GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

"EPA Fines Tuning Company $300,000"

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
I don't think it would affect companies that make tuners for gasoline engines, since the tunes themselves aren't designed specifically to defeat emission control devices. They just turn up the boost, add fuel to make it run properly, and off you go. These diesel guys, on the other hand, like to remove the particulate filters and whatnot so they can spew clouds of black smoke as a way of compensating for their personal shortcomings. Also, I'm sure that most tuners get away with it by putting "for off-road use only" in the fine print; the Hondata tuner on my old car made you pinky-swear that you were either using it for racing purposes or you were outside the US.

N2fastcars

Ready to race!
http://www.thedrive.com/news/23833/...roducing-and-selling-emissions-defeat-devices

This is for a company that sells tunes for diesel vehicles...wonder how...or if it'll affect other companies that sells tunes for engines.

I cannot say that I am unhappy about this with these diesel trucks. Nothing ruins a windows down, beautiful day drive faster for me than one of these rolling coal next to me, or having to hear the streaking loud turbo. Second is a Harley that the rider keeps reving it over and over at a traffic light like the carbs flooding out... aren’t they fuel injected now?!?!?
Sorry rant over

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Can’t agree more with you guys about the rolling coal. Really not sure what’s so satisfying about dumping a bunch of stinking black smoke out of your truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
N2fastcars said:
Second is a Harley that the rider keeps reving it over and over at a traffic light like the carbs flooding out

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
As someone who has experience with the distinct misfortune of being behind a coal roller with the windows down all I have to say is good riddance.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
I read about a story where a guy was blocked by like 30 bicyclists on a two lane back road so when he finally got around them he gave them a huge dose of rolling coal.

I'll admit that I laughed when I read the story, but this really is an obnoxious thing to do in almost any situation. Go to the tractor pull if you want to see huge blasts of carbon exhaust.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
I read about a story where a guy was blocked by like 30 bicyclists on a two lane back road so when he finally got around them he gave them a huge dose of rolling coal.

I'll admit that I laughed when I read the story, but this really is an obnoxious thing to do in almost any situation. Go to the tractor pull if you want to see huge blasts of carbon exhaust.

This happens here in Austin on a regular basis, especially coming back from one work location. Decent back road. Little bit bumpy. Probably would need a full blown rally car to take advantage, but tons of fun. Without fail, come up on a group of 30 something odd bicycles and end up going 15mph for miles and miles. Do they ever turn off to let anyone pass. Even if there's an opportunity. Nope. Wish I could roll coal.

On a side note. In the grand scheme of things, how many modified trucks as a percentage of total trucks are there really? And how much impact on the environment do they make. I think 1 cattle ranch is more destructive to the ozone than all the modified trucks.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
I would think in the reality of things one wacky Merican rolling coal is just another brick in the wall of environmental degradation.

Most Americans have very large environmental footprints anyway so just because someone is rolling coal doesn't actually mean they're contributing more than the average person as far as emissions go. Obviously in a vehicle vs. vehicle comparison they emit a lot more but that actually could be balanced by living conservatively in other areas.

Funny thing about those bicyclists, they're all about "sharing" the road, but only really well organized groups will go single file so people can get past. In these situations I always perceive them hogging the road to be extremely rude. If you get rolled coal on in these situations you probably deserved it :D

Last edited:

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
Bicyclists, like everyone else on the road, come in all varieties. Many are quite neighborly and obey the rules. Some don't, and yeah, they're annoying, as are car drivers who abuse the system. I don't think anything justifies rolling coal, though. It's just patently destructive, unproductively juvenile, and unnecessary, and it adversely impacts anyone nearby. Leaving aside whatever environmental damage it may or may not do, it's simply discourteous and impolite, and really, in this day and age when if you annoy someone on the road they're liable to jump out and shoot you, I'm pretty sure it's unwise as well.

N2fastcars

Ready to race!
There are thousands of these rolling coal diesel trucks around me, it’s so annoying and you almost never see them pulling a trailer! I was surrounded by three of them the other day on my way home from work. They are so annoying but really get their feelings hurt when they can’t beat a little 4 door golf! Lol

About 10 years ago my old next door neighbor had a couple of these Ford power stroke trucks and always talked a bunch of s*^t about my mustang and how slow it was. Then one night I unknowingly ran the fastest truck in their crew and beat him by bus lengths... The word got back to them, I never said a word, and they never gave me grief again!

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Bicyclists, like everyone else on the road, come in all varieties. Many are quite neighborly and obey the rules. Some don't, and yeah, they're annoying, as are car drivers who abuse the system. I don't think anything justifies rolling coal, though. It's just patently destructive, unproductively juvenile, and unnecessary, and it adversely impacts anyone nearby. Leaving aside whatever environmental damage it may or may not do, it's simply discourteous and impolite, and really, in this day and age when if you annoy someone on the road they're liable to jump out and shoot you, I'm pretty sure it's unwise as well.

I live in a college town that has a disproportionate amount of cyclists, but I almost never see big groups of them impeding traffic flow. Meanwhile, it only takes one sanctimonious prick in a hybrid car to cause miles of traffic backups.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
I live in a college town that has a disproportionate amount of cyclists, but I almost never see big groups of them impeding traffic flow. Meanwhile, it only takes one sanctimonious prick in a hybrid car to cause miles of traffic backups.

City cycling is quite a bit different than back roads cycling. When you roll up on this it's exactly like finding one person in a Prius going 15 under on your favorite driving road.

It's not even like you can just burn around the bikes either because that's psychotic, you're gonna kill someone. You can almost always double yellow pass a slow car, if you're feeling frisky, especially if they don't see you coming.

When ever I see organized bike race participants riding the back roads they always keep right and they -always- yield to let you by.

When you find a group of cycling enthusiasts who fan out over the entire lane and then won't line up so you can roll by it's extremely irritating. It would take them going single or double file for like 5 seconds for the car to get past. It's not like you're stuck behind Lance Armstrong and he's making really good pace.

This is like getting stuck behind a farm tractor pulling a back-hoe on a trailer.

So, uh, anyway...:p

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
Damn, the Prius drivers here are the usual speeding suspects, which I find hilarious. I'll be doing 70 on the interstate and get passed by a Prius driver doing 80+, all the time. Saving the planet one speeding ticket at a time!