GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

CSB3: Sterkrazzys Five Page Dissertation - TLDR He Got A Flat Tire

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Insane maybe, but that's expected at discount tire. Lesson learned
Maybe in your experience but that’s not been mine over years and years of using them 🤷‍♂️

Regardless, time to find a new go-to tire shop I guess.

aspro_gti

Autocross Champion
My endlink was loose. Tightened nut, problem solved.
S m h so embarrassing :/
Time to datalog more for da tune.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Yes. In no world is that OK. And in the many years of going there I’ve never had that level of repeat incompetence.
Or... and hear me out, is it insane that you went back so many times?

Sorry, man. Couldn't help it. I'm glad you finally have a quiet car with balanced tires.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
It happens.

Has a bolt come loose on my camber plate what took me a couple weeks to figure out.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Or... and hear me out, is it insane that you went back so many times?

Sorry, man. Couldn't help it. I'm glad you finally have a quiet car with balanced tires.
Main reason why I kept going back was because my gut was telling me a tire was out of round, and a warranty replacement would have been requested through them. Turns out there was indeed an out of round tire when I pressed them on it ("one of the tires has a hop"), but the manager on duty didn't know how to submit it so TR handled it.

Where do you go for tire stuff?

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Main reason why I kept going back was because my gut was telling me a tire was out of round, and a warranty replacement would have been requested through them. Turns out there was indeed an out of round tire when I pressed them on it ("one of the tires has a hop"), but the manager on duty didn't know how to submit it so TR handled it.

There's a Tires Plus near me that has done a good job in the past. Under new management, so not sure what I'll do.

I'm guessing I'll avoid Discount Tires though, after your experience.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
There's a Tires Plus near me that has done a good job in the past. Under new management, so not sure what I'll do.

I'm guessing I'll avoid Discount Tires though, after your experience.
I requested a quote from O'Steen to see what they would charge for mounting and balancing. Probably an arm and a leg, but they did a good job today so I'll put them on the list for the future. GoMobile has done a good job in the past too. They're pricey since they come to you, but it's hard to beat that convenience.

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
You found it at least, so not super embarrassing. Nobody got hurt, you're smarter now than you were before. Easy win.

I'm not gonna talk about what happened with my shit, but thankfully it also led me to find a wheel bearing with play, so overall it was a win.

PS 2x4 method is still the answer

cb1111

The problem is that it depends on the local shop. I've had good luck with the local Firestone on both tires and alignments (the lifetime alignment at $199 is ridiculously cheap. At my shop, I had the alignment checked twice at the dealer and it was spot on.

That said, I always make sure to request the same tech and periodically bring a case of sodas.

Also, there are plenty of horror stories about all of the chain stores and a local indy might be better.

It all comes down to the tech.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
I had a Rick Johnson right across the street from me I tried out a few times. Well the last time I went there for just a tire rotation and they forgot to tighten the lugs on one of the wheels. I had my mom and sister in my car and we drove for about 15 minutes before it got bad enough for me to realize something wasn't right. They've overtightened wheels on me before too. After all of that I said fuck chains. I've also been burned by the "best rated" tire shop in town, so I can't go there anymore either. I'll need to find a new place for my RS3. Maybe I should try out the dealer. I dunno.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
I had a Rick Johnson right across the street from me I tried out a few times. Well the last time I went there for just a tire rotation and they forgot to tighten the lugs on one of the wheels. I had my mom and sister in my car and we drove for about 15 minutes before it got bad enough for me to realize something wasn't right. They've overtightened wheels on me before too. After all of that I said fuck chains. I've also been burned by the "best rated" tire shop in town, so I can't go there anymore either. I'll need to find a new place for my RS3. Maybe I should try out the dealer. I dunno.
My wife had her lug nuts overtightened by a Kaufmann Tire (who I think is out of business now) to the point where when she needed some work at the dealer done they called to tell us they were probably going to break a stud trying to remove them. They did. Had to replace the hub. Kaufmann owned it though, and reimbursed us for all of the related repairs.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
I work with a few people who are just going through the motions.

They're like quality terrorists.

I'm sure most chain places actually have a few good mechanics, but they've probably also got a few who don't give a fuck and never planned to stick around anyway.