GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cuzoe's 2015 Golf TDI S Journal

aegis

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
With heated seats I'd say there's a 98% chance you're good to go.
I'm by no means an expert with this, but the gateway indicates MQB High. I'm realizing that's the canbus and not the BCM.. I'll have to do another look. Is there an actual module for the BCM in the scan tool?

Attachments

• Gateway.jpg
    Gateway.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 44

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I'm by no means an expert with this, but the gateway indicates MQB High. I'm realizing that's the canbus and not the BCM.. I'll have to do another look. Is there an actual module for the BCM in the scan tool?
Thought I responded to this... BCM is module 09.

aegis

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Another way to check is to try and set the Leuchte channels to fog light (just the red highlighted ones, don't worry about the others for now).
From old memory the BCM will reject the coding if it does not support fogs (meaning no pins)... that was 3 BCM's ago, haha.
(4)-Leuchte12NL LB45-Lichtfunktion A 12,Nebellicht links
(4)-Leuchte13NL RB5-Lichtfunktion A 13,Nebellicht rechts

Note: The above coding was taken from this thread... and is correct for adding foglights.
Back at it again, thanks for this information. Took me a minute to find it, a little new to the whole OBD interface. To preface, I haven't physically installed anything, just playing around in OBD to try what you suggested.
  • Went into byte 07 to try the 'Light switch with front fog lights' line item. Originally gave me this error (Image 1). Tried again and was successful, not sure why it gave me an error the first time (Image 2 and 3 show acceptance of changing it to 'installed').
  • Finally found the line item you highlighted above in adaptations. Image 4/5/6 shows it accepting the adaptation for what you suggested (A13 not pictured). Not sure what the login was for but I just used the top number..
All that being said, other than checking the actual pins on the BCM, seems like it will accept the fog light retrofit?
Cheers,

Attachments

• Image 1.jpg
    Image 1.jpg
    552.5 KB · Views: 28
  • Image 2.jpg
    Image 2.jpg
    523.2 KB · Views: 30
  • Image 3.jpg
    Image 3.jpg
    520.2 KB · Views: 32
  • Image 4.jpg
    Image 4.jpg
    550.9 KB · Views: 27
  • Image 5.jpg
    Image 5.jpg
    322.4 KB · Views: 25
  • Image 6.jpg
    Image 6.jpg
    548.7 KB · Views: 35

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Gotcha... Yeah I'm not sure why it would not have accepted the long coding the first time, but it does happen from time to time.

As for changing those adaptations... The login is security access. Depending on the module, and access code will be necessary to change any (or specific) adaptations. Code 31347 works for the BCM, code 20103 (from memory, don't quote me, haha) for the gateway.

There are also different "levels" of security access that may allow you to change certain adaptations that cannot be changed with a lower level access code. Nothing like that with regard to fog lights though.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Ohh, just looked at your "image1" on my computer, it was cut off on my phone. That "incorrect diagnostic session" message has to with the type of session you are in. When you "log in" to a module you can be a Diagnostic session (typical) or a Development session (atypical).

Some things can only be changed if you're in the correct session, with the correct security access code for that session. While OBD11 does let you change the session type easily, I would not recommend going into a development session unless you have a specific purpose and know exactly what you want to change. You can do some things in there that will cause lots of weirdness with your module(s), up through creating a problem that will require a dealer or remote session to fix.

I suspect OBD11 defaults to Diagnostic session. Probably 98% of what we would ever want to change can be done in a Diagnostic session anyway.

aegis

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
I suspect OBD11 defaults to Diagnostic session. Probably 98% of what we would ever want to change can be done in a Diagnostic session anyway.
Makes sense. I'm not sure how it corrected itself then.. as I didn't leave the page when I tried the second time. Regardless, it seems like the necessary lines you suggested above were ultimately 'accepted' so should be good.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion

Kushdaiin

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R, MK7 GSW SEL
You got me, although I kind of did a half-arsed job of it in these posts...

https://golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/cuzoes-2015-golf-tdi-s-journal.373961/post-7889122
https://golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/cuzoes-2015-golf-tdi-s-journal.373961/post-7819689

Still need to do a post with center console part numbers, and I guess another one with coding.
@Cuzoe Aside from swapping out/Coding the ABS module, what was the largest hassle? The wiring from the ABS to the button to the rear calipers seems like a bit of a job /pain, but manageable. Same with the center console.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
@Cuzoe Aside from swapping out/Coding the ABS module, what was the largest hassle? The wiring from the ABS to the button to the rear calipers seems like a bit of a job /pain, but manageable. Same with the center console.
On the TDI there's the DPF in the way so the ABS has to come out from the bottom, through the exhaust tunnel. I don't know, but assume you can pull the ABS module out from the top on a gasser. That was the largest hassle by far, having no access to a lift. Car up on jack stands high enough to be fully under it. Getting the car on stands is simple enough but I'm usually only up enough to get the wheels off. Had to go higher this time to access front and rear exhaust clamps. So that was annoying. Being I'm doing the work alone I didn't get a good bleed on the brakes. It's good enough that I've been driving around with a soft pedal, but it will be going to a shop for a good bleed. I have not the patience or desire.

Wiring was as is wiring always is, haha. One existing fuse gets replaced, from 20A to 40A. Although I forgot to buy the fuse and used the new ABS (and EPB) for the better part of a week without blowing the 20A.

Being the existing wiring is sized for the 20A fuse I intend to put the 20A back in. If it blows I'll replace that wiring run (engine fuse box > ABS module) with the correct gauge wire and then install the 40A fuse.

Kushdaiin

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R, MK7 GSW SEL
That mildly good to hear that the major pain was the DPF considering I won't have to worry about that. If I do need to replace the ABS, there does appear to be enough room to access it from the top. Working under the car, trying to reach up on jack stands is a nightmare. I'm in the same boat as you except I don't have a garage, which means I have to lug my equipment from my walkout basement to my garage (100ft+20 ft elevation up). Did you end up wiring from the ABS module to the switch/EPB through the driver's side firewall? I was able to identify the grommets in the rear wheel well when I was installing the direct TPMS antenna, so that part seems straight-forward. I appreciate the write-ups that you have. Thank you.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Yeah... at this point I really have to give lots of thought to doing anything that requires the car to be on jack stands. If I did not have the garage I suspect none of this would get done.

Yes I went though the driver's side firewall for the wiring into the engine bay. I did all the wiring over a year (maybe 2) ago when I was retrofitting ACC, parking sensors, DCC, etc. It's all just been sitting there waiting until I could be bothered to replace the ABS.

I went though the grommets that I'm sure you're referencing to get to the rear brakes. Pull the rear seat + side trim piece and the wheel liners on the outside, grommet is right there. Ran DCC wiring, external soundaktor, and direct TPMS antenna wiring (no new tires since that install so not in operation yet) through there.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Any pics of the coolerworx shifter installed?
Yes indeed, fresh pics this morning. This is with Raceseng Cylix shift knob. I didn't like the feel of the one that came with the shifter. Stock shift boot but will likely be "deleted" for this from CJM Industries.

And yes, I know there's an empty start/stop button hole, came with the NAR Golf R center console I bought for the EPB retrofit. I have the (correct for my car) center console piece without the spot for start/stop button. But as it turns out, KESSY is no longer impossible to retrofit (as there are now cars with KESSY and without the electronic steering wheel lock, which was the part that could not be adapted) so... we'll see what happens :unsure: :LOL:.

PXL_20230816_151257434.jpg

PXL_20230816_151305267.jpg

PXL_20230816_151310606.jpg