GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

heated seats retrofit

GTIgolfmark7

I bought 5G0907044CF climate control to retrofit seats, but now when I press SYNC, I need to rotate the right temperature button to change both temperatures.
Is this maybe a climate control for a RHD car?
I see that 5G0907044CF exists with different numbers bellow. How to be sure that I can get the right one?

View attachment 161563

Doubt they're different, probably you can change it in VCDS?
Where's it located? maybe I can have a look for you as I have heated seat from factory (RHD car) :cool:

quadslo

A guy who does VCDS couldn't change it. He was able to code seat heating and windscreen heating. So everything works now.
This sticker is behind the climate control.

Screenshot 2019-12-17 at 21.14.58.png

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
A guy who does VCDS couldn't change it. He was able to code seat heating and windscreen heating. So everything works now.
This sticker is behind the climate control.

View attachment 161567

I looked in my coding backup, and didn't see anything about this module about a LHD/RHD option either. So there's nothing VCDS can do about it.

davide.bonetti

Ready to race!
I am darkchina811 on the Ross Tech forum. I am the one who found the Kufatec loom to be a bit short. it's been a while, I don't precisely remember how I routed the loom in the end. anyways, what bothered me the most is that the wiring is stupid expensive, Fing insane. I now have the knowledge to buy single connectors and pins, and make all the wiring/looms by myself, which I did for all subsequent retrofits, and I did plenty. trust me, no control module can detect you replaced a blue wire with a brown one, as long as the wire goes from A to B, the color don't matter at all.

VCDS now has a really cool feature, you can create HEX admaps, to restore at a later moment. so before replacing the BCM, dump the HEX map, replace the module and restore the file. done. of course don't forget the long coding.

no extra wires are needed for the Climatronic panel, the seat heating commands are transmitted over CAN-BUS. the MK6 procedure on Ross Tech's wiki works fine even for the MK7 panel. I am not aware of LHD/RHD versions for the panel, it could be parameterization, which is not an easy fix without the tools/knowledge.

moving the fuse box is insane, I thought I was clear on that. if seats are your only retrofit, I would add-a-fuse from the front. I added 8 fuses so I decided to pull the fusebox.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
VCDS now has a really cool feature, you can create HEX admaps, to restore at a later moment. so before replacing the BCM, dump the HEX map, replace the module and restore the file. done. of course don't forget the long coding.

What is this you speak of? Gotta do some reading now. Wonder if this feature is supported on my old Hex+Cann... on a 2015 Golf. I have a highline BCM sitting in my living room now... been dreading the manual coding. Besides the HEX restore and Long Coding which I can (hopefully) do myself, do I need the dealer for anything else besides removing CP, parametirazation or the like?

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Not having an easy time finding the info about this hex restore but it does seem I need to upgrade to a more current interface. The replacement BCM I have is brand new from VW but is the replacement called out by ETKA for my VIN. Dealer should have none of the issues that I've read about when people retrofit modules that aren't "applicable" to their vehicle.

I need to find out what their charge is for BCM replacement and key fob pairing. I suppose I could always let them complete everything and then do the hex restore to bring back my changes.

davide.bonetti, do you know how the hex restore behaves when the new module has functions the old one did not? Does it just ignore those?

davide.bonetti

Ready to race!
if the BCM you bought is BRAND NEW from VW then it is NOT parameterized. VCDS cannot write parameters, so let the dealer handle the full swapping procedure.

you need to backup your changes because when dealer is done your BCM will be like from factory. also remember to bring all keyfobs, usually two.

if the part you bought is what ETKA calls for your VIN, there won't be any difference in functions so you can restore your backup.

I don't know if HEX admaps are possible with older interfaces, I have the latest cable.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I found out I need the newer cable. I have a friend with 3 older VWs that wants to buy my cable (he has borrowed it a few times) so I'll sell it to him and upgrade or use the VCDS trade-in program. BCM is brand new and was called out by ETKA so hopefully the HEX admap restore will work. I would suspect all matching addresses to be the same between my stock low and the replacement high BCM. That should mean the restore would "ignore" the channels present in the high that were missing in my low as there will be no backed up info. I'll shoot VCDS an email to verify. So I'm thinking this should be my procedure:

1) Backup current settings with VCDS (long coding and adaptations, will do the HEX admap as well)
2) Drive to dealer, replace BCM myself... I know FOBs won't work but key will start engine, car is non-KESSY, will just leave it unlocked at the dealer
3) Leave car with them to run through their guided BCM replacement... ensure they pair both FOBs, parameterize, etc.
4) Get car back and re-do the changes as required from my backup... long coding and hopefully HEX admap restore, otherwise manually using WinMerge to compare
5) Make changes to new channels present on the highline BCM to enable heated seats, finally

Does this sound correct, anything out of order or that I'm missing? I appreciate the help from you and everyone else in this thread.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Been a long time since I've been in this thread, but here's my update on this not yet finished project. The short version is the dealer, and whoever they are calling at VWoA, do not appear to know much about coding/adaptations... long version is below if you're looking for some light reading, haha.

1) I ordered a BCM from the dealer, the one called out in ETKA as the replacement for my BCM... had 5Q0-937-087Q and replaced with 5Q0-937-087S which ETKA says is the replacement for -Q and -R BCM's. I checked this BCM and it has all the pins my old one was missing, perfect!

2) Was quoted 3 hours by the dealer to replace and program new BCM... work to be done at the same visit as my 30k service

3) The day before dropping the car off... fresh auto-scan and adaptation maps of every module in the car, including BCM (which has no faults)
- Note: I have Mk7.5 tail lights with JBale harness so a few of my adaptations for rear tail lights have been changed... so I expect those errors when I get the car back, no big deal

4) Got the car back, noted that my key fobs did not work (car will start of course since BCM isn't tied to immobilizer)
- Quick VCDS scan shows a single BCM fault, "Remote Control - Missing Calibration/Basic Setting)... makes sense, and means they didn't scan for faults after replacing the BCM

5) Went home, took adaptation map, then pulled out the coding worksheet for my tails... start of the problems
- when I first coded the tails I wrote the original values beside each changed value on the coding sheet... my new BCM "original values" are different... why?
- so before making any changes I decide to turn on my headlights... dashboard gives me errors for tails (expected) but also for front headlights and parking lights (these are new)

6) So I pull up my "new original" ad-map and my "old original" ad-map in WinMerge and notice hundreds of differences
- weird ones like rear windshield tear drop wipe not active but also my front light channels now match the coding of cars with xenons, rear bulb types are all LED, and many more

7) Car goes back to the dealer, tell them I need key fobs paired and adaptation maps coded

8) Pick up car a day or two later, dealer says everything is good except some lighting faults... okay

9) I drive to an empty parking space... both key fobs now lock/unlock... take an adaptation map and nothing has changed
- dealer is closing, I want to leave car there but they want me to take it home, which means I have to bring it back, again

10) Took the car back this morning, a different tech was supposed to work the car, whom I spoke with about my specific problem, the adaption maps

11) Dealer calls and says they called VW (I assume VWoA) for assistance and were told they cannot change coding but the tech that was working my car (and made the call I assume) has gone home
- they tell me I can come get the car but I opt to leave it there... I work 2 miles from home, I'd rather walk to/from work for a week than make all these dealer trips

12) Dealer says they have documentation from VW to show me in the morning stating they aren't supposed to change coding, uggghhh

I can only assume this paperwork is referring to long coding. That makes perfect sense; and I don't want the dealer to change long coding anyway (the long coding actually matches on all my scans). I cannot (yet) get them to understand that adaptation maps are not the same as long coding, and that adaptation maps should be "coded" by them, based on my car's factory installed equipment. As it stands, it appears my new highline BCM is coded for a higher trim level vehicle (a car that would have come with this BCM, one with the lighting package at least).

I have to think their guided BCM replacement should ask for my VIN at some point, and use that to perform parameterization and adaptation mapping. If not, then how could the dealer actually replace a failed BCM? Parts cannot find my original BCM (5Q0-937-087Q) in their system meaning they would have to replace it with a -S BCM if I had an actual failure, which also tracks with I've read about VW only keeping the highline version of a given module in stock.

Furthermore, if they had actually gone through the complete BCM replacement process I suspect it would have told them to pair the key fobs. And even if the guided function didn't tell them that, a fault scan would have revealed the Remote Control fault in the module. Then again, this is probably my fault for going back to them... they did the coding for my AID and did not complete it fully, failing to input my car's mileage. My AID odometer reads ~6,000 miles, car has over 30k on it.

Part of me says cut my "losses" and set all my adaptation maps manually, which will take hours. Of course, I don't know what most of the channels mean as they're in German. I don't like changing things when I don't know what they are... but would you guys agree that it should be safe to match all the channels on my new BCM to what my car came with out of the factory? I would think it's safe, but right now any damage caused by incorrect adaptation mapping is the dealer's responsibility. Once I start messing with things that responsibility becomes mine.

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
I'm sorry to hear of all these troubles. As to your last part, you can easily translate the adaptation maps to German using Google translate. It's far from perfect, but it's helped me immensely. What I've done is pasted my admap into Google sheets, inserted a column to the left which is just a number key (so I can change the sort order of the rows using column filters, and always be able to resort back to the original order). Then I copy the admap info and paste it into google translate, and paste the translation into a new column. Google translate can't translate words separated by "_" which appear on some admap rows, so I do a find and replace command to get rid of those and replace with a space character, and repaste into google translate. I've also added a column to assign what function a cluster of rows is assigned to (e.g., left turn signals, right turn signals, fog lights, alarm, heated seats, etc)

Here's my translated admap (it's based on an OBDeleven backup), if it helps you set up a version of your own database:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1wgja3lpznhpjmCiM7YXu5FEuT15s8DgUnGaKg2GsGJU

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
That's pretty sweet, I've got the differences report from winmerge. It matches up all channels so even with it in German I can manually change everything to match. Just left the dealer, things are going south, no offense, haha.

Dealer is saying VW engineering told them to match long coding with my long coding from 2015. This makes sense and the long coding matches. The tech says he can manually change adaptations at a cost of 4hrs additional labor, which is not going to happen.

I asked if we could call VW engineering together but was told they have to make the request and wait on a call back. I'm hoping they can conference me in. The tech says VW doesn't want them to manually change adaptations (and I don't want them to either). I just want them to complete adaptations using my VIN. Tech is saying the car has to be put back to stock before they can troubleshoot any outstanding issues. My contention is that we don't need to troubleshoot anything until the adaptations have been done.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
So... it appears the adaptations have been done... dealer called and said car was ready, didn't give me any details but I assume they found the guided/automated way to do it as I wasn't charged any additional labor. Pulled an adaptation map in the parking lot. I don't have WinMerge on the laptop but a quick check of all the lighting channels that were showing Xenon before has been corrected to match what my car had out of the factory. My horn now works with lock/unlock, the weird "driver profile" menu on the infotainment is gone and I no longer have several dash alerts when I turn on the headlights.

I'll pull the ad maps up in WinMerge when I get home but I'm cautiously optimistic... even got the expected reverse light error with my Mk7.5 tail coding having not been done. Now just need the time to lay in the harnesses for the heated seats and swap the A/C controls.