GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Door & speaker picks

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
Yeah....maybe undersized 8's. What size were yours? What model do you have?

jkaruzas

Autocross Champion
Stereo Brand?

What is the brand of speakers that VW puts in the MkV? It is a 10 speaker set-up, right? Also, has anyone heard of a component that I beleive is made by Kenwood that is simply added to a factory radio to give it the missing sound levels to make it sound like an aftermarket deck? I will be leasing an MkV this summer (can't hardly wait!!); Good quality sound is very important to me, but I don't want to put too much custom stuff in it if I will be giving it back in 3 years.

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
Couldn't tell by the backs o fthe speakers what brand they were. They have the VW logo on the back. Not sure if any component can help the factory radio since it has the soft clip built in to it.

snoopy

Touring Car Newbie
loccusst said:
Yeah....maybe undersized 8's. What size were yours? What model do you have?
Mines a 5 door but i have changed the front speakers in a customers 3door GTI to rainbow IQ 365.19 3ways.
The bit of scrap paper i think is the one i kept with the size/room of the mk5 says,
180mm (often refered to as a 7" or oversized 6.5")
55mm (2.16") depth of the standard speaker
The window guide runs behind the speaker as does the side impact bar so theres very limited mounting depth

The picture below is a Jetta but the golfs to me looked the same, (only pic i could find)

To answer the other guys question, the standard speakers are made by Philips in belgium and are 8 ohm.

snoopy

Touring Car Newbie
Oh and i forgot to add irrc
The standard midrange driver is
115mm (4.5") diameter.
40mm (1.57") mounting depth.

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
I know the midrange I pulled out was a 4 ohm and a 4" aftermarket easily fit in its place. I just don't like the idea of putting a 6 1/2" speaker right next to me when it should be forward for imaging. I added some subs to get the low end off of the factory speakers and added an amp to the front and center channel speaker I installed. Along with a new head unit. This helped with imaging.

snoopy

Touring Car Newbie
The Midrange and tweeters when i recheck my photos were Philips, made in ukraine and 4 ohm, but i can remember one of the 7" been 8ohm maybe it was just that car. Also maybe US spec is different to UK spec afterall you guys get a totally different headunit to us, and maybe Model year also makes a difference

As for the door depth heres a pic of whats behind were the bigger speaker is.

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
Nice pic Snoopy! You were right on the 7" not being 8" and it is 8 ohm here in the U.S. too. The other speakers are 4 ohm. I am still contimplating replacing the 7" but not sure what the hell to do....I have 6 1/2 Type R component set but I really do not want to put the 6 1/2 right next to me in the door.

snoopy

Touring Car Newbie
Nice to know the 7" is 8ohm you had me questioning if i had remembered correct lol as it was about 6 months ago i changed them lol.:laugh:

I hate VWs new door design on the golf platform :frown: :evil: :mad:

I had thought of making a full custom door panels myself but its the cost of buying replacments panels from VW to do this (as i want the stock ones come resale time).
Its a bit of work but nothing i have not done many times before but its mycar i want it too look like something VW might have done not an add on, Im sure you know what i meen. So i would have to strip them right back, convert the bottle holder of the pocket area into a speaker mount, reconstruct it, smooth it all off, etc, retrim the complete panel so it looked like something VW would have done maybe a bit like the look of the mk4s panel etc. The hard part of cause is getting an exact material match. Then of cause sorting breathing into the door out and reduce resonance of the doors and door panels, etc etc.

Geoff.

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
snoopy said:
So i would have to strip them right back, convert the bottle holder of the pocket area into a speaker mount, reconstruct it, smooth it all off, etc, retrim the complete panel so it looked like something VW would have done maybe a bit like the look of the mk4s panel etc. The hard part of cause is getting an exact material match. Then of cause sorting breathing into the door out and reduce resonance of the doors and door panels, etc etc.

Geoff.

That's all?? And I thought it was going to be hard....LOL. Yeah I know what you are talking about. I looked at the lower panel when I had the door off. It looks like you could mabey build something in that badly placed drink holder but I don't know. It looked like the lower panel might pop apart. Not sure.

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
The measurments to build anything for the 7" replacement and give you clearance for the door track is 7" wide by 2" depth. 2" is the distance from the top of the factory speaker to the metal door. Happy fabricating everyone!!!

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
That just doesn't look too good.