GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Drenched rear seat!!!

haidenG

So I just got the results of the water test.. there is a small air pressure regulator underneath your tail lights, underneath your bumper. At some point, someone either leaned on my car or something impacted it and caused this to become dislodged and create a gap where water enters freely.

This has resulted in everyone claiming I have had an impact with zero proof of impact. There is a small scratch and that's it. I am being stuck with a moldy car im paying on, and need to repair myself now. Fortunately only the bottom of my rear seat was ruined and moldy. The rest is terribly wet.

I am going to take the bumper off this summer and seal the pressure regulator with gasket sealer to ensure this doesn't happen anymore... but seriously f*ck VW for not helping me with this.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
So I just got the results of the water test.. there is a small air pressure regulator underneath your tail lights, underneath your bumper. At some point, someone either leaned on my car or something impacted it and caused this to become dislodged and create a gap where water enters freely.

This has resulted in everyone claiming I have had an impact with zero proof of impact. There is a small scratch and that's it. I am being stuck with a moldy car im paying on, and need to repair myself now. Fortunately only the bottom of my rear seat was ruined and moldy. The rest is terribly wet.

I am going to take the bumper off this summer and seal the pressure regulator with gasket sealer to ensure this doesn't happen anymore... but seriously f*ck VW for not helping me with this.

This sounds shitty OP... I would contact VWoA if you haven't yet. Would you mind posting pictures of the are you're talking about? I'm having a hard time visualizing it

robmarktoo

Ready to race!

How does something loose under your bumper cause the back seat to get wet? Sounds like the water would have to defy gravity?

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
How does something loose under your bumper cause the back seat to get wet? Sounds like the water would have to defy gravity?

Yeah I'm very confused by this as well

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
I actually just had this same issue. It didn’t get all the way to the back seat being wet but the spare tire area was soaked. I tried the small drain tube behind the logo; cracked but not the issue. I bought new seals for the taillight; not the issue. I noticed it was more wet on the left side than the right so I started tearing things apart on that side of the car. Trunk carpet out and left hand trim in the hatch removed. From there, I could tell that water was collecting in a small little pocket and then sloshing over into the hatch tirewell area. The only open into that area was the pressure vent; the item in question. It is pn: 7N0819465E
It pushes open from one way to equalize cabin pressure and has a seal around it to prevent water from entering. I replaced it and silicon sealed it in place to prevent further issue. That was at the end of 2018 and I haven’t had water issues since.

Here is where it’s at in the parts diagram:

Here is a picture with the rear bumper off; notice the rectangular vent:

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
I actually just had this same issue. It didn’t get all the way to the back seat being wet but the spare tire area was soaked. I tried the small drain tube behind the logo; cracked but not the issue. I bought new seals for the taillight; not the issue. I noticed it was more wet on the left side than the right so I started tearing things apart on that side of the car. Trunk carpet out and left hand trim in the hatch removed. From there, I could tell that water was collecting in a small little pocket and then sloshing over into the hatch tirewell area. The only open into that area was the pressure vent; the item in question. It is pn: 7N0819465E
It pushes open from one way to equalize cabin pressure and has a seal around it to prevent water from entering. I replaced it and silicon sealed it in place to prevent further issue. That was at the end of 2018 and I haven’t had water issues since.

Did you determine the failure mode of the vent? Had the frame cracked? Were the rubber flaps not closing?

It's amazing how much water even gets behind the bumper skin. I suppose water wicks through the tight gap where the bumper skin meets the body work and drips down.

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
Did you determine the failure mode of the vent? Had the frame cracked? Were the rubber flaps not closing?

It's amazing how much water even gets behind the bumper skin. I suppose water wicks through the tight gap where the bumper skin meets the body work and drips down.

I did not. Upon inspection, it looked found but it was the only possible part to be at fault apbased upon where water was collecting. The flaps must be pushed open from inside. This, to me, would prevent water from pushing from the outside to open them.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
I’ve not had this issue but think I may have to check it out just in case it starts small.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
Absolutely. Go check right now

Killbill, so happy to hear this solved your issue as well!

haidenG

Yeah VWoA wouldn't even send someone to inspect it cause the dealer (neutral party, not the one who sold me the car) is claiming the scratch on the bumper is the result of an impact.. to not waste everyone's time, that dealer didn't want to accrue more time in the shop, etc. that I would ultimately have to pay OOP for.. since VWoA trusts the dealers, they won't do anything. I ended up having to pay for the labor of the water test.

This is the "air vent", seen from the interior side, with the tail light removed, etc. There is a gap between that vent and the internal body of the car, causing water to come in from around the bumper.. as the new post from Basemodel mentions in more detail. Water pools up inside this "chamber" and then overflows into the spare tire well:
IMG_0732.jpeg

I'm assuming this has been happening at least since I bought the car... but likely before since the scratch / impact was there when I bought it.. roughly 1.5 yrs ago. Bottom of the seat damage:
IMG_0730.jpeg

I'm on east coast, so once it warms up, i'll fix the seal issue.. but definitely something to keep an eye out for anyone in rainy climates driving this car.

I asked the service tech, "if someone were to lean hard enough against this rear bumper, could they dislodge this air vent piece like this, without an impact ever happening?" He said "Yes, that is possible."..... WTF?

Last edited:

haidenG

Thank you so very much for posting this info, Bäsemödel. Extremely helpful.

Are you able to say an impact caused this? I am starting to think this issue has affected more of us than VW will admit.. and honestly feels like a factory issue. I have to imagine, hitting a bump hard enough could cause this airvent to become unseated or unsealed like we are seeing...

Here is where it’s at in the parts diagram:

Here is a picture with the rear bumper off; notice the rectangular vent:

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
i am not able to say what caused it. In fact, when i took the old part out, it looked just fine. The seal around it didnt look bad in any way. I may not have even needed to replace it. Adding the silicon could have done the trick. I didnt want to take the chance though; $40 is a small price to pay for piece of mind.

Impact is possible i suppose but it would have to be a substantial enough force to knock the opening the vent sits in out of square so that the gasket no longer seals. You would remember that kind of impact and you'd probably have other damage to show for it. Leaning against the car and having the vent pop out is as crazy as it sounds. There are several tabs around the vent that need to be pressed at the same time to free it and they are more than "lean-proof".

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
i am not able to say what caused it. In fact, when i took the old part out, it looked just fine. The seal around it didnt look bad in any way. I may not have even needed to replace it. Adding the silicon could have done the trick. I didnt want to take the chance though; $40 is a small price to pay for piece of mind.

Impact is possible i suppose but it would have to be a substantial enough force to knock the opening the vent sits in out of square so that the gasket no longer seals. You would remember that kind of impact and you'd probably have other damage to show for it. Leaning against the car and having the vent pop out is as crazy as it sounds. There are several tabs around the vent that need to be pressed at the same time to free it and they are more than "lean-proof".

It very well could have been fine, but in my experience so far with my GSW, I'm learning that VW's seals are often not thoroughly up to task. It's possible that even though the seal on the vent frame looked good, it wasn't sealing at all points. Not sure what the interface looks like from the inside, but if it's possible to put a bead of caulk around it from the back end without pulling the bumper skin, I'd do it.

The vents on the GSW are even larger... I should have inspected closely last time I had the bumper skin off. I really don't want to take it off again.

KevinMeehan

Car(s)
2015 Vw Golf
Hey guys, I am currently fighting this issue with my driver's side vent allowing water to leak. Do you have any tips Basemodel for when it comes time to replace this vent? will removing the rear bumper be enough? What specific sealant will I use? How is this vent removed? Any help and guidance will be much appreciated!

Striker23

Go Kart Newbie
I’m having a similar issue with my mk7. It doesn’t happen all the time so it’s been hard to pin down. I get water under my rear passenger seat and in the spare tire well. It’ll pool in both places. The weird things is that it’s kind of random. The other day it freaking poured and no water in either place. Then yesterday it rained and there was water in the Rear passenger seat Area but not in the boot. Other times the tire area is flooded but none on the seat. I think it depends on the angle the water is hitting the car but I’m at a loss. Hard to pin this down with it changing every time.