GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

**Gun Enthusiast Thread**

Jarbear

Ready to race!
Beretta 92fs Brigadier - S&W Model 629 .44 - Springfield XD9 sub - Custom handbuilt AR

Mike-E

Go Kart Newbie
The issue is twofold, first it's an American right to bear arms, it's not a privilege. We have a ton of laws in place regarding conduct and negligence with a firearm.

The second thing is the cost. You can buy a serviceable pistol with a box of ammo and CCW permit for under $400 in most of the country.

When I think back to most of the classes I've taken (which is quite a few), if you add travel, ammo, required equipment, and class fees, it has to be at least $100/hr for actual range time.

Pistol skills are also highly perishable, so to maintain a high level of proficiency, you need to continuously practice what you've trained.

Most people just don't have the time or money to be "highly proficient"...at least not as I would define it.
Must suck living in a communist, Yankee state. Here in FL., my DD214 was all the training I needed to get a Concealed Cary Permit. All my classes were free (to me) and included everything from M1911 to M2. My gun club fee is $75 a year for unlimited range time 7 days a week from sun up to sun down.

Last edited:

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Must suck living in a communist, Yankee state. Here in FL., my DD214 was all the training I needed to get a Concealed Cary Permit. All my classes were free (to me) and included everything from M1911 to M2. My gun club fee is $75 a year for unlimited range time 7 days a week from sun up to sun down.

RI blows.

Hate this shithole state, here for family only.

The gun laws are mediocre...no AWB, mag restrictions, CCW is hit or miss depending on the town, etc.

No NFA items allowed whatsoever. Ranges are about $200-$400/yr. The only real long range around here (above 500yd), where i'm also a member, is in central MA and was shut down due to "zoning". Long story.

Usually to shoot USPSA or take higher level classes, i'm in MA (which absolutely sucks) or NH. There's very little within a 1.5hr drive.

Colowyo

Passed Driver's Ed

Dang, that's cheap. Mine's $150 per year. It's got a 600 yard range. I wish it were 1000 yards but I've got a buddy with a huge ranch for banging steel as far as you want to shoot. But Colorado is slowly turning into a Commie state as well.

I've tried the USPSA game around here. Can't say I'm all that impressed with some of the attitude. The long range guys are great. We're fortunate to have a ton of all types of competitions within an hour or two.

Rafiki76

Ready to race!
I was having a discussion over Instagram with a guy in Switzerland, ex military, who just got his permit to have "three weapons" in his household. Which, was only possibly through his prior military service. We were discussing what he should get, yadda yadda. But American gun culture came up briefly, specifically CCW carriers. He doesn't like the idea of anyone without extensive marksmanship and weapons handling training carrying a firearm in public. Regardless of intentions. I sorta feel his argument. Granted, I do not have extensive marksmanship training, I do know I am above average.

Especially at an LA range probably! HA!

As a local, and gun supporter, how do you feel about the new Cali ammunition policies that are coming?

Well I like your Swiss friend and the Swiss are known for being marksmen.

But as a shooter in CA, I hate it. I believe it is a backdoor infringement of our Second Amendment rights and I'm hoping it will be declared void by the courts. In CA you cant even own a regular AR-15 anymore because apparently its a scary assault rifle that can kill hundreds a second. Not a sporting rifle designed for the civilian market that shoots a glorified .22 that I use to teach rifle marksmanship and handling.

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
That Glock 19X shot great, feels good being back in the 9 game. Been shooting magnums for two years now, forgot how pleasant 9mm was to shoot haha. pew pew pew vs. BANG BANG BANG

takemorepills

Ready to race!
Well I like your Swiss friend and the Swiss are known for being marksmen.

But as a shooter in CA, I hate it. I believe it is a backdoor infringement of our Second Amendment rights and I'm hoping it will be declared void by the courts. In CA you cant even own a regular AR-15 anymore because apparently its a scary assault rifle that can kill hundreds a second. Not a sporting rifle designed for the civilian market that shoots a glorified .22 that I use to teach rifle marksmanship and handling.

What happens to people who already owned a gun (AR-15) when CA passes these kinds of laws? Can they keep it?

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
What happens to people who already owned a gun (AR-15) when CA passes these kinds of laws? Can they keep it?

I can't speak to CA, but...

Here in DE, they are moving a bill (HB300) through the statehouse that will make owning a bump stock a felony upon passage. They are not grandfathering current owners, nor are they offering any compensation for turn-in. Furthermore, they have no idea who legally owns a bump stock today, so they have no way of notifying those people that they will be instant felons upon passage.

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
The Government is not supposed to be able to take your property without "Just Compensation" according to the Constitution.

https://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Just+Compensation

What is the definition of tyranny again?...I'll have to look that one up too....

The problem with a just compensation argument is that they are not seizing the property for public use. Trust me, I’d love to find a way to be compensated (at market rate) for the bump stock I own that is about to become a felony to own.

I’m probably just going to ship mine off to a friend in a free state.

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
The problem with a just compensation argument is that they are not seizing the property for public use. Trust me, I’d love to find a way to be compensated (at market rate) for the bump stock I own that is about to become a felony to own.

I’m probably just going to ship mine off to a friend in a free state.

Didn't you lose it in a boating accident?

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
Yep, give em up, then in 20 years we'll be like England. Bent over with our heads in the sand taking it in the rear. Cali, and their law makers, can blow on my Polish yams.

If I lived in Cali, and I owned a bump stock, I would absolutely continue to do so. #1776#polishyams

codered911

Ready to race!
I can't speak to CA, but...

Here in DE, they are moving a bill (HB300) through the statehouse that will make owning a bump stock a felony upon passage. They are not grandfathering current owners, nor are they offering any compensation for turn-in. Furthermore, they have no idea who legally owns a bump stock today, so they have no way of notifying those people that they will be instant felons upon passage.

blah, I am on my way up to your neck of the woods in a few weeks. Living in Florida I never had these issues, and will have to get my concealed permit eventually there like I had down here in FL. I've heard it's a pita to get one there, but better than NJ.

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
blah, I am on my way up to your neck of the woods in a few weeks. Living in Florida I never had these issues, and will have to get my concealed permit eventually there like I had down here in FL. I've heard it's a pita to get one there, but better than NJ.

It’s a goat rope:

1. Take ccw class
2. Get fingerprinted
3. Get written recommendation from 3 (or 5, I forget) non-family residents of the state
4. Run a classified ad for a week in an approved local newspaper with your name, address, and intention
5. Pay hefty fee
6. Wait

And it’s “may issue”, so if the judge is having a bad day, you can arbitrarily be denied (though most are approved).