GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How many miles out of our dcc shocks?

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Maybe a stupid question..
but does race mode put more wear on the shocks than comfort... or is it comfort because its doing more work to dampen things?

My guess is the pistons go up and down more often in race mode, so I'd say race mode will wear them out faster.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
How would you rate your roads Sandman?

Living in LA is kind of a mixed bag so not sure what to expect. At 32k and everything seems to be going well so far (touch wood).

I live in small town so roads good.
Most road hazards I have memorized in order to avoid.
But, we make 7 hour round trips to Alabama often to visit Mother In-law in nursing home. On this drive some roads good and some not.
I know many deal with worse roads.
But I do not think I would own a GTI if it was not for DCC.
It helps that much. I always suggest one buy it if over 25 years of age.

Last edited:

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
Maybe a stupid question..
but does race mode put more wear on the shocks than comfort... or is it comfort because its doing more work to dampen things?

The "wear" in a shock mainly takes place at the piston seals and rod seals. Changing your shock settings between Comfort, Normal, and Race modes alters the amount/time of the oil flow between the chambers within the shock, and thus the speed at which the components move against each other. Running in Race mode slows down the speed of the piston within the shock cylinder (as well as the rod through its seal) due to the increased viscous drag and thus should reduce the wear rate within the shock, though the associated bushings on the shock and other suspension components will wear more quickly, as they will be exposed to greater loads on each impact. Whether or not this reduction in piston speed will make any sort of tangible difference in the lifetime of our shocks is beyond me.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Corvettes did go well with sportcoats with padded shoulders. . .

Maybe, but when's the last time you seen a 'Vette pulled over by the PPD? When I had mine the only time I was pulled over was when the officer thought I had an expired inspection sticker. I got it on the first available day and he wasn't up on the color. He apologized twice. And this was after I did a burnout from a light and doing a lot more than a little over the posted speed limit. He pulled a U-turn to tell me. I thought he was stopping me for reckless.

Noize1

Ready to race!
Depending on conditions, of course, but I'd be pretty sad if I don't see 100k. The roads here are smooth as glass.

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
The "wear" in a shock mainly takes place at the piston seals and rod seals. Changing your shock settings between Comfort, Normal, and Race modes alters the amount/time of the oil flow between the chambers within the shock, and thus the speed at which the components move against each other. Running in Race mode slows down the speed of the piston within the shock cylinder (as well as the rod through its seal) due to the increased viscous drag and thus should reduce the wear rate within the shock, though the associated bushings on the shock and other suspension components will wear more quickly, as they will be exposed to greater loads on each impact. Whether or not this reduction in piston speed will make any sort of tangible difference in the lifetime of our shocks is beyond me.
EXCELLENT explanation!

FTOP I have ~75k on my DCC, VWR springs for 30k of that, and shocks passed inspection w/ no leaks recently so i guess they are good if that is the only indicator of them going bad

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
I'd probably replace mine with Bilstein B6's if they ever wear appreciably during my ownership of the car. Would probably be cheaper than the OEM parts, and probably last longer.
I'm currently waiting on my B6 front struts to come over from Germany (the rear shocks were in stock). They come with a lifetime warranty.

Spoolin

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2015 Golf R
I'm currently waiting on my B6 front struts to come over from Germany (the rear shocks were in stock). They come with a lifetime warranty.

Please share your thoughts after you get these installed and put a few miles on them. What's the ETA on the fronts? Hoping to put these on within the next few months.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
This. Dcc’s kinda mimic what koni did with their FSD shocks way back in the day. But instead of allowing shock to open an oil path it’s controlled electronically

looking at older Audi’s that had digishocks way before the gti did. I’m going to take an educational guess. I’ll say 70-100k miles. Though I’m sure their age will show sooner.

leaving the shocks in a permanent sport or race mode won’t allow for full articulation. And as mentioned, other systems will definitely get a bit more stressed.

but at the end of the day. A car is a consumable item. The Whole thing. Send it.