GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

:: ECS Tuning :: VW MK6 ECS Catch Can System - New Item !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ECS Tuning

Go Kart Champion

Click HERE to order or for more information.

VW MK6 GTI ECS Catch Can System -

An unfortunate consequence of the modern closed PCV/Breather system is the unintended ingestion of oil vapor and carbon into the intake tract, lowering the octane rating and leaving harmful deposits on a vehicle's intake valves and ports that result in decreased power.

Engineered in-house and manufactured here in the USA, the ECS Baffled Oil Catch Can utilizes a highly efficient 4-chamber oil separator, decreasing oil ingestion and maintaining engine power output.

The innovative design also catches as much blow-by gas as possible, bringing carbon buildup to an absolute minimum.

For our install PDF please click - Here

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
**EDITED**

ECS, I just received and installed this ECS Tuning TSI Catch Can Kit for my 3rd and latest catch can setup. I would like to provide my initial feedback and request revised/updated parts for my kit and for all future kits. I am looking at reviewing this catch can as I've reviewed the Forge and 034 Catch Can Kits, but I believe there need to be a few changes to perfect the kit.

-This kit needs to include a printed version of the instructions, my ECS box had individual parts in individual bags and I had to refer to your product page for online instructions.

-The PCV cap retaining clips break SUPER easily. I highly recommend including an extra PCV cap retaining clip as a backup. I know the kit comes with the PCV cap and retaining clip for the PCV plate then another set for the intake manifold but I had to use the 2nd supplied retaining clip for the PCV cap after breaking the first one, luckily I have a boost tap in place already and didn't need the 2nd supplied retaining clip for the PCV cap for the PCV plate.

-Catch can o-ring, include a second one. You know people are going to chop it up when they try to assemble the catch can in the bracket holder. Give us an extra one to be safe or for future use when we clean and rebuild the catch can each year.

-For the curved end of the catch can return line, this curved AN fitting angle works for all intakes which follow the OEM angle/rotation/orientation/direction of the breather tube connection. For big turbo kits such as the APR Stage 3, CTS Turbo, Pag Parts EFR, other larger silicone intakes or even the 3" Unitronic intake, the provisions for these connections are at a slightly different angle or orientation. That coupled with the fact that the silicone "stage 2 intake pipe" on big turbo kits are typically larger in diameter than 2.5"-3", the catch can return line MUST be longer than what is currently supplied to allow for this extra size. I was unable to route the catch can return line behind the intake pipe per step 25 in the instructions. I had to rotate the AN fitting and run it in front of the intake pipe in order to reach the catch can connection. This also prevents me from using both of the supplied AN line brackets. I would really like ECS to provide a longer line here for my current kit and for their future kits, extend by maybe 3". This would cover all intake sizes and configurations with a little but of slack without it being too much where it the line would droop down and have pooled blow-by from a low point in the line. At this point it bothers me that I can't run both lines behind the intake because my silicone intake pipe is a little larger in diameter.

-As per step 29, I ran the feed line from the catch can underneath the coolant lines, fuel lines, and catch can return line, then around the back of the intake pipe to the PCV valve adapter but again, the silicone "stage 2 intake pipe" on big turbo kits are typically larger in diameter than 2.5"-3", the catch can return line MUST be longer than what is currently supplied to allow for this extra size. I would really like ECS to provide a longer line here for my current kit and for their future kits, extend by maybe 2". This would cover all intake sizes and configurations with a little but of slack without it being too much where it the line would droop down and have pooled blow-by from a low point in the line.

-Why the -10 AN spacer for the feed line connection at the catch can? To extend the length? Just make the feed line longer as recommended above. Less parts, less connections, less cost, less chance for vacuum leaks. Again, if you extend this line by about 2" it would be a straight connection without the need for adding another o-ring connection.

-Branding, this drives me absolutely insane. We know where the final catch can orientation will be after both AN lines are connected and we tighten the bottom can to the top of the can in the holder/bracket. Why is "ECS Tuning" upside-down? Flip the logo 180 degrees so when we are standing at the front of the car and looking into the engine bay we can actually read "ECS Tuning". Other companies like 034 have their logo engraved in their catch can in the correct orientation so we can read it and so it advertises the company the catch can is from. Personally, I setup my engine bay to avoid any branding, you may actually sell more of these kits if you didn't have ECS Tuning on the catch can. as people want a cleaner, more OEM look. A white logo stands out too much. I would leave the can blank and include an ECS Tuning decal or stickers so it's up to the customer if they want to add the logo, we all know it's the ECS Tuning Catch Can Kit either way. I would really like ECS to provide new top half of the catch can without a logo and include a decal or if that's not an option, have the logo correctly laid out so it can be read from standing in front of the car. This is the one area where the branding matters as it's the only place we can read the "ECS Tuning" visually, it looks absolutely terrible at this point.

-Overall, the ECS TSI Catch Can Kit looks like it may be the best option yet. While many of these catch cans eliminate the breather tube from the OEM PCV to the manifold and the OEM PCV "Africa" plate, I still don't believe their aftermarket catch can check valves or filtration is as good as the OEM PCV. The OEM PCV typically craps out because the check valve is subjected to higher boost levels once tuned causing it to fail prematurely. The ECS TSI Catch Can blocks the front port to eliminate boost and filters blow-by crankcase pressure after the OEM PCV does it's job (whatever that represents). The ECS TSI Catch Can baffles (waffle plates) filter the blow-by crankcase pressure vertically and then horizontally on the inlet of the catch can. I believe this will also lead to less frozen catch cans in the winter since the typical cylindrical baffle in aftermarket catch cans run to the bottom of most cans allowing partial to full blockage. Time will tell but I think filtering pre-turbo inlet is a better design.

At the end of the day I really would like both lines longer, an extra PCV cap retaining clips since I broke my first one very easily and a proper catch can top where "ECS Tuning" is not upside-down. Can we work to get these revised/updated parts ECS?

Last edited:

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
[/URL]

Logo is upside-down.

CarniifeX

Go Kart Champion
Great review. I just ordered mine the other day.

I'm getting the can painted after seeing how the logo looks. Here's what Candy White looks like:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sticksabuser

Ready to race!
Sounds like pretty good feedback!

Speeddemon691

Go Kart Champion
Hmm so it's not HYDE16 approved that means I'll wait for ecs to get the CC out of its beta stage. [emoji1303][emoji1303]

Speeddemon691

Go Kart Champion
It's semi approved but with the taught lines and various other items, it's not a perfected solution. I don't want this to come off the wrong way but at this point, if MK5/MK6 TSI catch cans are coming to market they need to be perfect.

Yeah and especially at the price point they sell this things for they should be solid and perfect! They should use something else except those clip things to secure the boost tap etc.

I would also like a sticker to apply to the catch can instead of the can with it already with the logo one it, that way if i want to have a can and not put on their logo I don't have to.

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
Yeah and especially at the price point they sell this things for they should be solid and perfect! They should use something else except those clip things to secure the boost tap etc.

I would also like a sticker to apply to the catch can instead of the can with it already with the logo one it, that way if i want to have a can and not put on their logo I don't have to.

Agreed, I really want the catch can without a logo.

CarniifeX

Go Kart Champion
I took a wire wheel to their anti rattle clips and sanded it down after. I assume you could do the same and then just paint the can with some high-temp caliper paint.

ECS Tuning

Go Kart Champion
HYDE16 -

**EDITED**

ECS, I just received and installed this ECS Tuning TSI Catch Can Kit for my 3rd and latest catch can setup. I would like to provide my initial feedback and request revised/updated parts for my kit and for all future kits. I am looking at reviewing this catch can as I've reviewed the Forge and 034 Catch Can Kits, but I believe there need to be a few changes to perfect the kit.

-This kit needs to include a printed version of the instructions, my ECS box had individual parts in individual bags and I had to refer to your product page for online instructions.

- This is SOP for all of our products.

-The PCV cap retaining clips break SUPER easily. I highly recommend including an extra PCV cap retaining clip as a backup. I know the kit comes with the PCV cap and retaining clip for the PCV plate then another set for the intake manifold but I had to use the 2nd supplied retaining clip for the PCV cap after breaking the first one, luckily I have a boost tap in place already and didn't need the 2nd supplied retaining clip for the PCV cap for the PCV plate.

- If the clips are allowed to twist during installation, breakage can be an issue. When they are kept straight during installation, they hold up quite well. Both our test mule and our shop car are still on the original clips that we used during initial installation.

-Catch can o-ring, include a second one. You know people are going to chop it up when they try to assemble the catch can in the bracket holder. Give us an extra one to be safe or for future use when we clean and rebuild the catch can each year.

- The current o-ring is to be installed after inserting the lid through the bracket, as listed in our instructions. This should avoid concerns regarding damage to the o-ring. Replacement o-rings are stocked in our warehouse and are available for purchase should yours get damaged. We have only had a few customer requests for this component, so they seem to be holding up very well.

-For the curved end of the catch can return line, this curved AN fitting angle works for all intakes which follow the OEM angle/rotation/orientation/direction of the breather tube connection. For big turbo kits such as the APR Stage 3, CTS Turbo, Pag Parts EFR, other larger silicone intakes or even the 3" Unitronic intake, the provisions for these connections are at a slightly different angle or orientation. That coupled with the fact that the silicone "stage 2 intake pipe" on big turbo kits are typically larger in diameter than 2.5"-3", the catch can return line MUST be longer than what is currently supplied to allow for this extra size. I was unable to route the catch can return line behind the intake pipe per step 25 in the instructions. I had to rotate the AN fitting and run it in front of the intake pipe in order to reach the catch can connection. This also prevents me from using both of the supplied AN line brackets. I would really like ECS to provide a longer line here for my current kit and for their future kits, extend by maybe 3". This would cover all intake sizes and configurations with a little but of slack without it being too much where it the line would droop down and have pooled blow-by from a low point in the line. At this point it bothers me that I can't run both lines behind the intake because my silicone intake pipe is a little larger in diameter.

-As per step 29, I ran the feed line from the catch can underneath the coolant lines, fuel lines, and catch can return line, then around the back of the intake pipe to the PCV valve adapter but again, the silicone "stage 2 intake pipe" on big turbo kits are typically larger in diameter than 2.5"-3", the catch can return line MUST be longer than what is currently supplied to allow for this extra size. I would really like ECS to provide a longer line here for my current kit and for their future kits, extend by maybe 2".This would cover all intake sizes and configurations with a little but of slack without it being too much where it the line would droop down and have pooled blow-by from a low point in the line.

- Unless otherwise listed, all of our kits are designed to work with stock and our in house designed components. We have fine-tuned the line length to ensure no line sagging on stock and ECS intakes. In the creation of our catch can kits, we pay special attention to line length and orientation, and do our best to ensure that low spots that could lead to pooling of fluid are minimized or eliminated altogether. Additional length would cause the return line to sag on intakes with stock PCV return location/orientation, the additional weight and looser line fitment would cause that o-ring connection to allow rotation. Luckily, the end fittings that are used to create the lines are reusable, and the AN hose is commonly available -10 AN hose that can be purchased to create custom line lengths when necessary.

-Why the -10 AN spacer for the feed line connection at the catch can? To extend the length? Just make the feed line longer as recommended above. Less parts, less connections, less cost, less chance for vacuum leaks. Again, if you extend this line by about 2" it would be a straight connection without the need for adding another o-ring connection.

- The 45 degree fittings contact one another in the orientation used on this kit. The spacer not only prevents contact, but it makes installation/removal of the lines considerably easier. The fittings we use are designed for much higher pressure/vacuum situations that they will likely ever see in this application (without some sort of major engine failure), so an additional o-ring connection is of very little concern. If you keep the spacer attached to the AN fitting, that o-ring should only ever have to be loaded once, and there is then little to no concern about abrasion or damage that could lead to leaks.

-Branding, this drives me absolutely insane. We know where the final catch can orientation will be after both AN lines are connected and we tighten the bottom can to the top of the can in the holder/bracket. Why is "ECS Tuning" upside-down? Flip the logo 180 degrees so when we are standing at the front of the car and looking into the engine bay we can actually read "ECS Tuning". Other companies like 034 have their logo engraved in their catch can in the correct orientation so we can read it and so it advertises the company the catch can is from. Personally, I setup my engine bay to avoid any branding, you may actually sell more of these kits if you didn't have ECS Tuning on the catch can. as people want a cleaner, more OEM look. A white logo stands out too much. I would leave the can blank and include an ECS Tuning decal or stickers so it's up to the customer if they want to add the logo, we all know it's the ECS Tuning Catch Can Kit either way. I would really like ECS to provide new top half of the catch can without a logo and include a decal or if that's not an option, have the logo correctly laid out so it can be read from standing in front of the car. This is the one area where the branding matters as it's the only place we can read the "ECS Tuning" visually, it looks absolutely terrible at this point.

- We use the same catch can in all of our kits, with the exception that we may change the internal baffle orientation to allow inlet/outlet swapping to optimize line length and orientation. This allows us to keep costs down for our kits, and offer a lower price point to our customers as a result. We do not have any plans at this time to offer our catch can without a logo.

-Overall, the ECS TSI Catch Can Kit looks like it may be the best option yet. While many of these catch cans eliminate the breather tube from the OEM PCV to the manifold and the OEM PCV "Africa" plate, I still don't believe their aftermarket catch can check valves or filtration is as good as the OEM PCV. The OEM PCV typically craps out because the check valve is subjected to higher boost levels once tuned causing it to fail prematurely. The ECS TSI Catch Can blocks the front port to eliminate boost and filters blow-by crankcase pressure after the OEM PCV does it's job (whatever that represents). The ECS TSI Catch Can baffles (waffle plates) filter the blow-by crankcase pressure vertically and then horizontally on the inlet of the catch can. I believe this will also lead to less frozen catch cans in the winter since the typical cylindrical baffle in aftermarket catch cans run to the bottom of most cans allowing partial to full blockage. Time will tell but I think filtering pre-turbo inlet is a better design.

- We agree that the best strategy is to complement the OEM PCV system rather than remove it entirely. The stock PCV system on your TSI is mostly very stout, and the multi-stage oil separation is a fantastic system, likely created after thousands of hours of R&D at VW. Our design eliminates the failure prone OEM PCV components, without removing the impressive OEM oil separation system.

At the end of the day I really would like both lines longer, an extra PCV cap retaining clips since I broke my first one very easily and a proper catch can top where "ECS Tuning" is not upside-down. Can we work to get these revised/updated parts ECS?

Thanks for the feedback!

Great review. I just ordered mine the other day.

I'm getting the can painted after seeing how the logo looks. Here's what Candy White looks like:

Rad!

Andy

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
”- Unless otherwise listed, all of our kits are designed to work with stock and our in house designed components. We have fine-tuned the line length to ensure no line sagging on stock and ECS intakes. In the creation of our catch can kits, we pay special attention to line length and orientation, and do our best to ensure that low spots that could lead to pooling of fluid are minimized or eliminated altogether. Additional length would cause the return line to sag on intakes with stock PCV return location/orientation, the additional weight and looser line fitment would cause that o-ring connection to allow rotation. Luckily, the end fittings that are used to create the lines are reusable, and the AN hose is commonly available -10 AN hose that can be purchased to create custom line lengths when necessary.”

So at the end of the day this kit will not allow us to route the return line behind the intake for big turbo setups with larger silicone inlet pipes. For big turbo users, can we order longer lines from ECS or request this at the time of ordering? Currently, my return line is sagging under the hard coolant lines as I had to route it in front of the intake pipe to make the connection since it was not long enough. Can I order a longer/custom line for this location from ECS?

“- We use the same catch can in all of our kits, with the exception that we may change the internal baffle orientation to allow inlet/outlet swapping to optimize line length and orientation. This allows us to keep costs down for our kits, and offer a lower price point to our customers as a result. We do not have any plans at this time to offer our catch can without a logo.”

Andy, this didn’t answer my concern. The logo is the wrong way and looks bad in a GTI setup, I’m not the only one who agrees. I understand you use the same can for different cars or setups but can I get a blank top half of the can so I don’t have to have an upside down logo when I submit my car to European Car and Performance VW for round 2 articles?

Last edited:

ECS Tuning

Go Kart Champion
”- Unless otherwise listed, all of our kits are designed to work with stock and our in house designed components. We have fine-tuned the line length to ensure no line sagging on stock and ECS intakes. In the creation of our catch can kits, we pay special attention to line length and orientation, and do our best to ensure that low spots that could lead to pooling of fluid are minimized or eliminated altogether. Additional length would cause the return line to sag on intakes with stock PCV return location/orientation, the additional weight and looser line fitment would cause that o-ring connection to allow rotation. Luckily, the end fittings that are used to create the lines are reusable, and the AN hose is commonly available -10 AN hose that can be purchased to create custom line lengths when necessary.”

So at the end of the day this kit will not allow us to route the return line behind the intake for big turbo setups with larger silicone inlet pipes. For big turbo users, can we order longer lines from ECS or request this at the time of ordering? Currently, my return line is sagging under the hard coolant lines as I had to route it in front of the intake pipe to make the connection since it was not long enough. Can I order a longer/custom line for this location from ECS?

“- We use the same catch can in all of our kits, with the exception that we may change the internal baffle orientation to allow inlet/outlet swapping to optimize line length and orientation. This allows us to keep costs down for our kits, and offer a lower price point to our customers as a result. We do not have any plans at this time to offer our catch can without a logo.”

Andy, this didn’t answer my concern. The logo is the wrong way and looks bad in a GTI setup, I’m not the only one who agrees. I understand you use the same can for different cars or setups but can I get a blank top half of the can so I don’t have to have an upside down logo when I submit my car to European Car and Performance VW for round 2 articles?

PM sent.

Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.