GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EVOMS V-FLow

nbturbos

Passed Driver's Ed
Heat shield makes a big BIG difference, believe it or not.

Also, take a piece of metal, and a piece of plastic under your hood after a run. wait about 10 minutes (just so it's not SO hot you burn yourself). Touch a piece of plastic, then a piece of metal...which one is hotter?

There is a reason why the R&D of the EVO has taken this long, and the K+ was released so early. Not bashing them though, I have no persoal experience with K+ so I'm just talking out of my arse.

feuerdog

Touring Car Newbie
nbturbos said:
There is a reason why the R&D of the EVO has taken this long,....

R&D takes as long as you want it to take to get the results that you want.

Getting injection molded parts from a slow manufacturer is what has taken so long.

As for the temperature debate:
Compressing the air increases the temperature of the air, no question there. But if that air is cooler to begin with then there is still going to be a difference in the final cylinder temps.

Every little bit helps.

Anders @ EVO

Go Kart Champion
Why is it $200? Take a guess at what the molds for an intake like this cost?

Metal is NOT more resistant to heat than plastic... Heres a test, lay a piece of plastic and a piece of metal in the sun during the summer months, if you had to hold your hand on one of the pieces which would you pick?

We spent some time at the flowbench with our V-Flow to get some good numbers for you guys! Here are the results

MHS216

Anchors Aweigh
Car(s)
UG GTI 2006
haha ok I'm wrong and I'm a jerk, sorry Anders. Thinking about it for 2 seconds it makes more sense, metal will be a lot hotter after being left in the sun or under the hood etc. than plastic. Lost my head. I guess what I am curious about is, wouldn't plastic be less likely to hold it's structure at higher temps than metal. And over time, being exposed to high heats, couldn't the plastic eventually warp. Or maybe the plastic is much more heat resistant than I think.

Not trying to be a jerk, I'm honestly just curious about the product. $200 isn't shit to some people, but for a college kid its a couple months worth of living so I just wanna know what I'm getting for the money.

And no I don't know what a plastic mold costs, I'll guess it's quite a lot, since the actual plastic material couldn't cost more than 50 or 60 cents per item.

I'm just speaking for myself but I'm sure others feel the same, but it's nice to see a company that puts this much effort into a product as well as R&D AND having a member of the company around all the time to answer all kinds of bonehead questions. :thanks: :respekt:

Accel

Rally Car Champion
MHS216 said:
I guess what I am curious about is, wouldn't plastic be less likely to hold it's structure at higher temps than metal. And over time, being exposed to high heats, couldn't the plastic eventually warp.

Is your engine cover warped? Battery Box? Your stock airbox? Any other plastic peices in the car?

Think of it that way.

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
Is this going to be available soon. I ask because I am going to be going to a track event in chicago in September along with a big car show. I would love to have this before then. Not trying to be a jerk, but time goes by quickly.

feuerdog

Touring Car Newbie
Accel said:
Is your engine cover warped? Battery Box? Your stock airbox? Any other plastic peices in the car?

Think of it that way.

Actually, the intake manifold and cylinder head cover is plastic on a 2.0t too.

GTI2007

Anders @ EVO said:
Why is it $200? Take a guess at what the molds for an intake like this cost?

Metal is NOT more resistant to heat than plastic... Heres a test, lay a piece of plastic and a piece of metal in the sun during the summer months, if you had to hold your hand on one of the pieces which would you pick?

We spent some time at the flowbench with our V-Flow to get some good numbers for you guys! Here are the results

That's a serious increase of incoming air. Looking at the benches I would defenatly go for the V-Flow!

VDUBB

Rally Car Newbie
You had me at.... "100% Plastic construction "... :tear: , enough nit-picking already and tell me how and when I can get one. :biggrin:

quailallstar

WOB DJ496
Car(s)
MY19 MK7.5 GTI Bunny
Where are these for sale?