GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Door & speaker picks

GTI2lo

Passed Driver's Ed
I have Rainnows in my 95 GTI and they are out of this world, they sound awesome and are great for SQ, the silk tweeter also isn't too harsh as some ti ones would be. I think I am going take the existing set out and just add a 4" and hook them upto my Arc 4150 and call it a day!

etang789

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
MKV GTI
is just a replacing with aftermarket 4" 2-way component speaker and an amp, and disable the 7" stock sub good enough for front stage?
what about rear speakers what size are they?

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
If you replace with a good component 6 1/2" set and add a good 4" you will be fine with sound stage. By getting rid of the 7" and not replaceing it even with a 6 1/2" you will loose mids and lows up front...you rely on the 4" to do it all. Sounds horrible.

etang789

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
MKV GTI
3-way component choices?

Im thinking of these 2 set of speakers...i had good experience with CDT HD series so im thinking of their HD line 3-way.

HD-642
$540.00
6.5"/4" 3-Way
Cast 6.5" Mid woofer & 4" cast midrange
Xover: HD-30 Mid-E.Q. 4/5th order Elliptic 24dB.
Tweeter: DRT-25 extended range 1" silk tweeter Power
Power Handling: 230 watt RMS @ 100Hz High-Pass
Frequency Response: 60-20kHz
Sensitivity: 92.3 dB.
Impedance: 4Ohm
Surface & Flush mount tweeter

Attachments

• HD642_sm1_06.jpg
    HD642_sm1_06.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 901
Last edited:

etang789

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
MKV GTI
3-way component choices?

Here is my another choice...

DLS UP36
$550
Speaker type : 3-way system
Woofer size : 16,5 cm (6,5")
Midrange size : 63 mm (2,5")
Power handling capacity : 150 W RMS / 180 W max
Tweeter : 28 mm (1,1") tweeter
Sensitivity : 88 dB (1W/1m)
Magnet size woofer : 62 mm (2,44") Hybrid ferrit/neodymium
Magnet size midrange : 65 mm (2,56") neodymium
Outer diameter of woofer / midrange : 165 mm (6,5") / 100 mm (3,94")
Installation depth of woofer / midrange : 63 mm ( 2,48") / 25 mm (1")
Mounting hole of woofer / midrange : 140 mm (5,5") / 82 mm (3,23")
Crossover : Box filter with 12/6/6 dB slope

Attachments

• UP36_F.jpg
    UP36_F.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 1,213
Last edited:

AJW

Go Kart Newbie
AJW, I've found a place which sells the Rainbow 3 way system for our Golf in Sydney, they're called Precision Installations (http://www.precisioninstallations.com.au/). I was talking to the Australian distributor on another forum and I'll probably be going to check it out in the next couple weeks. I'll let you know how it goes as Im trying to get them to hook it up so that I can have a listen. The RRP for the 3 ways is $795 AUD.

Thanks Sublyme for checking that out - I think I've seen that shop down south before.
Really interested to see what you think.
I'm actually a Electronics Tech that works on Professional Audio & Video products for a living.
The last couple of cars I've keep the original head unit and spent most of the money replacing the speakers.
Made all my own spacers , wireing etc.
Kept the whole thing stock looking.
You can spend silly money on car audio for very little gain in quality, especially as it's such a flawed environment, then when you sell the car you never get the money back.
Fundimentally I'm into quality not quanity.
Keep me up to date on what you do, if you do buy them & have them installed I wouldn't mind having a listen.
I'm hopeing I should have my car by the end of this month and it's one of the first things I normally do when I buy a car - replace the speakers.

sublyme

Touring Car Champion
Not too sure whether I'll still proceed with the Rainbows since I picked up a set of the Premium series MB Quart splits for a cheap price (second hand). Just need to get the add-on-woofers to make it into a 3 way set. I've heard the Reference series of MB Quart which is the series lower than the Premium and they sounded very nice so Im pretty sure these will do the job just fine.

I think this question was asked before already, but what size are the rear splits?

Shovels

Touring Car Newbie
This may already have been posted but noticed that the US door speaker covers are different from my own(EU) - the US spec show the circular speaker outline yet I have sold square grills...I think the US door looks better.

snoopy

Touring Car Newbie
Must admit i had not noticed a difference if there is one,
you can see the round speaker look if you look close at the UK doors behind the square grills.

there maybe a slight difference between model year 2005 and 06 though as they changed the door pull handle and a couple of other things.