GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cops Trap Scores of Suspected Drag Racers in Parking Lot

Javwohl

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Carbon Steel
Some people on this forum would probably have me arrested for driving a wagon. šŸ¤:LOL:
but wagons are so beautiful. if i had my way i would have a wagon but my brother over ruled me so we got the gti instead. seen an a4 wagon not the allroad and that thing looked nice with the swooping back more shooting brake style. but unfornatly my brother dosent like wagons

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
Not saying I condone it. Just saying I understand this energy and itā€™s easy too. When I was a teen closest track was over three hours away. A lot of these cities need a proper track, let these cats blow off their steam in a safe environment.

dunno if thereā€™s a proper 1/4 near Atlanta. I imagine there is. City that big should have one.
This is great point too. Somewhat. Iā€™ve lived near what was a world class track for years. Street racing was still alive and well in the area. Insurance to keep the doors open went through the roof and it shut down the 1/4 mile. Street racing is nearly a culture for some doesnā€™t matter if there is a track. Itā€™s about doing it clandestinely and making some money quick. I think. I recall standing in parking lots watching guys argue comparing ladder bars to aluminum heads. Crazy times.

I donā€™t know if a track would be enough. I think this is about just causing chaos. Then posting to social media.

Agray

Go Kart Champion
nope they would just see another golf and could never believe what is hideing in plain site
Not proud of it and was certainly a dumb decision when I was younger, but this got me out of a street racing charge with a statieā€¦

ā€œSir, I did downshift, but I did not intend on racing that Camero you clocked at 135ā€¦ this is just a VW Golf, I wouldnā€™t have a chance.ā€

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
We have tracks around here. This is something different. And as mentioned before, it's not street racing. Mostly RWD current era "muscle" cars. It's also not drifting. There's skill in drifting. These are just RWD cars that people are smashing the pedals down and doing donuts.

This article is from a year ago, but 285 is our major perimeter around the city (sometimes as large as 6 or more lanes on each side).
3 arrests made in I-285 drift racing incident | News | cbs46.com

And another one from September.
Street racers arrested after blocking I-85 N at I-285 to let other cars lay drag (wsbtv.com)

And how the city is cracking down on it.
Atlanta street racing crackdown | Arrests made, cars impounded | 11alive.com

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
We have tracks around here. This is something different. And as mentioned before, it's not street racing. Mostly RWD current era "muscle" cars. It's also not drifting. There's skill in drifting. These are just RWD cars that people are smashing the pedals down and doing donuts.

This article is from a year ago, but 285 is our major perimeter around the city (sometimes as large as 6 or more lanes on each side).
3 arrests made in I-285 drift racing incident | News | cbs46.com

And another one from September.
Street racers arrested after blocking I-85 N at I-285 to let other cars lay drag (wsbtv.com)

And how the city is cracking down on it.
Atlanta street racing crackdown | Arrests made, cars impounded | 11alive.com
I cant blame them. When I was involved in the street racing scene, it was argue in a lot, go run the race on some dead road and leave. This is another level.

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
I don't really care what a bunch of kids are doing in a parking lot. In fact, I appreciate that they're keeping it away from the rest of the world on the streets.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
It's not much different than it was 12-14 years ago. People did stupid shit at the meets all the time, but there was less people and there wasn't anybody recording the stupid shit they were doing. I remember a couple drag races out in front of a couple businesses and people doing donuts, and guys on motorcycles attempting to do wheelies back and forth in the same area.

The meets on saturday night look just like the one in the OP. 100+ cars driving around trying to find a place to hang out while cops kick them out of every parking lot they end up in. You get a couple kids showing up trying to show off and they ruin it for everybody.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
no... a "STREET TAKEOVER" event, is quite different than what the old street racer meets used to be, your talking 1/2 dozen cars all doing high speed donuts in a intersection that's blocked off by 100s of people, acting extra dumb trying to see how close they can get to touching a cars ass end while its whipping by.

some of them charger owners are just a different breed, haha.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
I don't really care what a bunch of kids are doing in a parking lot. In fact, I appreciate that they're keeping it away from the rest of the world on the streets.
Except there's rarely a place that you don't run the risk of things getting out of control. We used to live in a gated community that backed up to a WalMart. People would race down the back alley late at night, which was really just a lot of noise, until one yahoo lost control and drove through the perimeter wall and thankfully hit a tree, rather than nose diving off the twenty foot embankment. All things seem reasonably safe until you invite enough skill less idiots that a full on Hold My Beer moment occurs.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
no... a "STREET TAKEOVER" event, is quite different than what the old street racer meets used to be, your talking 1/2 dozen cars all doing high speed donuts in a intersection that's blocked off by 100s of people, acting extra dumb trying to see how close they can get to touching a cars ass end while its whipping by.

some of them charger owners are just a different breed, haha.
Ah yea, I didn't read the whole thing. Just saw the bit about sams parking lot. Something like that would be pretty unlikely to happen here. It's hard enough just having a parking lot meet without cops showing up to kick everyone out. Even if you weren't doing anything wrong. There's been enough instances of people acting dumb that most businesses don't want their parking lots filled with racerboys. They've put up no trespassing signs so cops kick people out right away. For a short time they even put a tower in the Best Buy parking lot.

They go somewhere more secluded to race, but I'm not sure where that is these days. I haven't been into the scene in a long time, but it's still fun to be part of the facebook group and see what the kids are up to.

With all these dumbass crackle tunes going around you get the cops called on you for no reason too. We were having a meet outside a VW shop here, just on a saturday morning/afternoon, and about an hour and a half into it a cop shows up saying he received a call about a gun being fired. There was probably less than 15 of us that were there so he just gave us a warning and told us not to do it again.