GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Do you guys keep the dsg in sport mode 24/7?

Ghost GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'19 GTI SE DSG
I mean, let's be realistic. The reason we don't hear much about warranty issues or stories at all with APR+ is because Stage 1 levels are super safe, thus why they even offer a warranty to begin with.

YamR1rider

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
That too. It’s like apr is assassinating people who request warranty work or something.

Lol.... I think it's primarily more a case of the plus tunes being pretty conservative and there aren't many problems - and the few thay occur are being taken care of.

Hollywood0220

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
German/Japanese
An APR+ tune is 87Oct and the timing is so drastically reduced that an engine shouldn’t have an issue with it. Besides, those are more “placebo” than anything one would ever notice.
Anyone considering a +Tune could opt for an IC instead and literally feel better power delivery and not worry about warranty.
$1100 + Install Fees + Tax for an APR+....= 100% dissatisfied.

YamR1rider

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
There's always somebody without a plus tune saying how shit it is. Well, my placebo has consistently dropped my quarter mile dragy time at least half a second vs stock even using 87 gas (13.67@105 is my best to date) . I very much doubt an IC upgrade alone would be worth that. And general drivability is much improved.

Yes there are much better tuning options out there, but it has its place and an extra 400 dollars over a regular APR tune for a 5 or 6 year replacement powertrain warranty really isn't that much.

It's Sam

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
X3 M40i
Wait. You just drive it in manual mode all day?

I do, most of the time that is. When I was running Cobb's DSG maps, I left it in manual because I didn't quite like the shift points and the way it hunted for gears in D. It wasn't bad, but not perfect for my area's roads.

I switched to EQT's DSG map and now D is much more comfortable. D behaves like I would, and S is genuinely a beast.

I generally prefer M simply because I enjoy the experience, but on the EQT tune I can comfortably leave it in D when I don't feel like taking full control.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
I do, most of the time that is. When I was running Cobb's DSG maps, I left it in manual because I didn't quite like the shift points and the way it hunted for gears
I couldn’t do it. It doesn’t feel satisfying to me.

I do like seeing an uphill on ramp and dropping a single gear using the left pedal. Just to get a little acceleration

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
S is too tame (lugs the engine and gets compressor surge sometimes) and D is never used in my 20GTI

Manual mode if I'm ever trying to push the car. S for highway and ACC situations.

I will get a DSG tune, but currently dont even have 1k miles yet. Waiting just a bit to make sure everything on the car is solid before DP IC DSG Tune...

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
S is too tame (lugs the engine and gets compressor surge sometimes) and D is never used in my 20GTI

I will get a DSG tune, but currently dont even have 1k miles yet. Waiting just a bit to make sure everything on the car is solid before DP IC DSG Tune...
So you just keep it on s mode during the whole drive?

It's Sam

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
X3 M40i
I couldn’t do it. It doesn’t feel satisfying to me.

And that's exactly the difference I noticed with a tune. My last MK7 had one of Cobb's maps on it before it got smashed. When I drove the new car home, the difference between a tuned DSG and a stock DSG is incredible. I figured the change would be placebo, but stock really is sluggish compared to tuned. It just feels more solid. Shifts, either in M or not, kind of "click" more, I don't know how to describe it.

And again, another factor is the power getting transferred through the transmission. The difference in DSG on a tuned car is going to be much more noticeable than stock.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
And that's exactly the difference I noticed with a tune. My last MK7 had one of Cobb's maps on it before it got smashed. When I drove the new car home, the difference between a tuned DSG and a stock DSG is incredible. I figured the change would be placebo, but stock really is sluggish compared to tuned. It just feels more solid. Shifts, either in M or not, kind of "click" more, I don't know how to describe it.

And again, another factor is the power getting transferred through the transmission. The difference in DSG on a tuned car is going to be much more noticeable than stock.
I drove a gti with a dsg tune. Transmission behavior is way more dynamic after the tune. It operates with a frantic sense of urgency. When I got back in my car it felt terrible LOL

Hollywood0220

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
German/Japanese
There's always somebody without a plus tune saying how shit it is. Well, my placebo has consistently dropped my quarter mile dragy time at least half a second vs stock even using 87 gas (13.67@105 is my best to date) . I very much doubt an IC upgrade alone would be worth that. And general drivability is much improved.

Yes there are much better tuning options out there, but it has its place and an extra 400 dollars over a regular APR tune for a 5 or 6 year replacement powertrain warranty really isn't that much.
Good stuff...
But, better tires and suspension probably nets you better 60’ times also.

YamR1rider

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Good stuff...
But, better tires and suspension probably nets you better 60’ times also.

Agree that my having a decent set of summer tires is also helping a lot, as is APRs enhanced launch control you get with the TCU tune. But nonetheless, the Plus isn't as lame duck as a lot of people perceive it to be. The power increase comes from the +6, 7 PSI they've upped the boost by while keeping the timing conservative due to the 87.