GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Disappointed in amount of turbo lag in my 2020 GTI

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Not sure then. I wanted to play safe and listen to Ed. In the future if I decide to get a custom tune, I'll rebuy the pedal tuner.

Ed is a great tuner and arguably the best but he does have a few quirks or preferences I would say. I hadn't heard the one about the Pedal Tuner. A few others are disconnecting the rear 02 sensor and recommending the $160 NGK racing plugs. I extensively tested with and without the rear 02 sensor disconnected and connected and found zero difference.

Ghost GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'19 GTI SE DSG
Ed is a great tuner and arguably the best but he does have a few quirks or preferences I would say. I hadn't heard the one about the Pedal Tuner. A few others are disconnecting the rear 02 sensor and recommending the $160 NGK racing plugs. I extensively tested with and without the rear 02 sensor disconnected and connected and found zero difference.
Now I just regret selling mine, great 😭

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
The rear O2 only checks Cat efficiency - but I assume someone has done AFR logging to prove it doesn't cause an issue.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Sadly, this.

I used to drive manual transmission cars exclusively until I learned the joys of the DSG.

(please, let's NOT turn this into a DSG vs Manual thread. I'm just expounding on the post response and how it's all related to "lag").

There is a ton of flexibility in the DSG that can help counteract the shitty pedal response mapping if you take some time with it. Also, there is Sport response for the trans but it defaults to standard (D) upon restart. You always have to reselect it. There are many threads that say it makes no difference, but if you have VCDS you can see that it is similar to a pedal tuner in that it changes voltage. VAG dumbs down the pedal response for "safety" because like everything else, someone would blame the "touchy" pedal for a crash :rolleyes:. Same as why we have throttle cut with braking. DSG tunes take all of this into consideration and go a long way with curing these ills.
Preach. Like you said, not manual vs. DSG, but if you choose/have the DSG, you can alleviate a lot of drama by engaging with it.

norsairius

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE DSG
Ah yeah. I didn't mean for my replies here to trigger any sort of debate around DSG vs. manual. I've driven both see the pros/cons of each, but I don't see one as being superior to the other. Personal preference has a lot more to do with it these days if you ask me.

That said, I know a lot of my issues/concerns with the DSG can be resolved by using manual mode. I'm just trying things out more to see how I can work around it using only my right foot as I continue to familiarize myself with the car.

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
The rear O2 only checks Cat efficiency - but I assume someone has done AFR logging to prove it doesn't cause an issue.

With a P0420 code set (regardless if the check engine light is on in the dash), the car runs about 0.3 AFR points rich from what I've seen logging it. Not a huge amount by any stretch of the imagination, but it does run ever so slightly rich. Some sort of fuel adder logic in the background I guess. Which is why you generally unplug the rear O2 on stage 2 cars.