GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

good starter camera

btownvw

Ready to race!
Canon Rebel XSI..... got it in mail yesterday and havent been able to put it down.... not sure of your budget thou

tinto

bitch please
im going to have to disagree with you on this one. him getting a G9 or something similar will just be wasting money/putting off the inevitable. i think a great way to learn the basics of photography is to get a beginner dslr and just start messing around with it. also, with the size of new dslr's these days, you dont need to get a big bag...unless youre gonna have a plethora of lenses. for example, i think a D60/D80 with a 18-200mm VR is a great starter setup, and its not even that big.

Fair call the base dSLRs are pretty small. I consider the prosumer p&Shoot cameras a 'gateway' to a dSLR.
But consider someone who is used to taking a shot with their cell phone starting to use an dSLR. It can be a bit overwhelming, and may squash their interest.

A prosumer Point & Shoot gives you the freedom to consider your composition and approach without the learning curve or the weight/hassle of a dSLR. You can take it anywhere and shoot almost anything, then drop it back into your (pretty bloody big) pocket.
After all, it is about the shots you take, not the gear you use.

If you like it, no doubt you'll end up with a dSLR - in which case buying a G9 was just avoiding the inevitable...
But would you have enjoyed the ride so much if you had to carry a dSLR around? I'm not so sure.

I think that going through something a bit less cumbersome is a smoother ramp up, and is more likely to keep you enthused about photography in an image making sense.
In a creative, non technical way.

To give some perspective - I've a 400D with 17-55 2.8 IS USM and a 70-200L f4 IS USM, both heavy lenses on a light body.
I love it... but I definitely wouldn't recommend it to someone starting out.
Too much bullshit and weight to enjoy photography in a simple sense.

At any rate, if you're considering any Canon gear and don't mind it 2nd hand, you shouldn't look past this forum:
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14

Excuse my rambling :)

vdubya 6

cant spell or tipe!
no man thank you ill look into it what about somthig like a d40 which mite be closer to my price range ?

canon and nikon both make great products. i bought into the nikon family first with the d70, then d80, and now d200. i have used my friends canon digital rebel and i have to say that the shutter is way too electronic sounding. it has a very high pitched whine and you can hear motors going. the nikon has a more mechanical sounding "clack" as the shutter releases

utekineir

Banned
I recently bought a canon xsi too, was around $700 at costcos (amazing return policy) with the 18-55 IS kit lens.

The lens isn't all that great when the lighting isn't perfect, and i don't know dick about cameras. But otherwise its great so far.

The price difference between the d60, xs, xti etc pretty much makes the xsi the best choice for the $500-$800 range.

vdubya 6

cant spell or tipe!
I recently bought a canon xsi too, was around $700 at costcos (amazing return policy) with the 18-55 IS kit lens.

The lens isn't all that great when the lighting isn't perfect, and i don't know dick about cameras. But otherwise its great so far.

The price difference between the d60, xs, xti etc pretty much makes the xsi the best choice for the $500-$800 range.

the d60 is way to much and im looking at a used d40 or canon d20 or maybe the sony alpha im trying to spend under 500 cuz id have to get the mem. car and tripod and stufd

utekineir

Banned
If you don't want to end up spending much money, don't get a dslr.

The big point of dslrs is the lenses, which you'll probably end up spending more on than you did the camera body itself.

vdubya 6

cant spell or tipe!
If you don't want to end up spending much money, don't get a dslr.

The big point of dslrs is the lenses, which you'll probably end up spending more on than you did the camera body itself.

no thats okay if i end up getting a 2-300 lens
i just never knew they cost so much i just cant spend 700 from the start ill take the 18-55 and deal w/ it til i figure every thing out then up grade and still be under 700

Ducky 2.0T

Ready to race!
Also look at BHphotovideo and abesofmaine.

B&H is $650 shipped
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/542180-REG/Canon_2756B003_EOS_Rebel_XSi_a_k_a_.html

Abes of Maine is $648 shipped
http://www.abesofmaine.com/item.do?item=CNEOSRDXSI1855

FWIW: the 18-55 is a decent lens for a starter and this one has IS which is at least an upgrade from the XTI 18-55 that didn't have image stabilization. I read a travel photography book where the guy was asked to take a 2.0mp point and shoot camera out and take amazing shots. His pictures are lightyears better then anything I can shoot with 10x the money spent on camera gear. The lenses help but learning basic composition, lighting etc.. can be done just fine with the 18-55.

If you want to have some fun, pick up a 50mm F/1.8 for $100-150 and mess around with that for a while.

Last note: When buying online be leery of any place other then B&H and Abesofmaine (there is another one that i am forgetting).. There are some bait and switch places out there that try and sucker you in with ridiculously cheap bodies and charge you for everything under the kitchen sink.

kevin@dbcperformance

www.eemilitia.com
Alittle off topic.. but wheres the best place to purchase lenses? For a Nikon D60?