GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG and Launch Control - anyone tried it??

.:KindiGTI

Go Kart Champion

DW58

Go Kart Champion
Anybody specific?

Nope, just a generalisation.

Using launch control in any car is an expensive pastime in terms of clutch wear etc.

Go Kart Champion
Nope, just a generalisation.

Using launch control in any car is an expensive pastime in terms of clutch wear etc.

Agreed, that's why using launch control in the nissan GTR for a certain amount of times will actually void it's warranty lol

but i used LC on my mk5 GTI i would say once every 3 months or so, mostly if a person rides the car for the first time and asks about it :) gearbox had no issues after 7 years... new owner also hasn't replaced the gearbox, it's in its 8th year now.

gtiw7

Ready to race!
a friend of mine have done at least 50 launch controls in less than a month!
btw his mk6 ain't stock (stock DSG though)

it is safe to say he did 6 launchs in less than an hour; just for the sake of recording a video.... guess what? no issues at all. gearbox was designed to do LC ;) if you ever face issues it's because you're not lucky, don't blame DSG & LC :)

but I still have that feeling that prevents me from doing it on every stop light LOL :eek: so most of the times I don't use it unless there's a seriously fast car next to me on that stop light :p

DW58

Go Kart Champion
According to the guys on Top gear, using LC on the likes of Ferrari or Lambo will burn out the clutch in three attempts - Not sure if that's correct or not but it's a feckin expensive exercise if it is.

To be honest, why fit it if it's so controversial?

le0n1

Ready to race!
It did'nt work on my 1.4 TSi ACT for some reason. Is it supose to, or does it only work in the GTI and GTI?

Go Kart Champion
I am 99% sure it's only for the GTI and GTI, R and R :D

DW58

Go Kart Champion
Makes sense - even so I'm not sure I can see the viability of it especially if it's use is so detrimental to the car. Even in my positively pedestrian Golf Mk7 (it's not really), the initial take-off in sport mode is pretty damned impressive and can easily cause the front wheels to spin especially on areas like junctions and the entry to roundabouts.

Last edited:

Go Kart Champion
It's for when you race..... Legally :D

DW58

Go Kart Champion
Perhaps, but that's not always how it's used is it? :(