GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf 8 - Wireless Charging behaviour

1238carey

I had a new charging unit installed earlier this year, which made no difference, although I suspect it may be a like for like. VW are not interested and insist on blaming Apple. If the software update doesn’t solve it I will be getting a Mag Safe charger for the car.

Massimo 2323

Drag Racing Champion
Who has the apple pay problem, do you have the mobile key function?
It seems who has the wireless charger with this function has problems with apple pay…

1238carey

Yes I also have mobile key. Didn’t ask for it - was an option already on the car, was even told that I could unlock the car with my Apple Watch on handover, but surprise surprise it does work with Apple, just Samsung.

Massimo 2323

Drag Racing Champion
There are a few different TPI's for problems between the phone and the wireless charger:

2058294/5 (Only vehicles with the PR number 9IJ/ 9IH/ 9IP/ 9IQ/ 9ZV are affected by these complaints)
- Wireless charging of mobile phone in the centre console does not work.
or
- The wireless charging of the mobile phone is broken off after a short time.
and
- The text message "Please remove all objects from the compartment except the phone" is shown in the display of the radio/navigation system although there are no other items in the compartment.

Solution:
Affected are only coupling aerials/charging cradles with the part number 5NA.980.611 and version less than 16S.
From version 16S and up the complaint was resolved.

2066554/1 (Only vehicles with the PR number 9IJ/ 9IH/ 9IP/ 9IQ/ 9ZV are affected by these complaints)
or
and
- The text message "Please remove all objects from the compartment except the phone" is shown in the display of the radio/navigation system although there are no other items in the compartment.

Solution:
Only coupling aerials/charging cradles with part number 3G0.980.611 of version less than 33S are affected. From version 33S and up the complaint was resolved.

2062725/2 (Only vehicles with the PR number 2F1 are affected by these complaints)
The "Apple Pay" application (App) (electronic payment system for your mobile terminal devices) installed on the Apple iPhone is automatically activated as soon as the iPhone is inserted into the charging cradle.

Solution:
The problem reported by / by the Customer ("Apple Pay" starts automatically) is not caused by the vehicle's technology!
Apple iPhones do not behave according to the standard defined when using NFC communication (the iPhone is inserted into the charging base). As soon as the iPhone recognizes an NFC communication with the charging base, the iPhone automatically activates the installed application (App) "Apple Pay". However, opening the "Apple Pay" application (App) does not involve costs.

1238carey

There are a few different TPI's for problems between the phone and the wireless charger:

2058294/5 (Only vehicles with the PR number 9IJ/ 9IH/ 9IP/ 9IQ/ 9ZV are affected by these complaints)
or
and

Solution:
Affected are only coupling aerials/charging cradles with the part number 5NA.980.611 and version less than 16S.

2066554/1 (Only vehicles with the PR number 9IJ/ 9IH/ 9IP/ 9IQ/ 9ZV are affected by these complaints)
or
and

Solution:
Only coupling aerials/charging cradles with part number 3G0.980.611 of version less than 33S are affected. From version 33S and up the complaint was resolved.

2062725/2 (Only vehicles with the PR number 2F1 are affected by these complaints)
The "Apple Pay" application (App) (electronic payment system for your mobile terminal devices) installed on the Apple iPhone is automatically activated as soon as the iPhone is inserted into the charging cradle.

Solution:
The problem reported by / by the Customer ("Apple Pay" starts automatically) is not caused by the vehicle's technology!
Apple iPhones do not behave according to the standard defined when using NFC communication (the iPhone is inserted into the charging base). As soon as the iPhone recognizes an NFC communication with the charging base, the iPhone automatically activates the installed application (App) "Apple Pay". However, opening the "Apple Pay" application (App) does not involve costs.
Thank you - what’s a PR number and where do I find it?

daveb15

Ready to race!
Mine has 9ZV Comfort telephony, without antenna connection

and

2F0 Without locking and starting systems.

I notice that 2F1 is Locking and starting systems

Does mean that cars with keyless entry or mobile have this issue?

Certainly mobile key requires your to place your mobile phone on the charger to allow the engine to start so cars with mobile key must have an NFC reader in the wireless charger, but I wonder if cars speced with keyless entry also come with the NFC reader in the wireless charger.

Last edited:

Massimo 2323

Drag Racing Champion
Mine is the same as yours with 9ZV and 2F0. My wireless charger model is 5NA980611 and I have no problems with charging or with Apple Pay. If I remember mine has software S20. Now looking at the brochure it says that mobile key comes standard on the style and e-hybrid. I don't have a Sumsung to try it out but I have my doubts that it works. Also mine has 2F0 and you would need the pr-code 2F1 for the Mobile Key...

daveb15

Ready to race!
Check in the shop in your infotainment to see if mobile key is an option to buy, it probably won’t be there but I suspect cars with keyless entry can buy mobile key in online shop.

Braxton

Passed Driver's Ed
I did a charging test with my s22+ with the rubber mat in and out. It didn't help in a meaningful way , about 500 ma with it on and about 550 off.

The problem is it doesn't support qi fast wireless charging for Android. With wireless Android auto on I'm barely in the positive, so maybe 20% an hour

Niceguy235

Had a drive in a 22 plate yesterday with Wireless charging and i tried it with my Iphone12 and it disconnected after a few seconds although I have no idea on any PR or part codes so not sure on what build dates the cars are built with the new charging modules?

Lui75

or
and

Solution:

or
and

Solution:

Solution:
Hi. I bought my Golf 8 TGI in October 2020 and it has got the same problem you are discussing in this thread. The VW Service said to me that everything is fine with e the car. At first I thought it was my new iPhone 12 mini the problem, because of its size, but the problem persists even with my new iPhone 13. I would like to let my VW service solve the problem but I don’t know where to find relevant information stating that there actually is a problem with the ire less charger of my car, even though all the test results they did or will do was or will be good. Thanks for your help.