GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Discover Media

j3bnl

Assuming I have Discover Media, can this be carried out on my MK8....

Yes if you have an OBD11
You can also have the maps on both screens at the same time along with the R Dash display and GTI dash display amongst other things.

Attachments

• Golf Dash 5.jpg
    Golf Dash 5.jpg
    872.4 KB · Views: 75
  • Golf Dash 6.jpg
    Golf Dash 6.jpg
    835 KB · Views: 76
  • Golf Dash 7.jpg
    Golf Dash 7.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 77
Last edited:

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
I’m intrigued to know why owners feel it’s worthwhile to have sat nav maps displayed on the instrumentation display as well as the infotainment screen. The infotainment screen is positioned high up on the dashboard so should be easy for the driver to see, so are dual displays really that important?

Off topic, but another one that intrigues me is multiple colours for ambient lighting. I’ve seen forum members on other VAG forums asking if it’s possible to add more colours……… really? - makes me wonder how those people managed without ambient lighting before VAG’s marketing teams seemingly convinced them they couldn’t live without it and more (colours) is better 🤔.

TwoSheds

If you ever became bored with the various colours available I see my We Connect shop also offers me, wait for it , 'Dynamic Background Lighting' for the princely sum of GBP 35.

Massimo 2323

Drag Racing Champion
If you ever became bored with the various colours available I see my We Connect shop also offers me, wait for it , 'Dynamic Background Lighting' for the princely sum of GBP 35.
And anyone that wants to know what this buys you (from WeConnect Support):
“This extension of the basic ambient lighting include warnings or information for the driver are displayed via colour signals and ambient lighting. Functions can be visualised in colour, e.g:

- Staging locking/unlocking.
- Acceleration visualisation in sports mode.
- Visualisation of child safety lock and window regulator lock.
- Feedback open door while driving.
- Display of hazard warning flashing on ambient lights.

We would also like to inform you that the Ambient Lighting Effect (Additional Functions) has additional features e.g. showing the acceleration via the ambient light.”

Sythaera

And anyone that wants to know what this buys you (from WeConnect Support):
“This extension of the basic ambient lighting include warnings or information for the driver are displayed via colour signals and ambient lighting. Functions can be visualised in colour, e.g:

- Staging locking/unlocking.
- Acceleration visualisation in sports mode.
- Visualisation of child safety lock and window regulator lock.
- Feedback open door while driving.
- Display of hazard warning flashing on ambient lights.

We would also like to inform you that the Ambient Lighting Effect (Additional Functions) has additional features e.g. showing the acceleration via the ambient light.”
I had a trial for 30 days with that extension, can't say I noticed any difference what so ever?

Maturedriver

Go Kart Champion
Had my GTE 18 months now but have only just discovered that I can display the sat nav map on the dash. With the map on display on the infotainment screen tap the little round ‘button’ which has several parallel lines within it. A window then appears which offers an opportunity to display on dash. You can’t have the map on both screens though.

j3bnl

Had my GTE 18 months now but have only just discovered that I can display the sat nav map on the dash. With the map on display on the infotainment screen tap the little round ‘button’ which has several parallel lines within it. A window then appears which offers an opportunity to display on dash. You can’t have the map on both screens though.
You can if you have an OBD11.
I did it with my wifes R Line along with a few other things such as different dash displays.

Attachments

• Golf Dash 7.jpg
    Golf Dash 7.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 55

Maturedriver

Go Kart Champion
With ongoing software issues whilst under warranty changing things with a OBD11 would probably not be a good idea 🤔.

Maturedriver

Go Kart Champion
Sorry to hear that your infotainment screen doesn’t allow you to put the map on the dash. Very strange! Why would VW have different features on Discovery Media? Perhaps it might because the GT/R range has different dash displays. Which Golf model do you have?

Maturedriver

Go Kart Champion
Just took the following two photos regarding map on dash.

Attachments

• 4A09D5DA-7E67-4B02-A98B-EEB752A1DA70.jpeg
    4A09D5DA-7E67-4B02-A98B-EEB752A1DA70.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 62
  • 57237F32-86A8-432A-8355-8B115F4D6DB7.jpeg
    57237F32-86A8-432A-8355-8B115F4D6DB7.jpeg
    5.3 MB · Views: 55

j3bnl

Sorry to hear that your infotainment screen doesn’t allow you to put the map on the dash. Very strange! Why would VW have different features on Discovery Media? Perhaps it might because the GT/R range has different dash displays. Which Golf model do you have?
I don't think its anything to do with the GT/R having alternative dash displays as I have them all on my wifes R Line and the maps on both (via OBD11)
The fact is most of the stuff is in there its just not activated.
More likely another thing to differentiate between model specs.

j3bnl

With ongoing software issues whilst under warranty changing things with a OBD11 would probably not be a good idea 🤔.
They don't have a clue how to resolve their own software f@@k up let alone know I have made some changes with an app.
Wife's Golf was in for an oil sensor fault and they were none the wiser.

Maturedriver

Go Kart Champion
Ah well it is what it is, mine is Style 2ltr diesel specced as shown in the avatar, you're probably correct about different dash displays, also as far as I remember dealer told me a GTi they had as a demo didn't have the option and I have seen European and UK reviews of more basic models with the feature!
:unsure: BTW, in first photo, what is the Range switch for? don't have that either!
I haven’t touched that switch. Since my car is a PHEV it looks like I can turn off the electric range display. Not sure why anyone would want to do that. Next time I drive I will turn it off and hope it doesn’t “blow the bloody doors off”.