GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Drove a Tesla Model S today

legandrex

Ready to race!
A friend of mine recently purchased a Tesla Model S and I got a chance to take it for a spin today. It is the highest powered version too. Power delivery is amazing and performance is very impressive. Steering feel, ride quality and handling all felt very refined. Mega sized center screen is very nice. Noticed a few build quality issues you shouldn't see on a $100,000 car such as buffer marks on exterior and some condensation in one of the rear tail lights. Not my cup of tea, but still impressive in my book.

colslaw87

Ready to race!
Love the Model S. If I had $100k to spend on a DD to and from work as well as luxury cruiser around town ... this would be on the list. There are so many here in the Bay Area, I gawk less when they drive by.

(. )( .)

Go Kart Champion
I've driven a couple of them as well, the Hi-DEF rear view camera is dope. But seriously, it does feel kind of cheaply put together. I wouldn't fuck with it, rather buy something that I can take on road trips and not have to charge every hundredfifty miles.

Pryme

Ready to race!
Saw one cut across the freeway the other day it was going pretty fast but floated like a cloud. It was so distinctive in a large crowd of cars almost like its from the future.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
The best of the worst cars out there. :)

EV's are just stupid. But if you are going to make a stupid car, at least make one that is fun to drive for that little while before you get to sit and watch it charge....LOL

colslaw87

Ready to race!
I don't agree with EV's being stupid. The base model 60kW motor gets ~200mi on a charge. There's EV chargers all over the south bay ... and plenty at my office. If your really only driving around town and plug it in when you get to work, you'll never have to worry about running out of a charge. The Superchargers take about an hour to fully charge the 85kW battery ... by the time you stop somewhere, shop and eat ... your car is fully charged when you leave. It's honestly not a bad gig. Owners just have to be more aware of their energy usage because there aren't chargers every 2 blocks like gas stations. You'd have to treat it more like your cell phone than your current car that gets 2 weeks on a tank of gas.

My only gripe is the price. With a base price around $65,000 ... it's still too expensive for most consumers. The Nissan Leaf is at least semi-affordable, but it's ugly as sin and looks like a water buffalo.

Not sure how you deal with road trips though :iono:

legandrex

Ready to race!
Here in WI a Tesla is ultra rare so I am sure my friend will enjoy the exclusivity of it too. In a sea of rusty Pontiac Grand Am's, Chevy Impalas, and trucks it looks like it is from outer space.

We were driving with hi-def rear camera on...that is kind messes with you a little bit. Also really liked the Google maps actual image navigation instead of animated image. Audio system sounded pretty impressive too.

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
Buffer marks are dealers fault. They're too lazy/cheap to pay a quality detailer to polish/buffer a car. The condensation... no comment. Screen = definitely mega! How long does it last?

walker

Go Kart Newbie
One of my old high school friends works for Tesla. He got to drive the Roadster. 3.7s 0-60 and ~250miles on a charge. I wouldn't turn one down.

The funny part is my friend is 6'2 and the roof is barely up to his waist.

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
If you have the infrastructure to support it, why not....they are still not that practical in most area of the country...

BlueDubbinTDI

Go Kart Champion
I actually hate the screen. It's way too blocky and gaudy. Besides that I find everything else to be very impressive. I take 160 mile trips to Orlando a lot and thats the biggest commute Ide ever make at 1 time. Sounds perfect to me now I just need the money lol

Edit: no, I take that back. Ide get a GT-R instead

Last edited:

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
I've seen one on the highway a few times and very unimpressed with the exterior, disappointing, imho. The front looks like a Hyundai that someone added 47 LED lights to from Autozone, and the rear reminded me of a Ford Taurus or something..

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
I actually hate the screen. It's way too blocky and gaudy. Besides that I find everything else to be very impressive. I take 160 mile trips to Orlando a lot and thats the biggest commute Ide ever make at 1 time. Sounds perfect to me now I just need the money lol

Edit: no, I take that back. Ide get a GT-R instead

Ditto. Or a New NSX

legandrex

Ready to race!
There are definetly several details not worthy of a car costing that much money and I would prefer to drive about fifty different cars if I had that kind of coin, but still pretty cool.

BlueDubbinTDI

Go Kart Champion
Ditto. Or a New NSX
Tasty!

Base price of $130,000 though