pay less and get an extra summer out of them. Tire Rack testing also shows the Continental to be a more comfortable tire too, which I thought Michelin already was good on comfort. So, this also adds to the interest in the Continental.

It would be especially helpful if anyone has driven both the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S and the Continental Extremecontact Sport 02 tires. Any feedback would be helpful though.

Last edited:

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
It would be especially helpful if anyone has driven both the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S and the Continental Extremecontact Sport 02 tires. Any feedback would be helpful though.

Well turns out, the best tire review channel already did that (he is British but seems to be US-based, the Extreme contact 02 is for the US market only, he goes into detail towards the end)

I'm trying to source the Pilot Sport 5 (the non S ones) myself, hoping for a bit more comfort / less noise for slightly worse performance, but more consistent performance as the tire ages, etc.... but non of the major US retailers have them, even though the PS5 has been out for a year already....

I contacted Tire Rack, they said they will have a few models available next year, but idk if I can wait that long... im down to like 5/32 in the center knobs on my old PZero AS Plus tires (I used to live in the northeast)
Crazy they supposedly have 50k mi warranty but they have lost 3/4ths of the legal thread in 25k mi.... I dont want to even wait for them to reach the legal 2/32 limit as it rains a lot here and wet performance has noticeably worsened already.

Another good video by the same reviewer comparing the new PS5 tires with the PS4S (and the touring Primacy tires)

MADPWR

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
I got a chance to see the Michelin vs Continental video. I've seen that guy before on a few videos. I really like how he collects and puts the information together. I also saw him do a fascinating video of Pilot Sport 4S general market tire vs the BMW M3 specific. I was aware of minor differences between versions, but wow, the two versions was very different. However, back on to to topic. I think based on the Tire Rack testing and the video above, I think I am leaning towards the Continental. Although, by the time I put them on in spring, the new Pilot Sport S 5 should be out for general market. So, who knows what will happen at that point. I do like that the Continental is significantly lower in price and has a shot at lasting four summers instead of just three.

I have nothing but positive things to say about my Pilot Sport 4S tires, well except you can't go crazy in rain and have to careful around standing water, but I love the tires. However, I am surprised I only got three summers out of them. I was expecting to just barely get four summers out of them. I think I got right around 20,000 miles out of them, at most maybe 22,000 miles.

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
Yeah, I don't know why our cars eat through tires so badly, im rotating and getting alignments at least 2-3 times per set, and the adjustments needed are minor.... I also hardly ever drive corners hard, never launch it (im kind to my clutch), etc... I managed to get just over 30k mi on the original "Bridgestone Potenza S04 Pole Position" but they were basically bald by then, that was a bad move on my part.... I expected the PZero All Seasons to last way longer, but its looking like they wont make it past 30k.... I guess thats just what it is.... unless we get some actually hard-compound "grand touring" tires.... but I cant actually get anything other that performance tires for that size 235/35/19 anyways...

Although, by the time I put them on in spring, the new Pilot Sport S 5 should be out for general market.

I highly doubt that... they are now just releasing the PS "S5" for OEMs only, and will release models for the retail market maybe next year... the regular PS 5 has been out almost a year, and you cant find them anywhere (in the US)...

Supposedly modded euros will have them in mid December = https://www.moddedeuros.com/products/michelin-pilot-sport-5-235-35zr19-xl

The Michellins are made in France but the USDM tires seem to be made in SC, USA... I think it has to do with that factory in the US that begins production after the one in France... we get the new models way later.
(The USDM only Continental EC02s are also made in the US, naturally)

I would get the continental purely for it being a newer tire, the P4S is almost 7 years old... and like the guy in the video said, if you already tried one... try the other... I guess he is talking to you....

scrllock

Autocross Champion
I have nothing but positive things to say about my Pilot Sport 4S tires, well except you can't go crazy in rain and have to careful around standing water, but I love the tires. However, I am surprised I only got three summers out of them. I was expecting to just barely get four summers out of them. I think I got right around 20,000 miles out of them, at most maybe 22,000 miles.
I find them to be great in the the rain. I think I got 5 seasons out of one set, and then finally retired them after a 6th year where they had some tread but minimal grip left.
I highly doubt that... they are now just releasing the PS "S5" for OEMs only, and will release models for the retail market maybe next year... the regular PS 5 has been out almost a year, and you cant find them anywhere (in the US)...

I would get the continental purely for it being a newer tire, the P4S is almost 7 years old... and like the guy in the video said, if you already tried one... try the other... I guess he is talking to you....
PS5 isn't even worthwhile... At best a sidegrade from PS4S. Waiting to see if PSS5 comes out before spring otherwise I'm buying ECS02 to replace my old PS4S.

MADPWR

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
To be fair, I do drive fast and corner hard. In a decent downpour when the tires were new I was comfortable at 85mph, and I think the most I got to was about 100mph. Any standing water though, not even talking about deep standing water, even at 45mph it would jerk the car pretty good. After about the second summer the tires started to feel floaty over 65/75mph in light rain. In heavy rain it felt like it would be a bad idea to go over 75mph if I wanted to stay on the road. However, I get far more dry days than wet days, so I was more than willing to take the tradeoff of more dry performance with less wet performance. But, I didn't want to go crazy since it is my daily driver, which is why I didn't jump up to the Sport Cup 2 Connects. That would have been too much reduced wet traction for a daily driver. They also probably would only last two summers given the softer compound, but I can only imagine how glorious they would be on dry days for those two summers, lol.

Last edited:

leo_amaral81

Car(s)
Golf R MK7.5 MT
I'm using here in Miami (summer) the original ContiSportContact 5P and its super noisy and it wore out very quickly (10k miles). Its treadwear is 240.
I would like a tire with higher treadwear and less noisy.
What do you recommend?

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
Pretty much what I am looking for.... higher treadwear (so they at least make it to 25-30k mi safely), less noise and also a bit more comfort... but not giving up on performance completely.... Also in Miami... So also need some wet performance, aquaplaning especially.

What size are you looking for? I need 235/35R19 myself... Also im trying to get a newer tire model, making it extra hard..

If you are looking for 18in, its going to be a lot easier... it seems im stuck atm with either the EC 02, the old PS4S, or wait for the PS5 to be available (they never made the PS4 in my 19in size)....

I can find the new Goodyear Eagle F1 Super Sport in my size in Tire Rack, but the Tire-Reviews 2022 UHP tire test rates it 4th behind the SC7 (1st), the Old PS4S (2nd), and even the Bridgestone Potenza Sport (3rd)... and the cons are exactly what I am trying to avoid:
  • Positive - Excellent in the dry with the best dry handling and short dry braking distances.
  • Negative - Low grip in the wet with long wet braking distances, low aquaplaning resistance, noisiest tire on test, low levels of comfort.

Might as well get the PS4S or EC02 at that point. (The EC02 is basically the US market version of the SC7, they are comparable)

The more mellow Goodyear tire, the new Eagle F1 Asymmetric 6 is available in my size, but impossible to find in the US for some reason, readily available in Europe though.... However it doesn't do too bad in Tire-Reviews 2023 Performance tire test, rated 3rd behind the PC7 and PS5, but between the top 3 its very close....

The Conti PC7 in that test would be the best for me with the lowest noise, best wet perf, and highest comfort... but they were not released in my size, and I dont think ever will... they didnt for the previous generations...

(Important note in that test, the PS5 was rated 2nd, and the differences between all are marginal, but did considerably better in treadwear)

So yeah, im stuck between the Conti EC 02, the old PS4S, or wait for the PS5... or maybe start looking at the Bridgestone options...

Really annoyed with Goodyear (An American brand), their US website is awful, it seems they just want you to go to their retail franchise stores... I have seen them, not gonna let those people touch my wheels.

edit: added links to the tests...

Last edited:

MADPWR

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
I saw tons of reports of the OEM Continental ContiSportConticact 5P only getting 10,000 miles out of them. The 240 treadwear rating on them is even lower than their own higher performing summer tires. Don't forget treadwear ratings are manufacturer specific. A 240 treadwear is not a universal number, so a 240 on a Michelin is different than a 240 on a Continental.

I can tell you I don't like driving on my Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 high performance all seasons. I drove one full year with them. Originally I thought I liked them in the dry and rain, but I was not happy with them in the snow. They are highly rated for snow, but I think the light weight and short wheelbase of the car didn't do these tires any favors in the snow. They are not good in cold wet conditions. After I put on the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires did I realize how stiff riding the Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 was. Also, the summer traction was hugely more with the Michelins. For winter I have been using the Pirelli Winter SottoZero 3 in W speed rating, and those are softer riding than the Continentals too. I use the Continental all seasons for about two months a year, basically November and March/April. I will say after driving softer riding tires, I hate driving on my Continental all seasons.

Right now, my best guess on mileage for the Continental Extremecontact Sport 02 tires is going to be 20,000-24,000 miles. But if the 240 Continental ContiSportContact 5P is accurate for 10,000 miles, then I think that means the 340 rating of the Continental Extremecontact Sport 02 means 14,000 miles. On a daily driver I wouldn't go higher than the max performance summer tire. All the extreme performance summer category tires had greatly reduced wet traction and much lower treadwear ratings.

Last edited:

leo_amaral81

Car(s)
Golf R MK7.5 MT
Pretty much what I am looking for.... higher treadwear (so they at least make it to 25-30k mi safely), less noise and also a bit more comfort... but not giving up on performance completely.... Also in Miami... So also need some wet performance, aquaplaning especially.

What size are you looking for? I need 235/35R19 myself... Also im trying to get a newer tire model, making it extra hard..

If you are looking for 18in, its going to be a lot easier... it seems im stuck atm with either the EC 02, the old PS4S, or wait for the PS5 to be available (they never made the PS4 in my 19in size)....

I can find the new Goodyear Eagle F1 Super Sport in my size in Tire Rack, but the Tire-Reviews 2022 UHP tire test rates it 4th behind the SC7 (1st), the Old PS4S (2nd), and even the Bridgestone Potenza Sport (3rd)... and the cons are exactly what I am trying to avoid:
  • Positive - Excellent in the dry with the best dry handling and short dry braking distances.
  • Negative - Low grip in the wet with long wet braking distances, low aquaplaning resistance, noisiest tire on test, low levels of comfort.

Might as well get the PS4S or EC02 at that point. (The EC02 is basically the US market version of the SC7, they are comparable)

The more mellow Goodyear tire, the new Eagle F1 Asymmetric 6 is available in my size, but impossible to find in the US for some reason, readily available in Europe though.... However it doesn't do too bad in Tire-Reviews 2023 Performance tire test, rated 3rd behind the PC7 and PS5, but between the top 3 its very close....

The Conti PC7 in that test would be the best for me with the lowest noise, best wet perf, and highest comfort... but they were not released in my size, and I dont think ever will... they didnt for the previous generations...

(Important note in that test, the PS5 was rated 2nd, and the differences between all are marginal, but did considerably better in treadwear)

So yeah, im stuck between the Conti EC 02, the old PS4S, or wait for the PS5... or maybe start looking at the Bridgestone options...

Really annoyed with Goodyear (An American brand), their US website is awful, it seems they just want you to go to their retail franchise stores... I have seen them, not gonna let those people touch my wheels.

edit: added links to the tests...
I'm looking for 235/35R19 tires. I dont drive a lot this car on the rain and usually when it's raining I'm reducing the speed. LOL.
Based on all have ready here I have a feeling that I will end buying the Michelin Pilot Sport 4, but not sure if the Summer or the All Season (All season to get a better Treadwear)).
Thanks for your help.

leo_amaral81

Car(s)
Golf R MK7.5 MT
I saw tons of reports of the OEM Continental ContiSportConticact 5P only getting 10,000 miles out of them. The 240 treadwear rating on them is even lower than their own higher performing summer tires. Don't forget treadwear ratings are manufacturer specific. A 240 treadwear is not a universal number, so a 240 on a Michelin is different than a 240 on a Continental.

I can tell you don't like driving on my Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 high performance all seasons. I drive one full year with them. Originally I thought I liked them in the dry and rain, but I was not happy with them in the snow. They are highly rated for snow, but I think the light weight and short wheelbase of the car didn't do these tires any favors in the snow. They are not good in cold wet conditions. After I put on the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires did I realize how stiff riding the Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 was. Also, the summer traction was hugely more with the Michelins. For winter I have been using the Pirelli Winter SottoZero 3 in W speed rating, and those are softer riding than the Continentals too. I use the Continental all seasons for about two months a year, basically November and March/April. I will say after driving softer riding tires, I hate driving on my Continental all seasons.

Right now, my best guess on mileage for the Continental Extremecontact Sport 02 tires is going to be 20,000-24,000 miles. But if the 240 Continental ContiSportContact 5P is accurate for 10,000 miles, then I think that means the 340 rating of the Continental Extremecontact Sport 02 means 14,000 miles. On a daily driver I wouldn't go higher than the max performance summer tire. All the extreme performance summer category tires had greatly reduced wet traction and much lower treadwear ratings.
Thanks for your inputs...

MADPWR

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
235/35/19 is the size of all my sets of tires.... summers, all seasons, and winters. I definitely understand wanting to get good mileage, but you may want to make sure you consider the comfort and fun factor too. You spent good money on a good car. It's worth spending a little extra to get tires that not only provide more safety (better grip & quicker stopping) but also more fun/comfort factor. If you are just driving in the Miami area, or really just anywhere south of snow, I wouldn't consider anything other than a summer tire. It will give you the maximum of everything for your climate. There are summer tires out there that are also wet driving focused. The big thing is the compound of the summer tire is best suited for your temperature range. You could even look at lower summer performance categories as well. I would skip the all seasons for your climate.

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
I'm looking for 235/35R19 tires. I dont drive a lot this car on the rain and usually when it's raining I'm reducing the speed. LOL.
Based on all have ready here I have a feeling that I will end buying the Michelin Pilot Sport 4, but not sure if the Summer or the All Season (All season to get a better Treadwear)).
Thanks for your help.

Note the more mellow performance tire from Michelin, the Pilot Sport 4 (PS4) was unfortunately never released in 235/35R19 = https://www.michelinman.com/auto/tires/michelin-pilot-sport-4?tyreSize=19
The All Season version of the PS4 does come in that size 19 though.....

I would advise against an All Season for us here in Miami though, it may have a bit better treadwear but its not much... the tire compound has to still be somewhat soft to work in colder temps, and the sidewalls are stiffer, usually the All Seasons are actually more unconformable that summer tires.

I used to live in the northeast and im actually using the P Zero All Season Plus myself.... not only are they not going to make it to 25k mi (Forum members here have easily made it past that with the Pilot Sports 4S), they are not taking the Miami heat well... the compound is deteriorating quite a bit.... Wet performance is gotten really bad as the tread worn down too, I cant wait to get rid of them.

I slow down too in the rain, but as you know in Miami sometimes highways turn into little pools and it doesn't take too much speed to aquaplane...

The PS4 replacement is the Pilot Sport 5 (PS5), that's the one im eyeing, they actually did release that one in that 19in size we need..... and obviously the Ultra High Performance tire from Michelin, Pilot Sport 4 S (PS4S), that everyone runs here, was released in that size as well.....

(The PS4S replacement is the PSS5, they moved the S behind the number.... that one has only been released in minimal sizes for OEMs, it will take a years before we can buy that tire here in the US)

In the end, the difference between the PS4/PS5 and the PS4S/PSS5 is minimal really, we would barely notice... its at the limit or in a track day that its noticeable... also they all have the same 30k mi treadwear warranty....

Last edited: