GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How much would it take for you to leave your job?

GOBbluth

Ready to race!
Assume that you like your job just fine. It's a good job and you make good money. No real complaints. You're single making 60 to 80k.

You're then offered another job. Another job that you know is also a good job. Perhaps even a little more relaxed than your old job.

So you like both jobs about the same. Of course on the one side you have, fear that the grass may not be greener, loyalty, and it kinda sucks to start anew again. So lets say that the only real consideration would be money.

For how much more a year would you leave? 5k more, 10k more, 15k?

SayaGTI

www.meatspin.com
20k a year more would get me to switch

Jason3D

Go Kart Champion
Sometimes it can be good to change just to broaden your horizons, continue learning, and grow so even taking the same pay could have some long term benefit with changing. However in the short term, I would probably need 15-20k more to justify the risk of leaving what I'm doing to take a gamble on something else. I like my job a lot too though.

McQueen77

Banned
thats a hard call because i'm used to my schedule now which is unorthodox. haven't worked a 9-5 in... god i don't know, 10 years.. it'd have to be quite a bit more money to part with the schedule i have now.

CodeB4U

Go Kart Champion
Visit the job site, meet the people working there....if a hot slut works there...sign me up. lmao. JK.

SkullV

Thunderbunny.....
I'm assuming you are looking at a lateral move? Small firm to big firm? Other way around? What type of law? Something you are more interested in or same thing?

chinqutie

Go Kart Champion
at least 20k. medicare changes make me hate my job.

mkvince

Go Kart Champion
IMO, beside salary increase, you need to consider a lot of factors such as benefits packages, vacations, the new working environment, the job security, opportunity to grow and climb up, learning new things, the commute differences, etc. Compare the 2 and see which you like the most, which one fits you the most. I know how it feels when you have to start fresh, but hey, sometimes jumping around help you gain more experience and give your more exposure, and that helps you in the long run. At the end of the day, it's what you want. Don't just use salary increase as a sole factor in your consideration.

I took a slight decrease in salary when I changed my job. However, the new company provided me a much better benefit package, slower-paced working environment, I could buy company stock, better working hours, better security and got paid 1.5x for OT (straight time for the old companies). I also jumped down in term of rank in the company and had to start new things, but I believe the new company will be better for me in the long run.

Good luck man!

GTIMKV20

APR Stage I
I too switched for a pay decrease.. but have been at new place for 3+ years, been promoted, salary increases way past my old salary and MUCH better work environment. With all that said I still hate my job.. lol

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
There are many other reasons besides money that you need to look for in a job. Sure, that 80K or 100K may seem appealing, but understand the actual job, the responsibilities, benefits, etc. etc. might not always seen "greener" on the other side.

If money was the case I would be making $132K right now with very skim benefits at a small company as a Contractor doing detailed analysis for rockets for the Military. Seeing as though it was only contractual basis the benefits SUCKED. I'm the only provider for my family right now until January, the job wasnt worth the risk.

A different approach (It doesnt apply to you since your single, but something to keep your mind thinking because, again, money isnt everything). I was offered a Job at APR for slightly more than what I'm making now with less benefits. Seems like a dream job, I was so ready to take it, but I couldnt uproot my wife and her amazing offer she got for her dream job. I wasnt going to steal her dreams away just so I can have mine. I respectfully declined and continue my work today here at Honda. Its a great company that offers so much as far as my future goes. I've traveled the entire nation, and soon to Japan and Germany. This is just within the first 2 years I've been here. I dont regret the choice.

Think of your current situation and WHY you love it, and why you dont. Look for those aspects during an interview. I've asked our interviewees "Why did you choose Honda?" "Why are you leaving your current Job?" ....just things to think about.

A_Bowers

I have been on the same boat as you here lately.....leave the HUGELY stable power company to do what I truly enjoy, but the e
Industry that I like is terribly unstable.

I took a 12k initial pay cut to come where I am now.

Benefits are super stable company vehicle excellent benefits and huge ability to move In the company. And its a day job.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
I have been on the same boat as you here lately.....leave the HUGELY stable power company to do what I truly enjoy, but the e
Industry that I like is terribly unstable.

I took a 12k initial pay cut to come where I am now.

Benefits are super stable company vehicle excellent benefits and huge ability to move In the company. And its a day job.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD

DING DING DING!

Honda is 7:30-4 and anything outside of that is Fully Paid OT. No exceptions. I gave myself a raise just by coming in 30-45mins early.

GOBbluth

Ready to race!
I'm assuming you are looking at a lateral move? Small firm to big firm? Other way around? What type of law? Something you are more interested in or same thing?

From a small firm to a government job that may actually pay more. Again, no real complaints and not at all the stereotypical horribly long hours. But gov job would have more vacation time and presumably better benefits.

I'm very familiar with the agency. So I understand what y'all are saying but bc I do like my current job, and know the potential job very well, they're both great. So it really does come down to money in this case...it really is the only thing it would make me switch.

I'm just having a hard time figuring out my price.