GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

how often do u replace the cam follower ?

pb4ugoout

Ready to race!
Mine looked nothing like that at 50k. Like I said. Check it every other oil change at the latest, but if replacement isn't necessary then save the money! That said, it's probably a good idea to keep one on hand if you plan on keeping the car for any length of time.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
As mentioned above, everyone's car is slightly different. I've been changing mine out about every 20k miles. I haven't taken the time to check to see what cam revision I'm on yet, but I do know it's scored pretty badly. But, even with the scoring, I'm getting decently uniform wear and have yet to see the concaveness that some are seeing. Drivetrain is completely stock.

Ignore the red on the follower, it's not bleeding, it's just the reflection from my hood. New one on the left / After 20k miles on the right.

ECS Tuning

Go Kart Champion

ECS recommends checking your cam follower:

- Every 5-10k miles on highly modified cars
- Every 20-30k miles on stock cars

For our install PDF please click - Here

For more information and kits please click - Here

Andy

M0riarty

I've changed it every 20K and have gone through 4 followers to date (about to roll over 125K - learned about the cam problem when I was at 40K). To me the wear rate has been acceptable but it did see a noticeable improvement in wear pattern when I switched over to Rotella T6 (for the last 2 followers). This is on an "A" cam BTW.

Car has had GIAC software + S3 IC + APR Downpipe for the life of the car.

CKGTI

Ready to race!
i never do.

when i take mine out i just colour the silver scratchy area with a permanent marker and put it back in.

** the permanent marker has to be black tho

bfly

Sorry to piggyback(didn't get a response in the other thread I posted in), but has anyone had to deal with a stuck cam follower that refuses to come out? It is caked on and I can't get it out.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Sorry to piggyback(didn't get a response in the other thread I posted in), but has anyone had to deal with a stuck cam follower that refuses to come out? It is caked on and I can't get it out.

Caked on to the HPFP? Caked in the hole of the block? Caked on with oil? I'm trying to visualize this based on your description. If it's not free floating and easily removable, I don't think it can do its job properly.

bfly

Yup, in the hole in the block. Not free floating, just stuck in there. It also has a massive right through it. Check engine light popped on and I started to experience common cam failure symptoms so I decided to check and was greeted with this wonderful surprise. I know I will need to replace the hpfuel pump and cam follower at a minimum.

kishmack92

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2007 VW GTi Black
Yup, in the hole in the block. Not free floating, just stuck in there. It also has a massive right through it. Check engine light popped on and I started to experience common cam failure symptoms so I decided to check and was greeted with this wonderful surprise. I know I will need to replace the hpfuel pump and cam follower at a minimum.

You'll have to replace the camshaft while you're at it. I don't see how the cam follower can be stuck. It comes out super easy, just floats in there. The only thing I could think is if you've never changed your oil and it's sludged up.

How many miles? I would get VW to do the work if you're under 100k or 120k (can't remember the cut off).

mushages

Ready to race!
Car(s)
07 GTi DSG
Every 15k KM which is about 9320.5 miles

SuperSkyline89

Das Schiesse
Car(s)
2008 CW GTI
I think people are overly cautious with these things and ultimately end up wasting money. It's like a 3000 mile oil change. Get some calipers and see what the thickness of the metal is. Compare that to new spec and make an actual determination based on fact. Mine didn't look much different than ^^^^ and it had over 50k on it, on a Stage 2 APR tune. 5k, and even 10k seems excessive. I get the whole, $50 is cheaper that replacing your engine but come on....at some point it gets ridiculous! I'll also give you the argument that each car is different and each follower will wear differently. Which is exactly why you should put calipers on it and check it every 5-10k, or with each oil change. When it's more than a reasonable degree out of new spec then replace it. Otherwise it's just money down the drain.

An important thing my mechanic told me to look for is the wear pattern as opposed to simply how thick it looks. When it's functioning properly it spins so the surface wears evenly. If one area is more worn than the rest it isn't spinning and you should replace it because all estimates go down the drain at that point.

Some people say you don't have to check every single oil change but I check mine with every oil change because I simply don't trust VW. Mine failed before I knew how serious of an issue it can be and since I'm Canadian and my car is a 2008 VW told me to shove it so as far as I'm concerned I have absolutely zero faith in them anymore. I don't trust that part to last.

pb4ugoout

Ready to race!
I think it's stupid that some countries got a TSB and extended warranty and others didn't. It's not like the cam follower parts were different from country to country.

And for the record, I never said not to check it. I simply said to check and exercise some common sense when replacing.

SuperSkyline89

Das Schiesse
Car(s)
2008 CW GTI
I think it's stupid that some countries got a TSB and extended warranty and others didn't. It's not like the cam follower parts were different from country to country.

And for the record, I never said not to check it. I simply said to check and exercise some common sense when replacing.

I know, just adding a bit more of my two cents. Even my mechanic says I'm being a bit too careful but I have zero faith in these parts holding up unless I can see them with my own eyes.

bfly

Here are some pics. Absolutely no wiggle...stuck. It's been breaking off into pieces as I tried to pull it off with pliers. I change oil every 3k, but I have to top it off pretty frequently..but it's possibly an oil issue because this follower looks welded on..I think only heat could possible loosen it.

You'll have to replace the camshaft while you're at it. I don't see how the cam follower can be stuck. It comes out super easy, just floats in there. The only thing I could think is if you've never changed your oil and it's sludged up.

How many miles? I would get VW to do the work if you're under 100k or 120k (can't remember the cut off).

DC Dubber

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
Damn dude that's pretty nasty. That camshaft is scored heavily. How many miles do you have? If you're under 120k I wouldn't waste my time trying to get that thing outta there. Sew her back up, if you have any, remove as many visible mods as you can, intake etc. And take her to the dealer with the codes. They should replace all of that under the well known TSB. Had mine done @ 52k and it looked even worse then yours. The plunger for the HPFP was basically gone. They replaced it all, HPFP, Camshaft etc. no questions asked.

Last edited: