GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

HDTV recommendations.

CaptObvious75

Ready to race!
I highly reccomend a Panasonic plasma if light/glare are not an issue. I have yet to see an LED that gave a better picture quality or viewing angle than plasma. Downside is they are still big and heavy, not slim and fancy if that matters. Otherwise I would go with Samsung or LG for a LED.

Ew LG

melancholygypsy

Bring out the Gimp
Another +1 for Panasonic plasma. I bought my 60st50 a year ago this month and it is amazing, the picture is beautiful.

I did a lot of research before buying and for the price at the time it was the best on the market. I am seeing the same results with the new ST60. To get an LED that would compare in picture quality you would have to spend upward of 4k on a full array LED.

If you want a more real to life picture with deep blacks and no worry about light bleeding go Plasma and go with panny.

Oh and you should join here: http://www.highdefjunkies.com and read through some threads, the couple of professional calibrators namely d-nice posts panel prep and settings for the high end panny plasmas.

I highly reccomend a Panasonic plasma if light/glare are not an issue. I have yet to see an LED that gave a better picture quality or viewing angle than plasma. Downside is they are still big and heavy, not slim and fancy if that matters. Otherwise I would go with Samsung or LG for a LED.

My plasma is heavy but just as thin a LED...

Last edited:

AlfaMikeF0xtr0t

Ready to race!

For some reason I am the same way with LG TV's. I don't remember which device it was, but I had a LG something that ate shit after a short time. But on the flip side of that, before that device ate shit, I had a 17 or 19" LG LCD monitor that I had for about 5 years, sold that PC and monitor to a friend, who used it for probably 4 - 5 years, then gave it to his brother who is still using it. It's the LG monitor that just won't fucking die. So LG can be hit or miss, it's just when they hit, its a homerun, and when they miss, it's a huge whiff.:iono:

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
I'm typing through a new Sharp LE6400LEU. Picked it up refurbished for under a grand. I was looking for just a pretty picture without much fanfare and I think I hit the mark pretty well. The picture is great. Motion processing is excellent with 1080P sources like my computer but can start to degrade with 780i and lower. Not many apps but this is just the platform for better devices like the Roku. I didn't consider plasma screens because I can see the jitter.

glory

Ready to race!
Are you in a dark(ish) room? Like many on this thread I am a fan of Plasmas and they tend to do a better job in low light areas.

Pretty much 9 months ago I was in the same situation. Ended up bewteen the Panasonic ST50 or the Samsung PN51E6500. Very Similar TV's, I chose the Samsung because it used the same technology as in the higher end TVs (iirc 8000 series) and I liked the controls better then the Panasonic.

You can't go wrong with either. CNET has great review on both and good calibration settings for both as well.

Thunderfunk

Ready to race!

GTINAPLES

Ready to race!
I have the Samsung smart TV with the camera built in and 3D etc. It is awesome in every aspect of picture, best quality and I'm an electronics expert. I have a PC plugged in through HDMI and Bluetooth keyboard etc.

Don't forget Samsung makes quality. The best tv on market.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

greasyginzo

Go Kart Champion
Panny ZT all the way unless you can find someone willing to part with their Kuro. Or last years VT to save a few $...Sammy have problems with 24p and their black levels can't compete with Pannisonic

The only LED I would buy is a Sharp Elite

Last edited:

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
I've had my 52" Sony LCD TV for over 4yrs now.....ordered from Amazon.com. Works without a glitch since purchase/installed.

AlfaMikeF0xtr0t

Ready to race!
Are you in a dark(ish) room? Like many on this thread I am a fan of Plasmas and they tend to do a better job in low light areas.

Yeah, it's a darker room. If I do end up needing a TV I may go plasma this time, I've never had one. It seems my initial thoughts were right when compared to "the masses", Panasonic or Samsung.

melancholygypsy

Bring out the Gimp
Panny ZT all the way unless you can find someone willing to part with their Kuro. Or last years VT to save a few $...Sammy have problems with 24p and their black levels can't compete with Pannisonic

The only LED I would buy is a Sharp Elite

Sony makes good LED as well but again the Elite and the Sony full array models are 3500+ ... Edge lit LED is terrible IMO

glory

Ready to race!
Yeah, it's a darker room. If I do end up needing a TV I may go plasma this time, I've never had one. It seems my initial thoughts were right when compared to "the masses", Panasonic or Samsung.

I would strongly suggest a plasma then. A good quality one, with good blacks on contrast. Go to an electronics store and test some side by side. Hopefully they can turn the lights down for you. I did this and the blacks/contrast on my TV were way better then the next Samsung up. Mine looked black and the other Samsung looked more grey.

Try to bring HD trailers (higher res the better) and watch them on TV's you are looking at. Gives you a reference point.