GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

CSB3: Sterkrazzys Five Page Dissertation - TLDR He Got A Flat Tire

JC_451

Autocross Champion
7rzq8b.jpg

aspro_gti

Autocross Champion
Elitist attitudes like this is what's collapsed many societies.

And we don't have free market, so not sure what your point is.

Musk is literally getting rich off of government funding and subsidies.
So you're saying he's not rich because of selling teslas and having founded paypal? You must not have been to California (they're everywhere)
btw, just looked it up, musk said paid over $11bn in taxes, unless he's a liar, that's more money than we'll likely ever see.

"And we don't have free market, so not sure what your point is" -we don't because so many people believe in intervention.

Elitist? Collapsing societies? Do tell.

If you think government and using power to redistribute wealth lift people out of poverty instead of by people pulling themselves up by the bootstraps, then I believe you are sadly mistaken.

Last edited:

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
My question is - if we taxed the rich a much more serious amount, would it make a difference, escpecially for the average tax payers? 95% of us make normal wages and pay normal taxes, which is some of the ~150m out of 160m tax paying americans (ecluding my wild guess at amount of children, elderly, non working etc) Would taxing the last few million really make a bug difference? Not arguing against it, its just a question ive always had.

Having kids is a personal choice and i suppose i agree its not really the states or anyone elses problem. Kids dont even pay taxes lol. But as we have seen with japan, not having kids kills economies too. The only way this system 'works' which is going to fail one day anyway is with constant growth
Taxing the wealthy a lower percentage than middle class people reduces revenue larger about of money than you'd think.

The real issue is the changes to capital gains and corporate taxes.

Our corporate tax code used to encourage corporations to hire employees and invest in the business to lower their tax burden. Now taxes are so low for both, there's no need, and they focus solely on share price and pay executives in shares, allowing them to pay zero taxes and they just borrow against their stock, cash out stock to pay loan, then deduct interest paid, lowering taxes to almost nothing. Billionaires are paying 3-4% federal taxes. A quarter of corporations pay 0% or less, many receiving tax incentives. To round out the kick in the dick to the working class, they paid off or politicians to write incentives into the tax code to outsource to other countries.

Elon a good con man.

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
I believe that the market is the one to decide which jobs pay higher... supply, demand, skill requirement. Why should the janitor get bumped up to and paid as much as a plumber, when the plumber had to go to trade school and who's job that has a higher skill requirement? Why do you think brain surgeons get paid so damn much? Low supply. (Although I think now they're actually out of jobs because of tech layoffs)

Your point is ridiculous because you want to play the intervention hand and make the employer pay them more for something that arguably isn't worth more. Personally I think we should focus on making it possible for everyone to make it out of a low wage job, which is an issue (equality of opportunity - i.e. getting an education). Hell, you could even play the "cost of living is too high for a lot of people that work full time" card, which would actually make sense.

"so we can have billionaire trying to play spaceman" Musk right? He earned the money to do so, and he's created more jobs and encouraged more innovation than most people on this earth. Everyone loves to paint this guy like some kind of villain. I do think teslas are shite and there are lots of fundamental errors in that industry, but you can't deny that he didn't earn his way to the upper class.
Damnit, you lured me in.

Ok, first, Musk: please do some basic googling about how he actually got his start, who his family is, and how he got money to invest in the first place. I'll leave it at that.

As for the rest, I'm not going to argue with you, but some difficult questions that it would benefit you to ponder:
How can you achieve equality of opportunity without also having some level of redistribution of assets? People with the means will always look for ways to help their children by providing them more opportunities that other people don't have access to.
You stated that "people can be whatever they want", but what if they can't? I assume you're a person of above average intelligence and based on what I know about you, you've likely spent most of your life around similarly smart people, but as your world expands, you will likely meet many more people of average or below average intelligence and you will be astonished by how dumb the average person actually is and rightly worried when it dawns on you that half the population is then dumber than that. No amount of hard work is going to get the guy born with an IQ of 78 to be an engineer or programmer, let alone something like a neurosurgeon. There are huge swaths of the population who quite literally do not possess the intelligence to become more educated or do better then menial labor; do they deserve to live in poverty?

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
So you're saying he's not rich because of selling teslas and having founded paypal? You must not have been to California (they're everywhere)
btw, just looked it up, musk said paid over $11bn in taxes, unless he's a liar, that's more money than we'll likely ever see.

"And we don't have free market, so not sure what your point is" -we don't because so many people believe in intervention.

Elitist? Collapsing societies? Do tell.

If you think government and using power to redistribute wealth lift people out of poverty instead of by people pulling themselves up by the bootstraps, then I believe you are sadly mistaken.
Dude is rich because he started rich, gets away with violating labor and tax laws, because he's rich and is swimming in government subsidies.

Governments can prevent monopolies and ensure a living wage. Our government hasn't, which has allowed billionaires to thrive while starving out the people doing the actual work. You're cool with that, because you were born well off.

Again. You're only cool with it, because you think you're going to end up a winner. It shows an elitist attitude and lack of empathy. It's literally why revolutions happen.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Damnit, you lured me in.

Ok, first, Musk: please do some basic googling about how he actually got his start, who his family is, and how he got money to invest in the first place. I'll leave it at that.

As for the rest, I'm not going to argue with you, but some difficult questions that it would benefit you to ponder:
How can you achieve equality of opportunity without also having some level of redistribution of assets? People with the means will always look for ways to help their children by providing them more opportunities that other people don't have access to.
You stated that "people can be whatever they want", but what if they can't? I assume you're a person of above average intelligence and based on what I know about you, you've likely spent most of your life around similarly smart people, but as your world expands, you will likely meet many more people of average or below average intelligence and you will be astonished by how dumb the average person actually is and rightly worried when it dawns on you that half the population is then dumber than that. No amount of hard work is going to get the guy born with an IQ of 78 to be an engineer or programmer, let alone something like a neurosurgeon. There are huge swaths of the population who quite literally do not possess the intelligence to become more educated or do better then menial labor; do they deserve to live in poverty?
He believes they do.

I grew up wealthy, I grew up around it. They really do feel like they deserve excess and people that do labor deserve poverty. It's why I got as far away from my family as I could when I graduated high school.

manu97

Autocross Champion
My wife is the epitome of the “anyone can be anything” argument. Her parents were below the poverty line for years as she grew up. She graduates from med school in 2026.

In high school, she asked her guidance counselor (near West Side Chicago school), how she could set herself up to get into medical school. She was told she wouldn’t ever have a shot at it, and that her best shot at anything resembling success would be to either join the Marines or go to community college and pursue nursing. She would be the first one to tell you that not everyone has the capability to move upwards, because they’ve started underwater and are just struggling to keep their head above water. When you’re stuck working 60 hours (or more) to just live, there’s just no time to advance yourself.

cb1111

I believe that the market is the one to decide which jobs pay higher... supply, demand, skill requirement. Why should the janitor get bumped up to and paid as much as a plumber, when the plumber had to go to trade school and who's job that has a higher skill requirement? Why do you think brain surgeons get paid so damn much? Low supply. (Although I think now they're actually out of jobs because of tech layoffs)

Your point is ridiculous because you want to play the intervention hand and make the employer pay them more for something that arguably isn't worth more. Personally I think we should focus on making it possible for everyone to make it out of a low wage job, which is an issue (equality of opportunity - i.e. getting an education). Hell, you could even play the "cost of living is too high for a lot of people that work full time" card, which would actually make sense.

"so we can have billionaire trying to play spaceman" Musk right? He earned the money to do so, and he's created more jobs and encouraged more innovation than most people on this earth. Everyone loves to paint this guy like some kind of villain. I do think teslas are shite and there are lots of fundamental errors in that industry, but you can't deny that he didn't earn his way to the upper class.
Ahhh, to be young and naive. I would have said "ignorant" but that might have had other connotations.

Tell you what. Try to live your life without the janitors and the cafeteria lady and the cashiers at McD or the grocery store.

And no, I'm not going to get sucked into this discussion.

aspro_gti

Autocross Champion
CSB: My date rescheduled for next wknd :/
I can still adjust where to take her - I was thinking of dinner, then movies. Very vanilla.
Any suggestions/takes?

aspro_gti

Autocross Champion
No movies - someplace where you guys have to talk a bunch :p . Bowling? Duckpin bowling? Short hike? Boat? Any festivals you can walk through? (pulling on all the stuff my now wife likes as low key dates)
Well don't you talk a lot at dinner? Bowling isn't a terrible idea. Hiking isn't bad although very weather dependent, and it's cold... would have sniffles. Festivals is a good lead... will look further. Boat?

Gee, idk guys, maybe I should invite her to the garage to hold the flashlight while I lean over my engine bay with my crack sticking out, trying to fix my oil leaks.
🤓🤓🥸🥸🥸🥸🤕 Lloydrule