GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

**Gun Enthusiast Thread**

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Anyone have a kimber mako r7? Recently caught my attention after talking to a guy at the range who had one. Seems like a sweet piece for around $500
Never heard of one till now. Looks kinda cool. There is a Taurus that looks similar (but I’d rather carry a Kimber any day over a Taurus that’ll kill me, or get me killed)

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
I did some reading and it seems they had some quality control issues. Hm, I have about 1500 rounds through mine and it's been a champ.

On a side note I decided to try an alien gear shape shift 4.0 holster, it arrived today and I'm returning it right away. It's very poorly made and provides no retention at all. Piece of junk, stay away.

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Picked up a sig tango 1-6 ffp lpvo today. Don't know if I want to put it on the .50 beowulf or the .223. If I put it on the .223, then the vortex red dot 3x multiplier combo will go to the .50. Tired of destroying cheap optics with the .50.

uberdot

Autocross Champion
One of my friend’s coworkers had one go off while working. Didn’t cause too much injury luckily

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
One of my friend’s coworkers had one go off while working. Didn’t cause too much injury luckily

All I know is I remember when Taurus first started selling them in the U.S. They were (are?) an inexpensive gun that came with a lifetime guarantee. I never heard of any problems, but I would rather have one from a number of other manufacturers. One has been in business a lot longer and has an "unofficial" lifetime warranty. And maybe someone can tell me why Glock is so popular. I never liked the split trigger safety on them or any other pistol. Personally, I wouldn't buy one. In the "old" days, all you needed to do was look what the three-letter agencies, the Secret Service, or SOG bought. I also remember that certain end users used to be authorized to source their weapons from wherever they thought best met their needs. You might be able to search if they still do. Reliability was very high on their list.

Last edited:

jay745

I talked to the gunsmith at the range who I've become friendly with about it. He didnt give me any reason to believe it's not a safe gun and will fire on its own. He recommended I replace the plastic parts inside so I ordered a precision metal striker guide and upgraded the retention spring. Not saying it's the best gun out there, it's obviously still a budget gun but I think there's a lot of Internet rumors from a friend of a friend etc. Haven't ever contacted their customer service but I feel that's probably why they get a bad reputation. Meh, I have about 1500 rounds through it now...been going to the range a lot. It's been reliable for me and shoots great. I like it more than my sig p229

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Speaking of budget guns, anyone try out the Palmetto State Armory pistols?

tmw2442

Autocross Newbie
600 rds, over the last 1 1/2 years no complaints. On the mostly bog standard config.

IF you are the type that every year follows the gun magazine/youtuber....trends. The abundance of parts for PSA lets the gun "grow"....lol with you, like oh...now I gotta have a red dot, oh I "need" a threaded barrel, oh now I need....you can just buy a new slide, barrel, trigger, etc at a pretty fair price. Oh, it can't be black anymore, It "needs to" be tan or green...etc. So tops making the gun exactly how it "works" or whatever new trendy gun "bling" , you "want" you're only into it 500-600 top instead of 900 - $1100. More money in your budget for ammo to practice/shoot.

Great gun for the price...imo... and if something does happen to go wrong with anything from PSA, when I did have to use warranty with them once(another gun, after they made a parts revision), it was super easy and I had the gun back within a week and they threw in a mag.

I would rather have a 300 gun and 300 worth of mags, ammo, and a couple spare parts to keep it going for multiple thousands of rds(my lifetime...) and "train/practice" a couple times a year, than a 600-700 gun with no ammo or spare wear items (ie, a recoil spring, etc...), or whatever everyone's budget is.

Last edited:

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
I have a Dagger slide on a Gen 3 frame. I bought the RMR cut slide and installed a Strike Industies barrel and an Overwatch Precision firing pin. 500 or so rounds including a pistol course. So far zero issues.

uberdot

Autocross Champion
@tmw2442 I agree with bucking whatever trend gets me upvotes by pRedditors for my semi professional gun photographs. Some of these guys must either get their guns cerakoted every time they go to the range, or they never really shoot them and are just Larping. Either way they’re probably cucks who feel that performative masculinity, i.e. being into a “manly” hobby aka collecting gear (and yet somehow still getting it all wrong) mitigates for their actual lack of being useful as a man in any capacity. Gun culture has become the 300lb. fat guy decked out in spandex while riding a $10,000 road bike with cosplay sponsor logos all over an outfit he has no business wearing.

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion

I have a couple of the micro-dagger 15 round magazines I'm looking forward to trying in my 43X. Reviews seem pretty positive, and I like that I could use the OE mag release unlike the Shield Arms.

PSA is doing a ton of cool stuff.

jay745

Decisions decisions... definitely wanting to upgrade my daily carry. I was able to shoot a Springfield hellcat at my local range and that thing is awesome. Haven't been able to shoot an r7 mako yet but that's still on my radar. Knowing me I'll probably end up with both at some point. How do you guys decide what you buy? Rent a bunch of guns at the range and go from there? A lot of the online reviews are just terrible and I agree with some of the comments that these are just morons with a YouTube page trying to get views. There's some good one though.

I have way too many guns, most of them my dad has given me over the years, he's a nut and has about 90 but many of them aren't my style at all. Like he gave me a derringer 9mm - 2 shot double barrel 9mm. Thing is completely worthless, I'm a good shot and at 10 yards I could barely put a round on target. No clue why anyone would want something like that but somehow I ended up with it lol. Every time I visit him in Kentucky I go home with 1-5 of his guns, he's going to go be me one of his 1911's when I see him for Christmas in a few weeks so that'll be fun

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
What's this about? I have a Taurus G2 that I love, what's wrong with them?

I want to buy a Taurus G2. My wife has wanted us to get a gun for "protection" for a while, which is pretty hilarious to me, since who tf do we need it to protect us from? Nobody is rioting down our suburban streets lol. I just want to get one since shooting guns is fun, and it'll be nice to have my own to go to the range with a buddy every now and then.