GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf R MK8 and price insanity... Share you experience and opinions

amsr

Ready to race!
If used cars are selling for so much you’d think lease prices would be really low, esp if you get the car near or at MSRP. The lease monthly payment is essentially the depreciation plus some interest. It seems cars are the moment aren’t really depreciating much. I guess in 39 months they think that won’t be the case anymore, eh?

OLD MEN RULE

Go Kart Champion
Looks like the auto industry has gone insane. The new business plan sell less cars and make more money. As we all know this is not just the VW family of fine autos but all of them.

H-Bomb

Go Kart Champion
@cycler, that's some good advise there...

I think I'll have to sit this one out... I contacted more dealerships in Florida and I've been receiving some scary quotes...
I thought that a $3,000 "Addendum" fee was bad... they are now talking $10K Addendum...

$61K out-the-door!
(MK8 Golf R with DSG)
That would be about 14 thousand more than I paid for mine (with exchange).

crazy

328GTS

I bought my se 6speed with leather and black wheels for sticker on Dec. 12, 2021. Had one ordered near home for the last year. When they started shipping I saw my exact car about 120 miles from home. The one on order was $250 under sticker. I paid sticker on the one in stock. Near home they were going 3-5k over sticker.

ReflexSilver

If any one is looking for a Yellow Autobahn, someone traded one back in with 615 miles on it. It's listed at $43,800 at Smith VW in Delaware. I have no idea why they would trade it back in (for a GLi no less..) but it's there in the showroom.

napadirt

Ready to race!
I put down a $2500 deposit for a 6MT Blue 8R that’s waiting in port. I’ll get first test drive. Dealer wants +$10k, $55,500. I’m not paying that. They even refused $50k. Claims less than 3000 units are coming to US this year.

Jealous of those getting a car at or near MSRP.

Edit: I’m going to start calling around in the area to price shop. There are many cars listed on Carguru. Problem is…not many cars. Many of us will be waiting a long time or overpaying.

Last edited:

bentin

Autocross Champion
I have a deal for MSRP, but I won’t really believe it until I’m driving away from the dealer.

I had a deposit on two AP1 S2k’s for MSRP, both dealers pulled a $10k markup when I showed up to buy them. I still tell people to avoid both dealers.

H-Bomb

Go Kart Champion
You also have health care, all you can eat poutine and politicians that aren’t old as the hills.
It’s been really hard being Canadian of late man. It’s pretty embarrassing actually.

hope everything works out on your order. It’s a really fun car.

NoCaution

SofaKingEuro.com
I picked up my new Mk8 (6MT, Autobahn, Moonstone) about 7 hours ago! I paid MSRP with zero dealer markups. They did add some minor things that I wasn't upset about at all, like window tint, a pinstripe accent, door edge guards, and something else I can't remember right now. The pinstripe was 100 bucks, and I could easily remove it, but it actually looks pretty good. Regardless; even with flying across the country to buy it and drive it home, I paid less than some dealers are adding to the price. The only one that was available in my state had nearly 8 grand added to it!

I've only driven it about 400 miles, but I'm already in love!

Will_

Autocross Champion
Went to a local dealership today to check out a few MK8 GTIs and ask about MK8 Rs. Manager told me straight up they're getting maybe 4 R's in the next 12 months and all will be $55k cars. Looks like I may be waiting a year or two before I try to get one at sticker.

On the plus side he told me they'd sell me any GTI without markup. If I can get an SE with leather seats for 36kish that wouldn't be too bad.