GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Grambles Crossroads (House Building Thread)

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Where is this!? I'll buy it before you do!!

Not a fan of it really...

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/31-Thompson-Dr_Chelsea_AL_35043_M83038-80366?row=66

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
4bd 3bth $210K Foreclosed

mdhollis

Go Kart Champion
^wow that is unreal you can get a house like that for that price. Just have to make sure all the copper is still in there. Sometimes people rip these houses apart before the bank takes possession.

Baldeagle

Ready to race!
Hope I'm not derailing too much here, it might interest other people in this thread. Do you know if this is a straight withdrawal or does it work like a loan to yourself? Meaning will you be able to put the $10000 back later or once it's out you can't replace it beyond the $5000/yr contribution limit?

This is not like a loan from a 401(k) plan in which retirement assets are used as collateral. This is an actual withdrawal. Once it is out, it’s out. All future contributions are subject to regular contribution limits ($5,500 max for the 2013 tax year plus $1,000 catch-up if over age 50, provided you are not an active participant in an employer-maintained retirement plan and so forth). Of course deductibility is a separate issue (phase outs).

Things to know about this subject are:

• If you're married and you and your spouse are both "first-time" buyers, you can each withdraw from retirement accounts, giving you $20,000.

• Most people don’t know it doesn’t have to be your first house. Here is the tax code:

"72(t)(8)(D)(i)(I) such individual (and if married, such individual's spouse) had no present ownership interest in a principal residence during the 2-year period ending on the date of acquisition of the principal residence to which this paragraph applies, and"

You can still qualify for the penalty-free withdrawal as long as you OR your spouse didn't own a principal residence at any time during the previous two years. But remember, that $10,000 limit is a lifetime limit. So for most people it means you will only use this exemption once.

nouse4aname

Go Kart Champion
Still in our "starter house" 10 years later. Only thing I wish I would have held out for is a basement. Similar houses here are $50k cheaper than those.

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
Good read, I just got engaged recently and will be looking into buying a house soon with the wife to be. Interesting points in here. Glad you're keeping the car grambles, although you can have fun in an old Civic, my '97 was my favorite car to date, although the GTI is so much better objectively.

You guys saying we live in pergatory for these house prices just haven't been around here. I live within a pretty short drive to great beaches, amazing mountains and this city is clean and modern. Our house prices seem pretty similar to what he's looking at in Bama.

rawbdog

Go Kart Champion
4bd 3bth $210K Foreclosed

if that was in your price range i think you should jump on that. as long as everything inside has been maintained. that is an awesome loooking house. something like that in CA would be extremely high.

Thunderfunk

Ready to race!
Wow - -

Here in South NJ - 3 bed 2.5 bath 1.5 acres = $252k + $6500 / yr in taxes. Up North is A LOT worse.

Up north and I can vouch for that. I would kill for something that cheap up here. Lucky if $250k would get you a two bedroom one bath on some scrap of dirt in a shady part of town.

chinqutie

Go Kart Champion

ShdBluMkVI

Ready to race!
So, we made a decision yesterday at the Indy Race as I was sitting in a new Civic SI and accord Coupe. I'm gonna hang on to the car for now. Modding has ceased.

I love me some IndyCar... I took this pic out on the starting grid, right before they rolled off pitlane for warm up laps prior to green flag in St. Pete a few weeks ago.... awesome stuff

Too bad my guy smacked the wall on cold tires coming out of the pits that day... :eek:

I want to also tell you I've always enjoyed your posts/comments/knowledge. So I wish you and your honey the best - and I say you made the right decision; quit modding, hang on to that paid-for car as long as you can, and bank the rest for now.

But I'd like to know why you say "never another VW?"

I've read many of your threads, but not all of them. Too many problems?

To be honest, I love my MkVI SO MUCH, it's just the best match to suit my needs and my love of driving, and within my budget, but I'm not sure about its costs once the warranty ends. It's already broken down once, but man what a fun car.

Good luck my friend!

PeeLo801

Ready to race!
subscribed just cause i'm in a similar situation at this point in my life. Love the different viewpoints and feedback from this thread!