GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

disabling drl (daytime running lights) please help

VDUBB

Rally Car Newbie
I know how much it bugs you to have headlights on when it's bright as hell outside, it bugs me too. It's a waste of enegy I think. One positive note, the bulbs are under warranty.

davesee

FIA GT Champion
hmm, i drive all the time with my headlights on.. i like them. It's just habit for me to turn my headlights on everytime i start my car, sort of like the seatbelt.

i wish the vag-com were cheaper, id like to make a few mods

BMWDavid

Drag Racing Champion
I just located a shop that works on Euro/Jap cars. They have a VAG-COM and are willing to turn off my DRL's. I've copied the coding above and will drop in at the shop soon.

What's so funny is they are just 1 mile down the road from the VW dealer that sold me my GTI. Can't wait to drop in at the dealer sometime with my Euro switch installed and no DRL's!

David

seung

Oval Newbie
hmm...
i just noticed that my 3- day- old gti does not have drl...
seems like a lot of people want it off,
but i want it on-
and it kinda bugs the pants out of me that it is disabled out the dealer's door.

i assume you can turn it on with vag- com?
should i go to my dealer for this?
or should i find someone in my area who has vag-com?

bigdyno

FIA World Rally Car Newbie
If you really want an explination ask VW or your dealer to identify the specific part of the hiway traffic act that it contravines.
Here in Ontario we can purchase (for about a twenty) a copy of the HTA. It can be some droll reading, but it can also give you a leg up anytime there is question.

Eg: according to the HTA, it is illegal to cross a solid white line, but it says nothing about a solid yellow. If you were to cross one and get stopped they can't charge you with crossing the yellow line. Crossing the centerline, however, is another headache...

tydale3

Rally Car Champion
Are you sure you dont have DRL, If the parking brake is on they stay off. It is a law that manufacters have to install them, dont think its a law that you have to use them.

seung

Oval Newbie
tydale3 said:
Are you sure you dont have DRL, If the parking brake is on they stay off...

i am pretty sure...
i know that parking brake turns the drl off-
i actually just spent about 20 min. in my garage
experimenting and all trying to figure out what's wrong... :frown:

bbong73

Passed Driver's Ed
The Ross Tech VAG is more like $349 not $700.

Anyway it is only illegal in Canada to turn off the DRLs. In the US it's more of a safety thing and that is why VW refuses to turn them off.

By the way you can have them turned off and not need the euroswitch. It will work just fine. But if you get the euroswitch then it's a must to turn the DRL off because if not it will through a burnt bulb fault.

atomoverride

Ruler of Omicron Persei 8
loccusst said:
It isn't a Federal law. All cars would have to have them here in the states if it was. Each state is differant though...might be why all the cars come with them. Easier to just have them all have them here in NA instead of doing it at the dealerships. Not sure.
funny story, when I recieved my new car it didnt have the DRL's enabled. Later when I had the window up / down thing added even the application said it was already disabled. hmm thanks VW. BREAKING THE LAW BREAKING THE LAW!:headbang:

danger

Ready to race!
my DRl's also came from the dealer turned off. I almost went in to have them fix it, but then decided to hold off because maybe I don't want them. I'm sure if you go back there they can help you out.

My dealer is actually very nice to me - they offer free car washes any time I stop by, got me free touch-up paint, and seem to actually be good guys.

Unlike when I went to the honda dealership to testdrive an SI... bunch of dicks.

Mary and Phil

Passed Driver's Ed
You can do this with VagCom (http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/hex-usb+can.html)

Use the following coding:

Select 09 (Central Electronics)
Long Coding -> Function 07

Original Coding:
17078E234004180000140000001400000028770B5C

Working with byte 00:
17 = 00010111, drl off = 00000111 = hex 07

New coding:
07078E234004180000140000001400000028770B5C

do dealers have a vag-com? it's too much for me to buy. it's $600 to $100 for the software! O_O

Mary and Phil

Passed Driver's Ed
my DRl's also came from the dealer turned off. I almost went in to have them fix it, but then decided to hold off because maybe I don't want them. I'm sure if you go back there they can help you out.

My dealer is actually very nice to me - they offer free car washes any time I stop by, got me free touch-up paint, and seem to actually be good guys.

Unlike when I went to the honda dealership to testdrive an SI... bunch of dicks.

my dealer has free washes and 2 free details a year under warranty!

trick000

FIA World Rally Car Champion
The Ross Tech VAG is more like $349 not $700.

Anyway it is only illegal in Canada to turn off the DRLs. In the US it's more of a safety thing and that is why VW refuses to turn them off.

By the way you can have them turned off and not need the euroswitch. It will work just fine. But if you get the euroswitch then it's a must to turn the DRL off because if not it will through a burnt bulb fault.

Actually their microcan is even cheaper at $250.

Fuzzbear

Fat bastard
Car(s)
07 VW GTI

Wow.. you let the dealer wash your car?

I always go outta my way to tell them not to TOUCH it... swirl mark city.