GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG and 6spd Manual (living in harmony)

kirk180

Go Kart Champion
Freek said:
im not seeing a trend :wink:
I'm not seeing a trend either. Except it seems that possibly some of the younger kids (16, 17, 18, and a couple a few years older) have only had auto's and perhaps can't drive a stick. Therefore opting for the DSG. Then your older (mid 30's and up) have the DSG also. They've done manual before and are just outgrowinig it. But then again there's a few mid 20's that can probably drive a stick that still got the DSG. But I'd be willing to bet that a handful opted for the DSG because they couldn't drive a stick. So perhaps some of the "Pro" DSG people say what they do because they don't know how to drive a 6 spd manual.:iono:
But you're right, the numbers are scattered everywhere.

ConnerrySER04

East Coast transplant
Car(s)
MKVGTI
36....6spd.

former cars:
1984 VW GTI MK1
1991 Honda Civic Si: 5 spd.
1995 Honda Civic EX Coupe: 5 spd.
1995 Honda Civic Del Sol Si: 5spd.
2001 Nissan Sentra SE: 5spd.
2004 Nissan SE-R Spec-V: 6spd.

cmdrfire

FIA World Rally Car Champion
21 and DSG (though both my previous cars were proper manuals...)

23 6spd (but waiting til i get back to the states and for the 5 door)

so who drives dsg because they cant or are not good at manual???

laserjock

Autocross Newbie
30 - 6spMT

First "new" car I've bought with a MT... haven't driven a stick as a daily driver in 10+ years... I'm beginning to wonder... what was I thinking????

kirk180

Go Kart Champion
laserjock said:
30 - 6spMT

First "new" car I've bought with a MT... haven't driven a stick as a daily driver in 10+ years... I'm beginning to wonder... what was I thinking????
It's called waking up:thumbsup:

dwl137

Touring Car Champion
99 Subaru Impreza RS - 5sp Manual
06 VW GTI (On it's way, take delivery next week) - DSG

I'm 22. Bought the DSG more for the daily commute to work while still having the ability to pick my gears.

bilbos

On the Kop
GTi Fanatic said:
23 6spd (but waiting til i get back to the states and for the 5 door)

so who drives dsg because they cant or are not good at manual???

All of my previous cars in the UK were manual. I went for the DSG because traffic in the US seems to be stop-start all the time and I am sure I would get tired of working that clutch pedal.

Vivid

Formula 5000 Driver
32 6spd

I can see no real trend... I thought the younger guys would be opting more for the DSG but it does not seem to be that way