GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

E-mailed Carbonio about MK5 Intake....PICS

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
That's not a CAI......It's a not so short ram air intake.

MKV

Passed Driver's Ed
cold air intakes go down into the front bumper/fender area. totally away from the engine.

MKV

Passed Driver's Ed
that shouldn't matter. the filter should be down infront of the wheel in the bumper/fender. i have the AEM cold air and i'm pretty sure this goes for all cold air intakes, but the filter should be all the way down into the bumper. the intake would be away from the engine pulling cold air into the intake manifold rather then warm/hot air from the engine compartment.

that picture shows the filter right next to the engine. short ram intake.

dmclone

Oval Champion
I had an AEM-CAI on my old Civic Si and it was way down low in the fender. After looking under the hood of the GTI, I don't think a true cold air intake is possible with the limited amount of space. If they have a heat shield it should help though.

baubaulu

Ready to race!
MKV said:
that shouldn't matter. the filter should be down infront of the wheel in the bumper/fender. i have the AEM cold air and i'm pretty sure this goes for all cold air intakes, but the filter should be all the way down into the bumper. the intake would be away from the engine pulling cold air into the intake manifold rather then warm/hot air from the engine compartment.

that picture shows the filter right next to the engine. short ram intake.

do mu have photos about your intake? What do you think of the following intakes? If the filter is down infront of the wheel, how can i replace it when it is dirty?

Tay2610

Autocross Newbie
I guarentee that if you dyno a carbino or filter for that matter vs. a cai that you will understand what i am saying. Of course most of my experience is with na not turbo.

Last edited:

Newcastle

Drag Racing Champion
I understand what you mean. I have the same thoughts on CAI's vs. the Carbonio design on this car or a high flow filter.

Many CAI's increase high RPM HP at the expense of low RPM driveability. The increase should be broad along the entire RPM range.

Perhaps I didn't explain my POV well enough earlier in this thread, but then, I am not a writer by any stretch.

Tay2610

Autocross Newbie
^I understood your point of view which i believe is correct, my comments are not geared toward you but mainly these others who believe that an aluminum tube with a cone filter is the best way to go. Im new to the turbo scene (vw as well), but i would think that your biggest gains are going to be seen on the exhaust end. My advice would be to save money on an intake (that wont net you more than 1-2 horses over a filter), and concentrate on a good turbo/cat-back exhaust or stickier rubber. Alot of people get stuck in bolt-on mods, and dont relise that good rubber is one of the best performance enhancements out there. If i were to concentrate on tuning a gti right now it would look something like this: High performance tires and wheels, suspension tuning, brake pads/lines/fluids, filter and exhaust, and then chipped/tuned. If you concentrate on specific areas of need for your car by doing solid research you have no were to go but up. You need to understand that the tuning buisness is a huge money market these days and some companies will sway you only to get your buisness. I recommend common sense and authentic dyno proof.

Last edited:

baubaulu

Ready to race!
Tay2610 said:
^I understood your point of view which i believe is correct, my comments are not geared toward you but mainly these others who believe that an aluminum tube with a cone filter is the best way to go. Im new to the turbo scene (vw as well), but i would think that your biggest gains are going to be seen on the exhaust end. My advice would be to save money on an intake (that wont net you more than 1-2 horses over a filter), and concentrate on a good turbo/cat-back exhaust or stickier rubber. Alot of people get stuck in bolt-on mods, and dont relise that good rubber is one of the best performance enhancements out there. If i were to concentrate on tuning a gti right now it would look something like this: High performance tires and wheels, suspension tuning, brake pads/lines/fluids, filter and exhaust, and then chipped/tuned. If you concentrate on specific areas of need for your car by doing solid research you have no were to go but up. You need to understand that the tuning buisness is a huge money market these days and some companies will sway you only to get your buisness. I recommend common sense and authentic dyno proof.

Thank you for your advice! Your are right! Actually i am also new to the turbo scence. My car is still new, I dont want to thorw the new exhaust system away. And that is why i have been looking something easily to modify. Do you have any suggestion?

vdubGTi

Oval Newbie
loccusst said:
I think the big argument on this carbonio is that it is meerly a larger inlet and nothing else. You still have the restrictive factory airbox. I think the best would be a true CAI for this car. If the Carbonio also replaced the ribbed tubes and air box it would be a great item. Unless......does the Carbonio pipe actually go down below the bumper? Hard to tell.

Loccusst, the filter is about 2 inches of the end of the front bumper near the left wheel so it is very low. You can touch it by just bending down a little.

vdubGTi

Oval Newbie
I just want to say that when you combine the exhaust+chip+intake you get more power than if you would have one or two of them. For example, a turbo-back alone might give you 20HP, a chip lets say 40HP. If you would have a complete CAI that might add another 5HP, the total will increase at about 75HP (if you would add those three seperately it would be 65HP but with the combination of the three you get another 10HP). So the intake itself won't give you many gains but when combined you would get an additional 10 or so HP. So it if an intake would cost $300 it would be worth to see another 10-15HP with the combination.

Tay2610

Autocross Newbie
baubaulu said:
Thank you for your advice! Your are right! Actually i am also new to the turbo scence. My car is still new, I dont want to thorw the new exhaust system away. And that is why i have been looking something easily to modify. Do you have any suggestion?
Well i would say that the stock engine is very capable as is. I really think that if there is any area to improve on the gti it would be traction/suspension. I would think that being a front wheel drive turbocharged vehicle the car's performance would increase drasticly with good rubber. That is the flaw of a front drive vehicle..no? Comming from a honda background ive dealt primarly with fwd platforms. The fact is alot of people neglect there tires. They dont want to be at les schwab all the time getting new tires, and there is a reason. Tires are expensive epecially when dealing with high performance rubber and brands, but if i could only budget one upgrade it would be the stickiest tread available. I dont have alot of experiance with the gti summer tires, but im guessing there are better tires out there.:burnrubber:

vdubGTi

Oval Newbie
Tay2610 said:
Well i would say that the stock engine is very capable as is. I really think that if there is any area to improve on the gti it would be traction/suspension. I would think that being a front wheel drive turbocharged vehicle the car's performance would increase drasticly with good rubber. That is the flaw of a front drive vehicle..no? Comming from a honda background ive dealt primarly with fwd platforms. The fact is alot of people neglect there tires. They dont want to be at les schwab all the time getting new tires, and there is a reason. Tires are expensive epecially when dealing with high performance rubber and brands, but if i could only budget one upgrade it would be the stickiest tread available. I dont have alot of experiance with the gti summer tires, but im guessing there are better tires out there.:burnrubber:

Tay2610, VW tuners have the best solution for the stock or the extra power. Unlike many other front wheel drives, the aftermarket motor mounts a.k.a DAWGBONES reduce a lot of the wheel spin off the line and also give you better steering (the little fishtailing is almost eliminated) So, replacing those which I believe cost about $150 the traction from the extra power is reduced to almost stock driveability. That would probably save you a lot of money on tires.
If you are talking about turning off the ASR/ESP thats another story.lol.