GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

External wastegate conversion?

DylanRWong

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2006 VW GTI
Please don't judge me.. This is to fix my turbo, not for the noise. :help:

The wastegate flapper on my K03 is destroyed, and only holds about 2 pounds of boost. Other than buying a new turbo, the only other solution I've been able to come to is converting the K03 to an external wastegate. Would it be as simple as welding the internal wastegate shut, drilling a port somewhere on the exhaust side, and fitting an aftermarket external wastegate to the port? If so, where would the best place to install the external wastegate be? :iono:

Thanks! :thumbup:

gti2slow

Go Kart Champion
Wtf happened to the k03 wastegate?

flat tire

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Electric + 135i
It will be easier and cheaper to buy a new K03 off classifieds you don't want to weld to weld that manifold unless you know someone welding for aerospace or something otherwise it'll crack.

You would have to tune an external wastegate if you want to actually run any boost and that will require experienced custom tuning. It won't be a quick process cuz you'll either have to have a pro tune the thing on a dyno or or making a shitton of logs and praying that someone remotely can figure it out for you which will probably take weeks if it ever happens. Anyway, long story short, you could easily put a K04 in the car for the amount of effort what you want would take to make it work effectively. And even then your worked over turbofold would probably crack.

DylanRWong

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2006 VW GTI
Wtf happened to the k03 wastegate?

I honestly have no idea. Probably has something to do with this. (If you can't tell, the rod on the wastegate actuator is completely sheered.) The dealership found this when I had them take a look at the turbo when I first lost boost. They couldn't make heads or tails of what had happened.

DylanRWong

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2006 VW GTI
It will be easier and cheaper to buy a new K03 off classifieds you don't want to weld to weld that manifold unless you know someone welding for aerospace or something otherwise it'll crack.

You would have to tune an external wastegate if you want to actually run any boost and that will require experienced custom tuning. It won't be a quick process cuz you'll either have to have a pro tune the thing on a dyno or or making a shitton of logs and praying that someone remotely can figure it out for you which will probably take weeks if it ever happens. Anyway, long story short, you could easily put a K04 in the car for the amount of effort what you want would take to make it work effectively. And even then your worked over turbofold would probably crack.

That really sucks. Thank you for the detailed explanation! Looks like I'll just go back to K03 hunting.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
I would suggest looking for a used one from a trusted member on a forum. I sold mine for $194 which included shipping and it had just 58k miles on it. It was only removed to install my K04 when I finally did that in 2010. If someone has upgraded their turbo they will likely still have their K03 because they are nearly impossible to give away...took me 6 yrs to sell.

DylanRWong

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2006 VW GTI
Update! Just found out from the previous owner that he had the original K03 modified with K04 internals! Is it worth saving now?? Maybe have a new wastegate flapper fabricated?

larcic

Ready to race!
was it tuned for k04 internals??

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
Update! Just found out from the previous owner that he had the original K03 modified with K04 internals! Is it worth saving now?? Maybe have a new wastegate flapper fabricated?

I honestly don't think that's possible, the K04 compressor wheel is bigger than a K03. You couldn't fit K04 internals in a K03 housing. Do you mean he upgraded to a K04? That's the entire manifold/turbofold and CHRA.

DylanRWong

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2006 VW GTI
I honestly don't think that's possible, the K04 compressor wheel is bigger than a K03. You couldn't fit K04 internals in a K03 housing. Do you mean he upgraded to a K04? That's the entire manifold/turbofold and CHRA.

The K03 has been professionally machined (as well as some other things) to allow the larger compressor wheel of the K04 to fit in the K03 housing. Essentially giving you the power of a K04 with the spooling time of a K03.

707Stang

I'm Hella From Nor*Cal
The K03 has been professionally machined (as well as some other things) to allow the larger compressor wheel of the K04 to fit in the K03 housing. Essentially giving you the power of a K04 with the spooling time of a K03.

That's hella neat!

Joshohol

Go Kart Champion
The flapper itself broke or the rod broke in half? If the rod broke in half that happens all the time. Just buy a forge wastegate, end of story. And I think PO is pulling your leg. Why would they do all that work to a ko3? You would get fuel cuts all the time if the car didnt have the hpfp file

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

U.G.MKV

Stealth mode
Car(s)
2007 mkv
I'm calling BS too. Anyone that knows these cars would just have put a k04 on the car. Is it possible that it has a F23? that's a hybrid setup.