GOLFMKV

CSB3: Sterkrazzys Five Page Dissertation - TLDR He Got A Flat Tire

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
1709912322495.png

actual @Corprin

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
I've done timing and valve cover. The only challenge would be having the cam gear tools for timing, 500 bucks of new chains+tensioners, and the patience to do it all in a weekend. You can do it with the motor in the car. The valve cover reseal is ez-pz, I did it at the same time I did timing. Rear main from what I've heard is just having the tool and patience.

80k miles? I'm approaching 160k, you'll be fine. If you need help with timing/valve cover, I can share my experiences more in depth.
Heh I appreciate it but I've done many timing jobs and have the tools. Rear main isn't hard just a pain dropping the trans with the car on jack stands, I'd almost rather pull the motor. Just need to get an engine hoist because mine is forever gone.

aspro_gti

Autocross Champion
Heh I appreciate it but I've done many timing jobs and have the tools. Rear main isn't hard just a pain dropping the trans with the car on jack stands, I'd almost rather pull the motor. Just need to get an engine hoist because mine is forever gone.
Sure, but 80k on the motor? I get it that track miles are different from street miles, but with how much you've put into it, it must be running like a top no?

manu97

Autocross Champion
Sure, but 80k on the motor? I get it that track miles are different from street miles, but with how much you've put into it, it must be running like a top no?
He includes all of the track consumables, like tires, brake pads, rotors in that 100k figure

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
It's been well maintained and was running good until last year when it started having problems after problem. One of these weekends I'll do a compression and leak down test and will have a better idea of what I want to do after that.

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
If I'm being honest my passion for it has dwindled. I used to love working on cars, now I hate it. Should never have started doing side work because it turned my hobby into a chore.
this is why I stopped doing PC repairs on the side, aside from doing it for close friends. And one of many reasons I couldn't be a mechanic by trade. I like when I don't need to stress about work on the car(s), and can just tackle things at my own pace. Also very glad I don't have to solve software issues anymore, because now when something goes pear shaped at home because someone just had to run a domain and set up all sorts of hacky enterprise shit it doesn't give me flashbacks of work/doesn't drain me.

I don't own a printer at home so it's a nice segregation of hobbies and work. Can't recommend it enough.

clownish

just clowning around
It's been well maintained and was running good until last year when it started having problems after problem. One of these weekends I'll do a compression and leak down test and will have a better idea of what I want to do after that.

Welp, you feel like you need a new motor, I have one sitting with an ECU and a k04.

aspro_gti

Autocross Champion
Jay and Clownish, I'm looking to tackle building a motor as a project (take it all apart and learn). Likely this summer/fall.
I'm keeping an eye on motors for sale since it's not really cool to have my GTI down for a month (likely way more), so finding one to buy and put on a stand is going to be the move.
If you plan on selling the motors to a forum member over FB, hmu.